Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Lineup Construction Thread

Another Lineup Construction Thread

Let the groans and eyes roll I am making a lineup construction thread.

I think my idea for a change of lineup will make this team so much more dangerous and as Dusty has done a few times this year, batting lefties back to back is not that bad.

CF Choo
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Mez/Hanigan
    P

Obviously, use Billy to PR in key situations. I think this lineup solves a lot of issues fans and 'analysts' have been calling out this year. The Reds are blessed with 2 of the top OBP guys in the league and 2 of the top 4 RBI guys in the league. This lineup would bat them all after each other. This would solve the Buntapolooza issue as Votto is likely walked and the Votto's RBI issue as I think his lack of RBIs would be tolerable if the Reds are scoring more with BP and Bruce knocking them in.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another Lineup Construction Thread

I like it except maybe bat Cozart in front of Frazier. I like Votto batting in the 2 hole especially after reading ths article. Probably too late to change Dusty's mind though.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

"Among relatively full-time No. 2 hitters, Joe Mauer, Carlos Beltran, Mike Trout, Jean Segura, Jose Bautista, Jason Kipnis, Manny Machado, Marco Scutaro and Torii Hunter lead the way. Each has an OPS (on-base plus slugging) of at least .755 and has created 5.23 runs or more per 27 outs. Padres catalyst Evert Cabrera has done his best work (.352 average, .906 OPS) in the second spot.

Twenty players occupying the No. 2 role have an OPS of at least .750, with 14 at .800 or higher. Fourteen two-hole hitters have slugging percentages in excess of .450, and 19 are creating at least five runs per 27 outs.

Going back 25 years, in 1988 only Dave Henderson, Claudell Washington, Kevin Seitzer and Johnny Ray reached .800 in OPS out of the two-hole. Three, including Hall of Famer Robin Yount, had slugging marks of .450 or better. Eight created five or more runs per 27 outs."
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am completely against a "perfect" lineup that has Brandon Phillips batting anywhere 1-5.

5. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am completely against a "perfect" lineup that has Brandon Phillips batting anywhere 1-5.
    I thought Brandon was doing pretty well before Ludwick came back. Nearly 100 RBIs batting clean up and my lineup basically puts the 2 guys he drove in the most in front of him.

Even if we stipulate that you are right and BP is not one of the Reds' top 5 hitters, we are dealing with people and personalities here. If any manager fills out a lineup card with BP hitting 6, 7 or 8 you know darn well he would sull up and his production would be Haniganesque.

It could only happen if there is a new manager. Dusty will put Votto in the 3 spot every time he makes out the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It could only happen if there is a new manager. Dusty will put Votto in the 3 spot every time he makes out the lineup.
    True story. Right or wrong, Baker is a believer that the 8 spots in the order are completely different positions, just as the 8 fielders play different positions. He would never for a second consider Votto anywhere but 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    True story. Right or wrong, Baker is a believer that the 8 spots in the order are completely different positions, just as the 8 fielders play different positions. He would never for a second consider Votto anywhere but 3 or 4.
    I wonder how Votto would take that. I remember him not wanting to move to LF so Yonder could play 1B, would he also whine and pout if he is put in the 2 hole and not want to be there?

Brandon is practically worthless in the 2-hole, Votto the same in the 3 and Luddy as well in the 4. What to do, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by miamiredskin View Post
    Brandon is practically worthless in the 2-hole, Votto the same in the 3 and Luddy as well in the 4. What to do, what to do?
    Joey Votto is worthless in the 3 spot?

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Even if we stipulate that you are right and BP is not one of the Reds' top 5 hitters, we are dealing with people and personalities here. If any manager fills out a lineup card with BP hitting 6, 7 or 8 you know darn well he would sull up and his production would be Haniganesque.
    At some point he will need to get over himself then if he truly would act that way. Or produce better and get moved up.

Joey Votto is worthless in the 3 spot?

well, when first base is open, and the guys behind you make outs, what good is a walk?

well, when first base is open, and the guys behind you make outs, what good is a walk?
    It avoids an out. That's a big part of the plan.

Didn't Jay Bruce bat 2nd for a time and tear it up? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Anyway, if Dusty doesn't want to bat Votto #2, maybe he'd consider Bruce there again. I don't care, really, as long as the top hitters get more PA's.

The guys behind him don't always make outs. So it adds a base runner. Base runners are good. You want base runners. Base runners lead to scoring.

19. Likes:

PuffyPig (09-26-2013),Raisor (09-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?