Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    1.37 WHIP for a reliever isn't very good. In the second half Arredondo had a 4.21 ERA and a 1.558 WHIP. He was pretty bad in the second half. Maybe he'll rebound, but I wouldn't bet the Reds' season on it.

As for the "best bullpen in the league" last year, it might have been when you include Chapman's 15.3 Ks per nine innings; his .809 WHIP; his 1.51 ERA in 71.2 innings. Take those stellar numbers out, I don't agree.

Frankly, other than Chapman and Marshall, I though the bullpen was just ok. I don't think Lecure, Simon, Ondrusek, an injured Bray, and Arredondo is a particularly good pen.

Hoover could be good, he was in AAA most of the year. Broxton helped, but he's a FA.

You think that's enough without Chapman? I don't.

Without Chapman, I think another healthy solid late inning guy is imperative.
    I imagine most teams' bullpens aren't very good if you disregard their two best pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Offseason Plan in 3 Moves or Less

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I imagine most teams' bullpens aren't very good if you disregard their two best pitchers.
    Correct. I agree.

But in the Reds' case, posters are suggesting a bullpen without Chapman. So one of those two best relievers won't be there.

That's the situation we are discussing. Replacing Chapman with a guy coming off TJ surgery. That's the discussion.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Correct. I agree.

But in the Reds' case, posters are suggesting a bullpen without Chapman. So one of those two best relievers won't be there.

That's the situation we are discussing. Replacing Chapman with a guy coming off TJ surgery. That's the discussion.
    Oh right, lol. I agree with that then.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    1. Re-sign Ryan Ludwick or acquire Josh Willingham or Shin-Soo Choo
    2. Acquire Dexter Fowler or Denard Span or sign Angel Pagan or Shane Victorino
    3. Sign Ryan Madson or Jokim Soria freeing Chapman for the rotation
    Congrats- you have given your offseason plan in 9 moves
    Go BLUE!!!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

1. Trade Hamilton+ for Stanton
    2. Sign Bourn
    3. Sign Madson

Marlins have no reason to trade Stanton but he will be expensive in a few years and Loria might want to just get a head start. Plus if they could see Hamilton as a SS.

Correct. I agree.

If Chapman goes to the pen, then Cingrani should be the second lefty.

Add Broxton/Madson/Soria to:

Marshall
    Hoover
    Cingrani
    Massett
    Arredondo/Simon
    Lecure

...and you still have one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Congrats- you have given your offseason plan in 9 moves
    No, basically I said:

1. LF
    2. CF
    3. High-leverage reliever to facilitate Chapman to the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd rather bring back Taveras, Patterson and Edmonds before I want the Reds to even THINK about Nyjer Morgan. He is the definition of a clubhouse cancer.
    Yeah, remember how he sabotaged the Brewers in 2011? Oh wait ...
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think payroll limitations make most of the moves suggested here a little unrealistic. The Reds, as is, with all free agents off the books, but bonus money, raises and arb awards included, are probably a little over $90 Million and I'm not sure they'll go much above $95 Million (about a $10 Million or roughly 12% increase from 2012). I like the Morgan idea, but I'll hold that back for a fall back option. Improvement needs to come at the margins without a lot of subtractions from the major league team or dealing any of the top 5 prospects IMO.

1. Kyle Lotzkar and David Vidal to the Cubs for David Dejesus
    2. Nick Masset, Henry Rodriguez, Neftali Soto and Ryan LaMarre to the Orioles for Wilson Betemit and Pedro Strop
    3. Sign J.P Howell to a 2 year, $7 Million contract ($2.5 Million in 2013 and $3.5 Million in 2014, option for 2015 for $5 Million with a $1 Million buy-out)

2013 Payroll goes up around $6 Million as a result of the deals. (Add Dejesus $4.25, Howell $2.5, Betemit $1.75, Strop $.5 and subtract Masset $3.1 = $5.9 Million)

Vs. RHP/Vs LHP

Dejesus/Stubbs CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Frazier LF/Frazier 3B
    Bruce RF
    Betemit 3B/Heisey LF
    Cozart SS
    Hanigan/Mesoraco C (Not a lefty/righty Platoon)

Paul LHPH/OF
    Gregorious IF (Plays SS against RHP a couple times per week)

Latos
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Arroyo
    Chapman

Leake (Swingman)
    Arredondo RMR but used as a LOOGY much of the time
    Lecure RMR
    Howell LMR
    Hoover RHSU
    Marshall LHSU
    Strop Closer
    Last edited by mth123; 11-14-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Chapman, Corcino, Neftali Soto, Lutz, Yorman Rodriguez to Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton.
    Heisey and Sharky Rogers to Indians for 1 year rental of Choo.
    Re-sign Madson and Broxton for bullpen.

CF Choo
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    LF Stanton
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    C Hanigan/Navarro
    SS Cozart

SP Cueto
    SP Latos
    SP Arroyo
    SP Bailey
    SP Leake

CL Madson
    RP Broxton
    RP Marshall
    RP Hoover
    RP Arredondo
    RP Ondrusek
    RP Lecure
    Yeah. See. My idea of trading for Stanton isn't quite so ridiculous now, eh?

Oh........those pitiful Marlins.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    1. Turn off "fair trades"
    2. Trade all our less than awesome players for awesome players
    3. Turn on "fair trades"

ROFL!!! :O) That was great Nate. Thanks, I needed that.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

1. Hamilton/Cingrani for Giancarlo Stanton

Oh, I'm sorry, did you want more?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Wait. Some guys are going to get paid contracts they shouldn't get. Guys like Tori Hunter and Swisher are going to get contracts they won't live up to.

1. Sign Ryan Madsen to a 1 year $6M deal.
    2. Sign Youkilis to a 2 year $18M deal.
    3. Sign Grady Sizemore to a 1 year $1.5M deal that is incentive laden.

I would also kick the tires on trading Stubbs + to the Cubs for Dejesus. Status quo in CF isn't the solution this year. If they can catch lightening in a bottle next year with Sizemore then its one heck of a deal. If not its a small investment. Youk sends Frazier out into LF, a spot I think he can become a good all around player. Having Frazier allows Youk to get needed days off at 3b and also helps Votto get time off at 1b. I don't think Madsen is going to get paid next year because I don't think he will be right until mid June.

Make a big move -the worst thing winning teams do is assume they are better than they are -this team may be a 91 win team where things broke their way and they became a 97 win team. Make a big splash and change the energy of the team.

In 2011, i felt like Walt didn't do shake things up enough.

There are certain positions that Dusty has a hard time wiring around -he gets stuck -make sure those positions are filled with viable major league players or you might see Dusty run .463 OPS out there 4 times a week.

Lastly, support Devin Mesaroco's growth. I believe he has an OPS of .850 in him. How do we get that out while making sure the pitchers don't lose their minds? A catcher gets a rep and he can't break it until he's on the other side of 32, whereby he becomes an all knowing grizzled veteran. Something happened last year and he got pushed back -i'm not sure that helped the team on a long term basis. A catcher with his batting stats don't come along often - getting all you can out of him becomes this organizations number 1A developmental issue (behind the great BH).

Cooper, great post.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?