Worth The Wait

Grey's Anatomy = Awful.

Someone had to say it, might as well be me

http://edkleese.blogspot.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grey's Anatomy = Awful.

it's the most important show this fall season

I've never watched it. But it looks like crap.

And that doctor was once Ronald Miller from Can't Buy Me Love.

Weenus.

Edit: Okay, so now that I read the blog piece I realize that Ed covered the Ronald Miller business.

But did you know that Courtney Gaines, the guy who plays Ronald's erstwhile friend in CBML, also played "Malachai" in Children of the Corn?

Top that, Ed.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-05-2006 at 07:39 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Good stuff. I've never seen the show and, after reading your piece of scathe, I never will.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The thing I can't stand about these medical shows is the insistence of playing the hospital background noises: beep, beep, beep....

I had to stop watching ER because it is just too much drama to take- you've seen one emergency room operation you've seen them all, so 14 years of it gets a bit old.

Television doesn't have to be that realistic. I don't need the constant heart rate monitor sounding off to each pulse anymore than I need to see Dr. McDreamy sitting on the toilet.

Yes, I know it happens in real life, but some things we can just assume are happening without seeing them.

The second I heard the beeps on Grey's Anatomy....click.

That noise reminds of me of being in Shillito's as a kid...they used to have a beep that went over the intercom that cut through me at six years of age.

I HATE THIS SHOW.

Every chick I know loves it unconditionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

That noise reminds of me of being in Shillito's as a kid...they used to have a beep that went over the intercom that cut through me at six years of age.
    Oh, crap, I know that tone: like the abattoir doors had opened.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    it's the most important show this fall season

Oh, SNAP!!

:
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Oh, crap, I know that tone: like the abattoir doors had opened.
    What on earth did they use that for? Ding, ding, ding....

My Mother would drag me shopping as a kid and if we went there I would just bawl.

Also hated the trips to McAlpin's in Cherry Grove. They had a toy section the size of a shoebox. But I don't think they had that noise....

Anyway- Ed, nice job with the piece, but if sex romps bohter you, I'd stay away from Nip/Tuck.

When that show is on, I am usually reading, and I always ask my girlfriend if all they do on that show is have sex. I'll have my nose in one of my James Madison books and suddenly hear those...um...sounds, and it's like, geesh enough already.

I'm no prude, trust me, but at some point I start to wonder why I pay for Cinemax....(if Nip/Tuck were on in the early 80s, it would be ON Plus lol...)

I love this show. I'm so glad there's finally a show out there that doesn't demonize women for doing 1/10th of what men have done for centuries. And portrays them in an intelligent and savvy light, and makes the show about THEM and their careers and rather than having their lives revolve totally around men.

Oh, and Meredith never slept with McVet, and McDreamy never told her he was married until the second season. And Izzy didn't kill Denny - he died of a stroke.

And that's not even mentioning some of Grey's more positive features: 3 African American major castmembers, 1 Latina, 1 Korean.

Just out of curiousity for Ed: would you respond in the negative fashion with the equivalent of the 'w' word if this was a show about 4 guys who slept with more than one person in their entire life? Because I can't help escape the notion that some of the negative backlash towards this show (and there actually is very little - it's doing a 23-25 in the Nielsens right now), much like Sex and the City, is grounded in this extraordinarily hypocritical and distorted notion that men who have sleep with more than one person are bachelors whereas the women are the w or s word.

Worth The Wait

letsgo--

First of all, it's all a big joke. Kinda just pokin' fun at the whole explosion in popularity.

I actually find the "PC" stuff in the show to be somewhat force-fed. It's as if they are trying TOO hard to accomplish the things you mention. And if they REALLY wanted to make a show about female surgeons accomplishing great professional things, they'd leave out the other stuff all together-- but of course they can't do that because no one would watch.

As for the "W" word. I probably would not use that term to describe a man in the same situation. Your're right. And it IS a bit hypocritical, no doubt. However, it's a generalized, humor-piece about a FICTIONAL show, so everything is exxagerrated and over-the-top, both the show and my take on it.

Like I said, it's purely a joke.

I bet that they don't do the African Anteater Dance on that show....

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I bet that they don't do the African Anteater Dance on that show....
    This isn't American Bandstand.

And that ain't Dick Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    Just out of curiousity for Ed: would you respond in the negative fashion with the equivalent of the 'w' word if this was a show about 4 guys who slept with more than one person in their entire life?
    Don't know about Ed, but I would. Don brought up Nip and Tuck (funny, I was going to bring it up as well). The main surgeon nails every chick who takes up a frame of film. After a while, its just parody -- along the lines of the housewife and meter-reader.

Another thing that bothers me about shows like Ally McBeal and Sex and the City is the way they do revolve around men. And those men are stereotyped, usually by their profession -- the dorky comic-book shop guy, the button-down lawyer, the flighty artist. Then they play off those stereotypes, the comic-book guy is great in bed while the agressive businessman is passive in bed, etc.... In short, its reductive garbage. Pass.
    Last edited by Rojo; 10-05-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Turn Off Ads?