Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Janish/Hanigan>>Gonzo/Hernandez

Janish/Hanigan>>Gonzo/Hernandez

Defensively, I don't see much difference in Gonzo and Janish. Both are very good. Hanigan looks better than Hernandez defensively. At the plate there is no comparison, right now. If we want to jump start the offensive, get Janish and Hanigan in the lineup more. Hernandez, Gonzo, and the pitcher are automatic outs (except when Owings pitches). Janish and Hanigan put the bat on the ball and bring some life to the back of the lineup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Janish/Hanigan>>Gonzo/Hernandez

I see what you are saying, but the only thing is that Hernandez and Gonzalez are proven commodities--Hernandez as an above average offensive C and Gonzalez as a decent hitter and super smooth SS. The book on Janish has always been that he's just a decent hitter--nothing special. That will rear its end soon. He's not gonna hit .400, or even .300, as an everday SS. Hanigan intrigues me a bit more, but again is unproven.

Now, that said, I dont think the leash for RH and Gonzo should be endless. I like how Dusty is giving the other guys starts liberally, but those two are paid as everyday starters and will get plenty of chances to establish themselves there.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

LOL @ Janish "jump starting" an offense.

Also- how are you judging Hernandez' defense? Runners stealing? If so, that is faulty. From what I've seen most/all of the steals have come off the pitchers.

I agree that Janish may take the job from Gonzo before the year is up, but I think Hernandez will stick over Hanigan.

I said the day we got him that I think Hernandez is this teams weak link. I don't think he calls a good game at all for one, and is lazy behind the plate-I go to a lot of O's games, and always walked away wondering how that dude was a MLB catcher still.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

But do you think he's worse than Bako?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Seabass and Hernandez are making much more money and will therefore play.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

^I dont know, I never really got to see Bako enough to make that call, but thought I heard the pitchers liked pitching to him overall-but not sure of the info to make a full comparison between the 2. I do think he is a slight downgrade defensively from Ross, but has better bat potential. I am hoping the new team scene will help encourage him in his lazy play-thats my biggest problem, not adjusting, moving to block, setting up for pitch, and calling have all p'ed me off wathcing him in recent years.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Seabass and Hernandez are making much more money and will therefore play.
    I never got that argument. You are going to be paying them one way or the other. Why not just sit them if they suck, eat the cash and put yourself in the best position to win.

IMO, Janish and Hanigen have earned at least two starts a week, if not more.

More importantly,

Hernandez + Hanigan > Bako & Ross
    Gonzo & Janish >= Keppinger & Hairston (as a SS)

That said, I don't mind seeing Hanigan & Janish out there. They are both decent players to have. Also, with Gonzo's injury history there's a good chance you'll get your wish and we'll see plenty of Janish this year.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    I never got that argument. You are going to be paying them one way or the other. Why not just sit them if they suck, eat the cash and put yourself in the best position to win.

IMO, Janish and Hanigen have earned at least two starts a week, if not more.
    Not saying I agree with it - just saying that's the way it is.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

AT THIS POINT we need Janish and Hanigan until they start to level out. When most all of our lineup is struggling, at this point, we need to play our hottest hitters.

Add me to the list of folks that think AGon and Hernandez will play because of their salaries. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it's not true.

Janish seems to be hitting above his likely average but Hanigan is not. Hanigan can hit for average and he's a very good defensive catcher with a great arm. He should have been the everyday starter. He also handles pitchers very well. The only thing he lacks is power. Even if Janish drops down to his likely BA, he'll still be doing better than AGon.

As for starting Hanigan at least twice a week, isnt there something to be said for having a regular catcher with whom the pitchers can build a rapport? Seems like that is the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    As for starting Hanigan at least twice a week, isnt there something to be said for having a regular catcher with whom the pitchers can build a rapport? Seems like that is the trend.
    It seems Hanigan is Arroyo's designated catcher. Just give him another pitcher that he always catches and I don't think you have any issue.

Hernandez catches Volquez, Cueto, and Owings.

Hanigan catches Harang and Arroyo.

Hernandez then gets 3/5th of the ABs, you keep him fresher through the course of the year and you still give Hanigan the opportunity he deserves.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 04-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?