Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Any bowlers on here?

Re: Any bowlers on here?

I have my average up to 203 but only had a 598 tonight so I will probably be back to 202 next week. One more week so I have the 200+ average locked up and I am proud of that for my first full league in 5+ years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

One thing I've noticed, it seems like a lot of baseball players also enjoy bowling, and are pretty good at it too. I remember hearing Ryan Howard say he bowls a lot and averages around a 205. And our very own Brandon Phillips is an avid bowler, and Joey Votto bowls too. I read on Hal's blog a few weeks ago that Phillips has bowled three 300 games.

Check out this link below to see pics of Phillips bowling.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=299

A 204, 234, and 279 is very impressive.

I just bought the basic Wii system with bowling included. Is it fun to play?

Thanks,
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I just bought the basic Wii system with bowling included. Is it fun to play?

Thanks,
    Yeah, but Brunswick Pro Bowling is more realistic and very fun to play.

I bowled well tonight, but I'm pretty disappointed right now. I started my first game out tonight with strikes in the first 9 frames. I let up on my speed on the first ball in the 10th frame and ended up going in high, leaving a 4-7 which I picked up, and ended up finishing with a 277 in the first game. In the second game I hit the pocket in every frame but one, but couldn't carry the 10 pin and ended up with a 213. In the third and final game, it was the same story as the previous game. I hit the pocket every frame but left a couple 10 pins but was still shooting at a 220 pace until I messed up and pulled the 9th frame ball right through the nose for a big split. I struck and spared in the 10th and finished with a 687 series. With a little more carry I could've been in the 720-730 range.

I'm disappointed about the first game. I had a great line to the pocket and could have shot another 300 if not for letting up on my speed. That's frustrating.

Video of Brandon Phillips bowling:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7220765

I'm not quite on the level of OBM but I'm in a league right now. I'm trying to get my average above 155 for the season. I had a 180 177 series last week but could not do anything last night.

Question I wanted to ask is do you guys ever have problems with a specific lane? What I mean is I usually throw it to the same spot and get a nice curve up into the pocket. But last night on both lanes the ball just wouldn't spin. I would leave it way low and pick up 3-6 pins (then I was getting frustrated and missing easy spares). But I really feel like I wasn't doing anything wrong. When I'm off my ball usually spins too much and moves past the pocket. I have never had an issue with the ball not spinning enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Question I wanted to ask is do you guys ever have problems with a specific lane? What I mean is I usually throw it to the same spot and get a nice curve up into the pocket. But last night on both lanes the ball just wouldn't spin. I would leave it way low and pick up 3-6 pins (then I was getting frustrated and missing easy spares). But I really feel like I wasn't doing anything wrong. When I'm off my ball usually spins too much and moves past the pocket. I have never had an issue with the ball not spinning enough.
    It sounds like you were bowling on some oily lanes. Oily Lane = Less Hook/
    Dry Lane = More, earlier Hook.

Here's some advice I learned early on and it's helped me a ton: Move your feet in the direction you're missing. If your ball isn't hooking as much and is missing right, move your feet right. If the lanes are dry and your ball is hooking too much, move your feet left until the ball starts hitting the pocket. By moving right on oily lanes it allows your ball to hit the dryer boards and hook. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It sounds like you were bowling on some oily lanes. Oily Lane = Less Hook/
    Dry Lane = More, earlier Hook.

Here's some advice I learned early on and it's helped me a ton: Move your feet in the direction you're missing. If your ball isn't hooking as much and is missing right, move your feet right. If the lanes are dry and your ball is hooking too much, move your feet left until the ball starts hitting the pocket. By moving right on oily lanes it allows your ball to hit the dryer boards and hook. Hope this helps.
    But aim for the same spot I assume?
    What I was trying to do last night was start at the same spot, but aim one arrow to the left. It worked out, but I wasn't getting a lot of strikes out of it because the ball was coming in too high or hitting the wrong side of the head pin and I was leaving the 5 or the 10 almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    But aim for the same spot I assume?
    What I was trying to do last night was start at the same spot, but aim one arrow to the left. It worked out, but I wasn't getting a lot of strikes out of it because the ball was coming in too high or hitting the wrong side of the head pin and I was leaving the 5 or the 10 almost every time.
    Yeah, aim for the same target. When I first started bowling I'd stand in the same spot and would struggle if the lane conditions didn't fit my approach. Receiving the advice about moving my feet around really helped me out. Hopefully it does the same for you.

I don't know how serious you are about bowling, but another thing you can do is buy two different bowling balls. A strong ball for oily lanes and a weak ball for dry lanes. That would eliminate having to make big adjustments. You would still have to adjust but not as much.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-25-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Yeah, aim for the same target. When I first started bowling I'd stand in the same spot and would struggle if the lane conditions didn't fit my approach. Receiving the advice about moving my feet around really helped me out. Hopefully it does the same for you.

I don't know how serious about bowling you are, but another thing you can do is buy two different bowling balls. A strong ball for oily lanes and a weak ball for dry lanes. That would eliminate having to make big adjustments. You would still have to adjust but not as much.
    I've started to think about buying a ball as I've started to build some consistency.

I'll have to play around with moving my feet. I always play with my target when I struggle, but that is really hard because it feels unnatural.

I subbed in a league tonight, and just narrowly missed a 300 again. For the second straight night I started a game out with the first 9 strikes, and then I buried the 10th ball and left a wringing 10 pin, which I picked up, and then struck again for a 279. Stupid 10 pin! I can't begin to describe how frustrated I was when I looked up and saw that 10 pin standing. My other games was a 203 and a 204, with plenty of 10 pins in those games as well. I finished with a 686 series, one pin less than last night.

Frustrating. I really wanted that 300.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-25-2010 at 09:41 PM.

I subbed in a league tonight, and just narrowly missed a 300 again. For the second straight night I started a game out with the first 9 strikes, and then I buried the 10th ball and left a wringing 10 pin, which I picked up, and then struck again for a 279. Stupid 10 pin! I can't begin to describe how frustrated I was when I looked up and saw that 10 pin standing. My other games was a 203 and a 204, with plenty of 10 pins in those games as well. I finished with a 686 series, one pin less than last night.

Frustrating. I really wanted that 300.
    Good job though. As they say, make your spares and do not leave any open frames.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Well, I waited until the last week of the league but I finally got my first 700 series. I went 215-251-248 for a 714. As happy as I am that I got the 700+ I am upset that I blew a 290 in the 2nd game. I went 7/ in 1st, then the next 8 strikes. I started to get up to throw the 10th frame and somehow realized I could get the 290 and proceeded to throw the worst shot ever and left the 2-4-7 and whiffed it to leave an open in the 10th. Oh well.

Turn Off Ads?