Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Team USA Basketball Thread

Team USA Basketball Thread

Anyone watching Team USA. It is an interesting bunch. They have no post presence at all. Dwight Howard looks lost and Boozer doesn't play much. Instead, they run the fast break relentlessly.

Defensively, they dare the team to bring the ball up the floor with Paul, LeBron, and Kobe hounding their guards. But, when the other team gets in their half-court set, they usually get a decent look.

This team is very good but very beatable. If they run into a team with a solid PG who can bring the ball up the floor and the team can move the ball around, they could be in trouble.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Team USA Basketball Thread

The good international teams will choke off that fast break and clog up the middle on the US. Eventually, it will come down to how well they shoot the 3 to unclog the middle. Their downfall in previous years is that they couldn't do that.

Defensively, they have potential but aren't there yet. Good individually, but not good team defense. They need to come together fast. They've gotten pick and rolled to death in the past.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They have no post presence at all.
    The hallmark of a K team.

It's too bad that Chris Paul made the team. I really wanted to actively root against the 2008 K squad.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I really wanted to actively root against the 2008 K squad.
    Why?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I don't care much for Coach K, but I thought it was a smart move to get a college coach. The international game's rules and prevailing style of play are much closer to college ball than the NBA game. I also thought the roster construction was more intelligently tailored to the international game this time, rather than just taking a generic NBA squad. Like you guys said, though, the key will be team defense. These guys will score but they have to shut down other teams better than recent USA teams have done.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I have faith in this team. We're to the point where we seem to have a family of players again. Four years ago, it seemed as if we just had some players who didn't care. They didn't care about winning, or care about this country. I'm happy to see the team's pride in the USA restored.

Why?
    Have to set a good impression for my soon-to-be 5 year old.

Root against all things Duke, Michigan, and North Carolina.

Always.

I'm hoping K's back goes out on him in Beijing like it did during the 94-95 college season. Then I'll be able to root for the 'Mericans with a clean conscience.

They don't have a huge post presence, but they are extremely long, quick and athletic. It's very difficult to bring the ball up against this team and they they do a good job cutting off the passing lanes.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Always.

I'm hoping K's back goes out on him in Beijing like it did during the 94-95 college season. Then I'll be able to root for the 'Mericans with a clean conscience.
    But...this team has nothing to do with Duke. Sad...

All dyslexics must untie!

Blazer coach Nate McMillian is on K's staff...so I have to root for the corporation

But when they play Spain and Rudy Fernandez...I want to see the next Blazer SG go off on K*be
    Never overlook the obvious

Why the hate against team USA?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't care much for Coach K, but I thought it was a smart move to get a college coach. The international game's rules and prevailing style of play are much closer to college ball than the NBA game. I also thought the roster construction was more intelligently tailored to the international game this time, rather than just taking a generic NBA squad. Like you guys said, though, the key will be team defense. These guys will score but they have to shut down other teams better than recent USA teams have done.
    If you watch closely, you can really see Coach K's handy work. They play alot like a Duke team. They play relentless man to man ball pressure with a shot blocker at the rim. In a way, they dare the other team to try and bring the ball up the court. Offensively, they run the break, drive to the basket, or shoot 3's. There is very little post play.

What I really want to see is Kobe and LeBron square off to see who can be the world's greatest player. I want to see LeBron play D with the intensity that Kobe has been showing. I want to see Kobe start to look for the types of passes that make LeBron special. I really hope that there is a "friendly" competition between these two.

What I really want to see is Kobe and LeBron square off to see who can be the world's greatest player. I want to see LeBron play D with the intensity that Kobe has been showing. I want to see Kobe start to look for the types of passes that make LeBron special. I really hope that there is a "friendly" competition between these two.
    This is Lebron's team...he is the best player in the world, but I am biased I know. Lebron promised a gold and I don't doubt him, at least Coach K will play Lebron at these Olympics unlike L.Brown last time.

Always.

That's pathetic. No offense, but what you're doing is setting a horrible example for any child.

We're talking about the National Team for the United States here. Think about it.
    Last edited by Michael Young; 08-02-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The good international teams will choke off that fast break and clog up the middle on the US. Eventually, it will come down to how well they shoot the 3 to unclog the middle. Their downfall in previous years is that they couldn't do that.

Defensively, they have potential but aren't there yet. Good individually, but not good team defense. They need to come together fast. They've gotten pick and rolled to death in the past.
    Two words: Michael Redd.

Turn Off Ads?