Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Justin Upton - *Reds willing to Trade SS

Justin Upton - *Reds willing to Trade SS

"in a deal for Justin Upton. Arizona wants a young shortstop"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...e-simmons.html

The Diamondbacks want a young SS for Justin Upton... The Reds should package Cosart + for Upton and let Didi take over at SS... Bat him 8th and let Upton go back to 30 HR between Votto and Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton - *Reds willing to Trade SS

Cozart is over 2 years older than Upton, they want a young guy with big time upside not get older on a guy with no MLB track record.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Cozart is over 2 years older than Upton, they want a young guy with big time upside not get older on a guy with no MLB track record.
    I respectively disagree, Upton is partly a salary dump because he makes 14/15 million in 14 & 15 and Cozart may be 2 years older but the Rangers aren't trading Andrus or Profar, so the Market is set and Cozart is a valuable SS, especially for Arizona... Throw in Mike Leake and a couple minor leaguers where we have depth and I think Towers would make the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I respectively disagree, Upton is partly a salary dump because he makes 14/15 million in 14 & 15 and Cozart may be 2 years older but the Rangers aren't trading Andrus or Profar, so the Market is set and Cozart is a valuable SS, especially for Arizona... Throw in Mike Leake and a couple minor leaguers where we have depth and I think Towers would make the trade.
    If we could get him for that we would already have him.

If we could get him for that we would already have him.
    We're talking about the offseason and the GM Meetings just started... I am not saying Upton will be traded to the Reds... I think I am defending the Reds Trade Chips at this point with you...

We're talking about the offseason and the GM Meetings just started... I am not saying Upton will be traded to the Reds... I think I am defending the Reds Trade Chips at this point with you...
    There is zero chance the D-Backs trade a young hitter who just turned 25 in late August for a SS who is 27 in the same month and has done next to nothing in the majors and a end of the rotation SP in Leake.

Upton 117 OPS+
    for
    Cozart 82 OPS+
    Leake 97 ERA+

These two players would need to be the 2nd and 3rd p[layers with a far bigger upside player going to the snakes as the top player.

There is zero chance the D-Backs trade a young hitter who just turned 25 in late August for a SS who is 27 in the same month and has done next to nothing in the majors and a end of the rotation SP in Leake.

Upton 117 OPS+
    for
    Cozart 82 OPS+
    Leake 97 ERA+

These two players would need to be the 2nd and 3rd p[layers with a far bigger upside player going to the snakes as the top player.
    You can use the sabermetrics all you want but that doesn't change the fact of supply and demand... Cozart has to be on the list of Towers because he is available... Andrus is not. Profar is not. Tulo is not, plus he makes too much money... Yunel Escobar is there but makes too much money for the Diamondbacks...

I am not sure who you think the Diamondbacks are going to get? I guess one baseball trade that would make sense is Cabrera from Cleveland for Upton but Cabrera still makes too much money to make sense for Arizona...

If you try to tell me Tyler Pastornicky is a better option, that can be argued but you still don't know if he's going to be a light hit, all glove SS and that really doesn't make a difference because Cozart is Gold Glove Caliber.

IMO Cozart, Leake, and 2 prospects could get the deal done...

You must go off of Trades in the last 2/3 years for comparables...

The last Impact 25/26 Year Old Bat who was traded was Michael Bourn from Houston for

LHP Brett Oberholtzer, Mississippi (AA)
    RHP Paul Clemens, Mississippi (AA)
    RHP Juan Abreu, Gwinnett (AAA)
    OF Jordan Schafer, Atlanta

from Atlanta...

So you'd have to go off of a trade like that and Upton makes far more $ the next 3 years than Bourn did...

Now you'll probably go off on a comparison of Upton and Bourn... Which I can assure you I don't need you to do because they are young outfielders, albeit different skill sets...

Bourn 8.3 WAR 3 years prior to trade

Upton 7.7 WAR 3 Years prior to this offseason

You can use the sabermetrics all you want but that doesn't change the fact of supply and demand... Cozart has to be on the list of Towers because he is available... Andrus is not. Profar is not. Tulo is not, plus he makes too much money... Yunel Escobar is there but makes too much money for the Diamondbacks...

I am not sure who you think the Diamondbacks are going to get? I guess one baseball trade that would make sense is Cabrera from Cleveland for Upton but Cabrera still makes too much money to make sense for Arizona...

If you try to tell me Tyler Pastornicky is a better option, that can be argued but you still don't know if he's going to be a light hit, all glove SS and that really doesn't make a difference because Cozart is Gold Glove Caliber.

IMO Cozart, Leake, and 2 prospects could get the deal done...

You must go off of Trades in the last 2/3 years for comparables...

The last Impact 25/26 Year Old Bat who was traded was Michael Bourn from Houston for

LHP Brett Oberholtzer, Mississippi (AA)
    RHP Paul Clemens, Mississippi (AA)
    RHP Juan Abreu, Gwinnett (AAA)
    OF Jordan Schafer, Atlanta

from Atlanta...

So you'd have to go off of a trade like that and Upton makes far more $ the next 3 years than Bourn did...

Now you'll probably go off on a comparison of Upton and Bourn... Which I can assure you I don't need you to do because they are young outfielders, albeit different skill sets...

Bourn 8.3 WAR 3 years prior to trade

Upton 7.7 WAR 3 Years prior to this offseason
    Supply and demand is right, they have the supply of Justin Upton and they demand a young SS or they don't have to deal. A 27yo who already has used up some service time with poor results isn't what they want when they already have aversion of that on their roster.

Tyler Pastornicky or Andrelton Simmons from the Braves are better optiona than Cozart and when you factor in they will be 23 and can play 4 full years to be the same age as ZC and his 82 OPS+ then when you also factor in if the Rangers could get one of the 2 SS prospects from the Braves they would also add more talent from their deep system to which will be better than both Cozart or Leake.

No trade is comparable with another, and especially one done by the previous Astros GM who gave away every named player on his roster with next to nothing to show for it.

Didi Gregorius & Leake might get Upton

The Rays are #2 behind the Rangers for Upton according to Ken Rosenthal and they are talking about Shields or Hellickson along with SS Hak-Ju Lee so we would have to step up our game far deeper than most all the names mentioned here so at least a Top-50 overall prospect is going to be in there someplace.

I can't see us paying the high asking price.

Kind of thinking we may end up pulling off a trade like we did for Latos last year that kind of came out of the blue.

If not Upton I think Yoenis Cespedes should be plan B

Cozart is probably a bit too old, but I like the idea of acquiring Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    If not Upton I think Yoenis Cespedes should be plan B
    Beane isn't going on a fire sale again anytime soon, and that is the only way he trades Cespedes.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

Turn Off Ads?