Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is edgy language?

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not gonna lie, I curse quite a bit in real life (I'm trying to quit )but I have no interest in doing it on here or reading it. I think the rules regarding edgy language on here are fine as is.
    This is me to a tee. I curse like a sailor but I don't have a need to do it here. Should have heard me after the Colts game today.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is edgy language?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I don't mind profanity used in more artistic venues, such as music, movies, performance, etc. Those areas tend to lend toward the more emotional conversations and feelings, not intellectual. (Not saying they aren't intellectual, but they usually aren't doing statistical analysis.)

Also, those type of outlets are usually reflecting real life or real situations, and doing otherwise would seem dishonest to the film's character or song's lyrics.

And I don't mind comedians that curse, as long as they are funny. Cursing, being something socially taboo in most of our lives, lends itself to humor due to how out of the ordinary and shocking it can be.

All that said if a film/song/comic etc. uses too much profanity, I avoid it. The movie "The Ladykillers" had so much cursing it was distracting, and made the movie even worse. (Perhaps they were trying to distract the audience from how terrible the film actually was.)

I curse occasionally (although with my infant son that likes to repeat things, I try not to). Heck, I've cursed plenty while watching the Reds. But I wouldn't come here and post that profanity. Why? Because it is emotional, not intellectual.

And I'd like to think that most/all on this board could take a moment to choose different words when coming here to post how the bad call by the ump made them feel.
    Cursing sounds like fun.

Maybe it would lighten up some of the statistical debates that fill up the ORG?

My son is 18, and he dropped an F-bomb in front of me yesterday without even thinking. We are at a fuzzy time where he isn't quite sure what he can or can't say in front of me.

What I have always told him is words have power. Spraying profanity around lessens the power they have. And those words do have power if used in the right context. When you waste them how can someone know the reason you used them was important?

My kid used to log on as me and read Redszone. I'm glad that it was at least PG-13.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    My son is 18, and he dropped an F-bomb in front of me yesterday without even thinking. We are at a fuzzy time where he isn't quite sure what he can or can't say in front of me.
    How did you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

What I have always told him is words have power. Spraying profanity around lessens the power they have. And those words do have power if used in the right context. When you waste them how can someone know the reason you used them was important?

My kid used to log on as me and read Redszone. I'm glad that it was at least PG-13.
    This brings up an interesting issue with profanity. Adults curse around other adults, but not around kids, while kids curse around other kids but never adults.

I think your response was a much more rational and effective method than just banning kids from using bad language. You let him know that there is a time and place to use them, but they generally weaken whatever statement you are trying make. Kids, like everyone, will use profanity, trying to stop them is ineffective at least and hypocritical at worst.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This brings up an interesting issue with profanity. Adults curse around other adults, but not around kids, while kids curse around other kids but never adults.

I think your response was a much more rational and effective method than just banning kids from using bad language. You let him know that there is a time and place to use them, but they generally weaken whatever statement you are trying make. Kids, like everyone, will use profanity, trying to stop them is ineffective at least and hypocritical at worst.
    It's only hypocritical to the individuals that curse and then tell their kids it's not OK to curse. There are still some people that do abstain from that kind of language (I'm not one of them, though I do it much more infrequently than others).

But I do agree sometimes it's counterproductive to take a hardline stance against it. The first time they hear you shout an obscenity, you've likely undone any chance you may have had of getting through to them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of words that have applied and not concrete meanings. Sticks and stones, ya know?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't see why people make such a big deal out of words that have applied and not concrete meanings. Sticks and stones, ya know?
    That is great until somebody calls your mother a !#&@$. Words have meaning, applied or not.

Language should be a graceful and thought out tool, why bring it down to please a few of the masses need to sully it?

A pox on them I declare.

I don't curse, but those who do don't really offend me, particularly if they do it well (see Mumford and Sons 'Little Lion Man'), On a board like this, I think conversations without the rougher language tend to be more civil.

Besides, after having the name of the hero of Gettysburg rendered 'Winfield Scott Han****' in a post I once made on the History Channel boards, I haven't seen much to complain about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    That is great until somebody calls your mother a !#&@$. Words have meaning, applied or not.
    How would that be treated any differently than if a poster on here called you a "butt face"? Either way, it's a personal attack and should be dealt with by the moderating team...

How would that be treated any differently than if a poster on here called you a "butt face"? Either way, it's a personal attack and should be dealt with by the moderating team...
    But since calling someone a name like that would be moderated, how's that any different than what he's saying?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

So will this thread or the Teachers thread (which is off to a hefty lead) have more legs...I can see both of these threads still going strong up until pitchers and catchers report.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    But since calling someone a name like that would be moderated, how's that any different than what he's saying?
    I'm saying using profanity wouldn't change things much...

I'm saying using profanity wouldn't change things much...
    There's just not any redeeming value in it. At best, you can say it's not all that bad. But I would hope no one is hurting because they can't be profane.

Turn Off Ads?