Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Re: Halladay throws 2nd postseason no-hitter in history to beat Reds in Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The man struck out 3 times on 9 pitches tonight. Literally anybody could do that. Add in his defense and that's what you get.
    I think his 2 strikeouts were ugly enough to count as 3....but alas, only 2 were recorded in the box.
    He grounded out to 3rd in the 2nd inning.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I think his 2 strikeouts were ugly enough to count as 3....but alas, only 2 were recorded in the box.
    He grounded out to 3rd in the 2nd inning.
    That's right. For some reason there was talk he struck out 3 times on 9 pitches, not sure where that came from lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The man struck out 3 times on 9 pitches tonight. Literally anybody could do that. Add in his defense and that's what you get.
    He struck out twice tonight, not three times. Against a guy that no one in the Reds lineup got a hit off of. In case you didn't notice, Halladay didn't give up a hit to anyone in the order and struck out 8.

But what he did was irrelevant. All these cracks at how horrible he is has gotten old. He's not a very good player. We get it. It gets tiresome after 162 games complaining about his every mistake and every strikeout. Every single game there's commentary after every non-hit or non-out in the field about how awful he is. Everyone knows that by now.

Just enjoy what's left of the season and there might be a change on the offseason. But in case you haven't noticed, he's not going away for the rest of the playoffs (outside of the occasional start by Nix).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Was Volquez crying in the dugout after being removed? I was up getting pizza but my mom and girlfriend both thought they saw him in tears. If I had to guess, I'd say it was sweat, but I dunno.

Can't say I blame him if he was. When I was in High School, it took everything I had not to cry after I laid an egg on the mound in my last tournament game. It sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I came into tonight expecting the worst. Had already chalked it up as a loss, and was expecting to just not be upset tonight. Came in expecting THE WORST.

And I did not expect us to get no hit. I know it's only one loss, but I'm beyond upset right now. 15 years for that?

I had this image in my head of Gomes making an awful defensive play this postseason that would really cost the Reds. Hopefully that image was in inning 2. Otherwise, I can just see it getting worse.

The decision to start Volquez looks pretty laughable at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Was Volquez crying in the dugout after being removed? I was up getting pizza but my mom and girlfriend both thought they saw him in tears. If I had to guess, I'd say it was sweat, but I dunno.

Can't say I blame him if he was. When I was in High School, it took everything I had not to cry after I laid an egg on the mound in my last tournament game. It sucks.
    I honestly thought he was crying at first too, but I have to believe it was swet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Oh and to make it worse, I come home and find out our starting shortstop now apparently thinks he plays for the Cardinals. Awful, awful night.

Right or wrong it's very tacky for Orlando to say what he said. I would say that about any player.

But maybe the emotion just got the best of him.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    It is way too early to write off Volquez. While watching the Twins' Liriano pitch against the Yankees, I'm reminded he had his TJ surgery in November of 2006 and is finally back to pre-surgery form. Outside of Josh Johnson, I can't think of a pitcher who has come back as quickly as Volquez and been immediately successful.
    I'm not writing him off. I'm just not sure he has it in his makeup to ever be a big game pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Oh and to make it worse, I come home and find out our starting shortstop now apparently thinks he plays for the Cardinals. Awful, awful night.
    I haven't ever been a big OC guy, but I'm completely over him after that comment.

We made a big deal during the season about no being complaining punks like The Cardinals and he goes out and does that. Is he signed for next year? I hope not.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

All they can do is shake it off....Friday is another day.

Win Friday and everything is on track...

The club just has to put that one in the loss pile and move on. We witnessed an amazing effort by R.H. It stinks as a Reds fan but as a baseball junkie I really appreciated Halladay's performance. Let's go get 'em Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Dude, Gomes is the starting LF. Give it a rest, man. Just cope with it. We're in game No. 164 now and people are still complaining about him starting.
    It's very relevant. His blunder in the field cost the team at least 1 run, maybe 2 tonight. Not that he was the reason the Reds lost, but runs are at a premium in the playoffs. Put Nix out there against RHP for crying out loud.

I honestly thought he was crying at first too, but I have to believe it was sweat.
    That would be my guess as well, even though I didn't see it.

I have to feel for Volkie a little bit. I was the same type of pitcher (obviously at a much much lower level) when I played, I was the hardest thrower in my entire high school but I also earned the nickname "Wild Thang" so you can guess how good my command was. I'll say this, when you're on the mound and can't find the strike zone, it's the loneliest feeling in the world.

I get frustrated as much as the next guy when EV or even Homer or Cueto has an outing like that, but I just try to remember what it felt like when I couldn't find the zone. It sucks, and I certainly never had 45,000 people jeering at me and making it impossible to concentrate.

But alas, we need better. Let's hope Bronson has Rock Star stuff on Friday. We need him.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's very relevant. His blunder in the field cost the team at least 1 run, maybe 2 tonight. Not that he was the reason the Reds lost, but runs are at a premium in the playoffs. Put Nix out there against RHP for crying out loud.
    At what point, though, does it sink in that it's not going to happen so why beat a dead horse? After 162 games, it's clear Dusty has Gomes as his LF. Why complain about it every single game?

And the thing is, I don't have a problem discussing it, but that's not what's happening.

Every at bat or error it's that he's "horrible," or "awful," or a "retard," or tonight it was "our idiot LF."

I mean wow, it just gets old. I get it. He's not very good. But people keep saying "Nix should start." Well OK a case could be made for that. But after 162 games, he's not going to start. When does that start to sink in?

All I'm really asking is that the adjectives be kept to a minimum and people just accept that he's the starter. His productivity or lack thereof has been talked about ad nauseum, and I agree it's still relevant. But it's been deduced from analysis to quick & easy cheap shots.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?