Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios?

Re: Alex Rios?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    From my experience players that have had problems with fans are very risky. Most of the time the problems this type of person is much more deep seated and not easily overcome. If he can be had cheap it is fine but I wouldn't give up very much in value for him. Just too risky.
    Agreed. After seeing the way he treated that kid, I want him nowhere near the roster. First of all, it's not like he plays well enough to ignore the fact that he's a jerk. Second of all, he didn't even say anything to the kid. No "Not right now kid," no nothing. Just pure arrogance, and immaturity in responding to the fan. What did the guy say that was so bad?

No thank you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    After 2009 Guaranteed Money:

Arroyo: $13M
    Rios: $61M

The money does not balance nicely.
    Could be as much as 24 Million but yeah I get what you are saying.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Could be as much as 24 Million but yeah I get what you are saying.
    That was just guaranteed. If you include options Rios's get's up to $73.5M, While Arroyo gets up to $22M with his 2011 option.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    That was just guaranteed. If you include options Rios's get's up to $73.5M, While Arroyo gets up to $22M with his 2011 option.
    Plus Arroyo has a 2 million dollar '11 bonus depending on IP. BUt either way I get ya.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Alex Rios is a complete turd. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to draft the "bum" in my fantasy baseball $$ league this year.

Stinks on the field, is a complete jerk off the field, no thanks in terms of him playing for the Reds.

(But I will say Jermaine Dye's 15 HRs in exchange for Homer Bailey would be looking real good right about now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If Rios is available, you go get him, period.

You start low, but if it takes Alonso and Bailey (I don't think it would), you make that deal.

I'll bet the Braves are kicking themselves right now.
    You go get him period? Not even close. The guy is grossly overpaid, he's average-at-best at the plate, he'll steal less and less bases as he gets older (including this year so far), he's not good defensively and he's a jerk off the field. Other than that, I love him.

I wouldn't trade Yonder Alonso for that clown in a million years even if he didn't have that ridiculous contract. That is nonsense.

Sorry Blue Jays, you are stuck with Rios and his awful contract that will strap you for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You go get him period? Not even close. The guy is grossly overpaid, he's average-at-best at the plate, he'll steal less and less bases as he gets older (including this year so far), he's not good defensively and he's a jerk off the field. Other than that, I love him.

I wouldn't trade Yonder Alonso for that clown in a million years even if he didn't have that ridiculous contract. That is nonsense.

Sorry Blue Jays, you are stuck with Rios and his awful contract that will strap you for years.
    He's a significantly above average bat and a plus defender who has yet to be overpaid but other than that you may be right.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's a significantly above average bat and a plus defender who has yet to be overpaid but other than that you may be right.
    Honestly, I haven't watched the guy play D all that much, but the general consensus coming out of Toronto is that the guy is afraid of walls, won't go all-out after fly balls, doesn't get good jumps, etc. I'm sure he has the tools to be a good defensive outfielder, but that doesn't mean he is.

The guy has over 230 ABs this year already (hardly a small sample size) and his OPS is in the .700s. That's pretty darn average. I know he's been better than than in his career, but I think he's a guy that has plateaued and even his manager Cito Gaston has said his swing is a complete mess. Says he's a mechanical nightmare. Maybe he can get it back, who knows. But right now, I'd call him an average hitter at best.

(Yes, I'm just mad I drafted the guy in my fantasy $$ league. Ha.)

I still say Bailey + Stubbs is a great deal for both sides. Toronto is looking for pitching and Stubbs, by most people's accounts is ready for The Show (or close to it). Heck, maybe Toronto even sends another player back with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I still say Bailey + Stubbs is a great deal for both sides. Toronto is looking for pitching and Stubbs, by most people's accounts is ready for The Show (or close to it). Heck, maybe Toronto even sends another player back with it.
    If Stubbs is ready, then why not keep him and let Rios continue to be someone else's bad contract?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Rios was a FA, would I pay him his current contract.

No way.

So why would I give up two of our best prospects for something I wouldn't take for nothing?

Unless you have a team with unlimited payroll, trading excellent propects for a players like Rios makes zero sense.

Rios has negative trade value for teams on any kind of budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's a significantly above average bat ......
    He has a .790 lifetime OPS.....

Define "significantly above average".

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Jose Guillen: The Sequel.
    Let's see, we picked up Guillen for nothing, paid him nothing, and then flipped him for Harang when he was on the verge of FA.

Posters want us to trade our best prospects for an average OF who will be a financial albatross around our necks for years to come.

Guillen might be the bizarro Rios.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    If Stubbs is ready, then why not keep him and let Rios continue to be someone else's bad contract?
    Because Rios has shown he can consistently hit major league pitching and with power (something Stubbs likely won't do--at least not with the same ability as Rios).

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He has a .790 lifetime OPS.....

Define "significantly above average".
    What's more informative, his first 1000 PAs as a major leaguer in his early 20's where he struggled to OPS .700 or his last 2200 PAs where he has OPS'd significantly higher than .800?

His true offensive skill looks to be that of roughly a .360 wOBA hitter. League average is around .330. That makes him 15 runs better than average over 600 PAs. If he plays centerfield, he gets another 2.5 for position and another +5 for his defense (he looks to be a slightly plus defender in center) and another 20 runs for the difference between average and replacement over 600 PAs.

That adds up to him roughly being a 4 win player (over replacement). While that's not elite, it's significantly above average.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?