Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milton Bradley Thread

Re: Reds Rumored to be Interested in Milton Bradley?

Reed Johnson just made a terrific catch to take away a grand slam from Prince Fielder.

That's a catch that Bradley wouldn't have made, IMO.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Very glad the Reds did not sign him, his injury factor bring just one problem he brings with him.

Just for accuracy, I believe that his three year contract becomes a two year deal if he does not play at least 75 games in 09. So if the injury is serious, the Cubs only spent $20M on him. Still not a good deal.
    It's a 2 year deal with a 2011 12 million vesting option. The option is automatically exercised if he plays 75 games. There is a $500,000 buyout, though.

Sorry it's Milton Bradley the Sean Avery of Baseball I am so glad that act isn't playing in the Queen City.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

And if you had 4/16 as the date that the injury/ejection/potential suspension trifecta gets completed, please see the front desk for your prize.

The umpire who ejected Milton Bradley in his Wrigley Field debut Friday intends to file a report stating that the outfielder made physical contact.

Bradley is in serious danger of being suspended. He struck out looking on a full count pitch and shared a brief, but aggressive, exchange with umpire Dan Iassogna, at one point knocking the ump's hat slightly up his head. The report will be filed with the Commissioner's Office on Saturday. We'll keep you updated. Apr. 17 - 9:29 am et
    Source: Cubs.mlb.com

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And if you had 4/16 as the date that the injury/ejection/potential suspension trifecta gets completed, please see the front desk for your prize.
    Thats a serious suspension. How many games could he get for that?

Pete got 30 back in 1988 as I recall. Stupid Dave Pallone.

The scary part is that he is on a good team. I wonder how his demeanor would be if he was on a team that wasn't a contender?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Sorry it's Milton Bradley the Sean Avery of Baseball I am so glad that act isn't playing in the Queen City.
    So he's only good if he plays on the Rangers?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Pete got 30 back in 1988 as I recall. Stupid Dave Pallone.
    Not to sound like a conspiracy nut, but Bart hated Rose, as the whole kicking him out of baseball sage demonstrated. That same month in 88, Billy Martin actually kicked an umpire, his fourth offense (this was Pete's first offense in his entire career, both as a player and manager), and he got less than a week.

That 30 day suspension for Pete was a joke, no other player or manager ever got anything close to that, ever. For some reason, Bart was out to get Rose, I could go on with other evidence, but it would be too off topic for this thread.

Anyway, considering that this is Bradley's umpteenth offense, I say at least week, maybe two if they really want to make a point.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut, but Bart hated Rose, as the whole kicking him out of baseball sage demonstrated. That same month in 88, Billy Martin actually kicked an umpire, his fourth offense (this was Pete's first offense in his entire career, both as a player and manager), and he got less than a week.

That 30 day suspension for Pete was a joke, no other player or manager ever got anything close to that, ever. For some reason, Bart was out to get Rose, I could go on with other evidence, but it would be too off topic for this thread.

Anyway, considering that this is Bradley's umpteenth offense, I say at least week, maybe two if they really want to make a point.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/03/sp...d-30-days.html
    Giamatti's action stemmed from the encounter Rose had with Umpire Dave Pallone Saturday night in the ninth inning of the Reds' game with the Mets. Following Pallone's call at first base, which allowed the Mets' eventual winning run to score in the 6-5 game, Rose argued vehemently and made physical contact with the umpire, noticeably pushing him.

Riverfront Stadium fans in the crowd of 41,032 soon joined in the conrontation, throwing objects onto the field. After about 15 minutes, Pallone left the field and the remaining three members of the umpiring crew completed the game.

The incident, Giammati said in a statement announcing the suspension and a ''substantial'' but undisclosed fine, was an ''extremely ugly situation'' and was ''one of the worst in baseball's recent memory.''

''Such disgraceful episodes are not business as usual, nor can they be allowed to become so,'' Giamatti continued. ''For forcefully and deliberately shoving an umpire, the manager of the Reds, Mr. Pete Rose, is suspended for 30 days and fined a substantial amount.''

In summoning the broadcasters for a meeting with him, the president, who in his brief term in office has exhibited a no-nonsense reaction to situations that arise on the field, said:

''Inciting the unacceptable behavior of some of the fans were the inflammatory and completely irresponsible remarks of local radio broadcasters Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall. . . . There is no excuse for encouraging a situation where the physical safety and well-being of any individual is put significantly at risk. Nothing justifies such unprofessional behavior.''

Giamatti, in a telephone interview, explained that he has the right to summon Brennaman and Nuxhall because they are employees of the Reds, not of the radio station that carries the Reds' games. It is believed that this is the first time announcers have been summoned for possible disciplinary action by a league. 'My Jurisdiction'

''An employee of the club is subject to my jurisdiction,'' he said. ''I could not summon someone else's employees.''

As generally is the case, some fans at the game had radios and heard the announcers criticize Pallone both for the call at first and for his umpiring qualifications generally.

Richie Phillips, the lawyer for the umpires' union, said he believed the fans threw various kinds of objects on the field because of three factors: Rose's behavior, the announcers' comments and the presumed consumption of beer during the game. Phillips, speaking from his office in Philadelphia, said he had urged Giamatti to take swift and severe action and called the president's action ''appropriate.''

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't think Bart being out to get Pete resulted in him getting kicked out of baseball. That was Pete breaking the rules of baseball and being caught doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think Bart being out to get Pete resulted in him getting kicked out of baseball. That was Pete breaking the rules of baseball and being caught doing so.
    Completely agree with you on that. I was referring to how it was handled, and all the details.

This is not the thread to get into it, but Pete definitely dug his own grave and has no one to blame but himself. However, Bart's actions showed a definite bias against Rose.

The clearest example was the fact that Bart signed a legal contract saying that the commissioner's office would not comment on Rose's guilt or innocence, but then at the press conference he said that as "an individual, but not as the commissioner," he thought Rose was guilty. A clear violation of the contract he just signed. And there is sooooo much more (a lot of which is just as damning against Rose too).

Thanks, I now do remember the whole incident including Marty getting called before the commissioner.

However, there still is no way what Rose did justified 30 days. He had nothing to do with inciting the crowd, at least nothing more than any other manager getting kicked out. Heck, I've remember Sweet Lou doing much more than Pete did to incite the crowd after getting kicked out, and he never got more than a few days.

Does anyone know what exactly Marty and Joe said that was so inflammatory and irresponsible? I remember the game, but I don't remember Marty or Joe saying anything that made me want to participate in a riot.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Does anyone know what exactly Marty and Joe said that was so inflammatory and irresponsible? I remember the game, but I don't remember Marty or Joe saying anything that made me want to participate in a riot.
    On air Marty called Pallone "Incompetent" and a "Horrible Umpire" he apologized, but refused to back off his opinion. Pallone was crappy umpire. The winning run scored while Pallone was delaying his safe call on a throw to first.

The real issue in the end was the showering of the field and the forced exit of the umpire for the duration of the game. Couple that with a shove, and some choice words from the Reds announcers and you have an incident that reeks of baseball in the 1890's, that fact was not lost on Bart G. is my best guess.

Turn Off Ads?