Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Are the unwritten rules of baseball open to interpretation?

Are the unwritten rules of baseball open to interpretation?

I think Hawk is wrong on this one....

http://www.raysindex.com/2012/05/haw...ted-video.html

Here's a link to a story that gives the needed context:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?hpt=hp_t2
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Are the unwritten rules of baseball open to interpretation?

Of course they are open to interpretation.... they are unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course they are open to interpretation.... they are unwritten.
    But Hawk is blowing a gasket as if there is only one interpretation.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If it had been the other way around Harrelson would have had a totally different reaction. He such a blatant homer its not even funny. I rarely watch White Sox broadcast because of him. He's just mind numbing. I never understood why people like him unless you are a die hard White Sox fan.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watched the game and that video isn't the end of Hawk's rant. He went on and on. I agree with Harrelson but think his rant was boarderline libelous.

The whole thing started earlier in the series when Pierzynski went hard into second base and Zobrist felt it was harder than necessary. The Rays' pitcher Cobb first hits Beckham and then Pierzynski. There were no warnings issued at that time! The umpire should have issued warnings. There is no excuse for that!

When the White Sox pitcher threw behind Zobrist's legs (didn't even hit him), the umpire should have then issued the warnings rather than ejecting the pitcher.

I am not a White Sox or Harrleson fan, but I think the umpire was wrong here.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    . There were no warnings issued at that time! The umpire should have issued warnings. There is no excuse for that!

When the White Sox pitcher threw behind Zobrist's legs (didn't even hit him), the umpire should have then issued the warnings rather than ejecting the pitcher.

I am not a White Sox or Harrleson fan, but I think the umpire was wrong here.
    Yea the umpire should have issued warnings IMO. Unless the pitcher gives you the impression he did it intentionally by a gesture or saying something then give him the benefit of doubt and just issue warnings.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

It is pretty clear that you are not allowed to throw at hitters. The ball went behind the hitter, a clear attempt to try to hit him.

Written Rule> Unwritten Rule.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

In my mind, the context is pretty important. AJP spiked Zobrist in what I'd call a dirty move first because he spiked Zobrist and second because there was no need for contact to begin with on that play. AJP got plunked the next day. As unwritten rules go, it's over as things are even steven even though the Rays were late to pull the trigger. But then Quintana throwsa ball about a mile and a half behind Zobrist while AJP doesn't even lean the slightest in that direction.

IMHO, only Hawk didn't think the events were linked.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    In my mind, the context is pretty important. AJP spiked Zobrist in what I'd call a dirty move first because he spiked Zobrist and second because there was no need for contact to begin with on that play. AJP got plunked the next day. As unwritten rules go, it's over as things are even steven even though the Rays were late to pull the trigger. But then Quintana throwsa ball about a mile and a half behind Zobrist while AJP doesn't even lean the slightest in that direction..
    It was a hard, late slide by Pierzynski, but to me, it appears the bag took the force. But, that isn't the main point.

The main problem was the lack of warning. Rays' pitcher, Alex Cobb, had already hit the White Sox second baseman. There should have been a warning at that point. That should have been the "things are even" point. "Eye for an eye" or "middle infielder for middle infielder" point. Whatever, the warning should have been issued. When Pierzynski gets hit, he still does not issue a warning. What? The umpire knew the situation and failed twice to issue a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    IMHO, only Hawk didn't think the events were linked.
    He understood they were linked. He gave a "tutorial" for several more innings. The point, again, had to do with the lack of a warning before the ejection.
    Last edited by Spitball; 05-31-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?