Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - Spring Training 2011 Edition

Reds Top Prospects - Spring Training 2011 Edition

It has been a long time since I have put out one of these, so in honor of the last official day of the offseason, I thought I would introduce the Reds Top Prospects- 2011 Spring Training Edition. As always, an A Grade indicates a Top 25 Prospect in the game and/or superstar potential, a B grade indicates a Top 100 Prospect in the game and/or a major league starter with occasional All-Star potential, and a C grade indicates a player who should have some kind of role at the major league level. I have included their projected starting levels for 2011 as well.

GRADE A

1. Aroldis Chapman LHP MLB- Will be off prospect lists by the April edition.

GRADE B

2. Devin Mesoraco C AAA- Should hit the bigs at some point this season. Will team with Hanigan as Reds catchers in 2012.
    3. Billy Hamilton SS A- has been receiving a lot of national hype. If his arm allows him to stick at SS, he could be special. Otherwise, he could be a Luis Castillo type 2B.
    4. Yorman Rodriguez OF A- I rank him right there with Hamilton, as he has more offensive upside despite not playing a premium position.
    5. Yonder Alonso 1B AAA- Probably not a superstar, but definitely a major league starter. Probably not in Cincinnati though.
    6. Yasmani Grandal C A+- Should be in Cincinnati sometime in 2013. How much of an impact he has depends on his ability to switch-hit (hit lefties), and make the transition to wooden bats.

GRADE C

7. Zack Cozart SS AAA - Signing of Renteria does not bode well for Reds' confidence in Cozart to hit at ML level. However, at worst he's another Janish.
    8. Juan Francisco 3B/OF AAA - Boom or bust. Could be a nice power bat off the bench for the Reds. Must improve plate discipline to be a starter.
    9. Todd Frazier 3B/OF AAA - Looks like a decent utility player. Could fill in if/when Rolen goes down.
    10. Donnie Joseph LHP AAA - Projects as a top-caliber LOOGY or setup man.
    11. Dave Sappelt CF AAA - Despite staggering numbers last year, projects as a 4th OF. No room for him to start ahead of Stubbs anytime soon.
    12. Ryan LaMarre CF AA - Blocked by Stubbs and Sappelt, he could be an attractive trade candidate as part of a package come midseason.

HELIUM WATCH/WILDCARD

Kyle Lotzkar RHP A- As talented as any pitcher in the system, although has been dogged by injuries. If he proves healthy he could takeoff and shoot into the Top 10. Or he could end up injured and out of baseball in the next two years.

TOP 5 TO KEEP AN EYE ON (Too Early to Tell)

Ismael Guillon LHP A/R- Right up there with Lotzkar for most talented arm in the system. Will represent the cavalry once current young crop hit FA.
    Junior Arias SS/3B R- Likely the Reds future 3B in the making. Will be interesting to see how he performs once he hits full season ball.
    Ronald Torreyes 2B R- Could be the Danny Ray Herrera of infielders. So small he looks like he should be playing little league, but all he does is perform. Likely a future 2B.
    Drew Cisco RHP R- Ironically despite not having a full professional season under his belt, he is probably the most polished of the young arms.
    Kyle Waldrop OF R- Could have the most upside of anyone in the 2010 draft crop.
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Top Prospects - Spring Training 2011 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It has been a long time since I have put out one of these, so in honor of the last official day of the offseason, I thought I would introduce the Reds Top Prospects- 2011 Spring Training Edition. As always, an A Grade indicates a Top 25 Prospect in the game and/or superstar potential, a B grade indicates a Top 100 Prospect in the game and/or a major league starter with occasional All-Star potential, and a C grade indicates a player who should have some kind of role at the major league level. I have included their projected starting levels for 2011 as well.

GRADE A

1. Aroldis Chapman LHP MLB- Will be off prospect lists by the April edition.

GRADE B

2. Devin Mesoraco C AAA- Should hit the bigs at some point this season. Will team with Hanigan as Reds catchers in 2012.
    3. Billy Hamilton SS A- has been receiving a lot of national hype. If his arm allows him to stick at SS, he could be special. Otherwise, he could be a Luis Castillo type 2B.
    4. Yorman Rodriguez OF A- I rank him right there with Hamilton, as he has more offensive upside despite not playing a premium position.
    5. Yonder Alonso 1B AAA- Probably not a superstar, but definitely a major league starter. Probably not in Cincinnati though.
    6. Yasmani Grandal C A+- Should be in Cincinnati sometime in 2013. How much of an impact he has depends on his ability to switch-hit (hit lefties), and make the transition to wooden bats.

GRADE C

7. Zack Cozart SS AAA - Signing of Renteria does not bode well for Reds' confidence in Cozart to hit at ML level. However, at worst he's another Janish.
    8. Juan Francisco 3B/OF AAA - Boom or bust. Could be a nice power bat off the bench for the Reds. Must improve plate discipline to be a starter.
    9. Todd Frazier 3B/OF AAA - Looks like a decent utility player. Could fill in if/when Rolen goes down.
    10. Donnie Joseph LHP AAA - Projects as a top-caliber LOOGY or setup man.
    11. Dave Sappelt CF AAA - Despite staggering numbers last year, projects as a 4th OF. No room for him to start ahead of Stubbs anytime soon.
    12. Ryan LaMarre CF AA - Blocked by Stubbs and Sappelt, he could be an attractive trade candidate as part of a package come midseason.

HELIUM WATCH/WILDCARD

Kyle Lotzkar RHP A- As talented as any pitcher in the system, although has been dogged by injuries. If he proves healthy he could takeoff and shoot into the Top 10. Or he could end up injured and out of baseball in the next two years.

TOP 5 TO KEEP AN EYE ON (Too Early to Tell)

Ismael Guillon LHP A/R- Right up there with Lotzkar for most talented arm in the system. Will represent the cavalry once current young crop hit FA.
    Junior Arias SS/3B R- Likely the Reds future 3B in the making. Will be interesting to see how he performs once he hits full season ball.
    Ronald Torreyes 2B R- Could be the Danny Ray Herrera of infielders. So small he looks like he should be playing little league, but all he does is perform. Likely a future 2B.
    Drew Cisco RHP R- Ironically despite not having a full professional season under his belt, he is probably the most polished of the young arms.
    Kyle Waldrop OF R- Could have the most upside of anyone in the 2010 draft crop.
    Isn't Yorman still looked at as a Centerfielder ?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 02-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Isn't Yorman still looked at as a Centerfielder ?
    My understanding is he could be a CF but with all of the plus-plus defenders in CF in the system (Stubbs, LaMarre, etc.) he projects to more of a plus LF. Kind of like Heisey or Bruce, guys that could be decent in CF but are GREAT corner outfielders.
    Go BLUE!!!

My understanding is he could be a CF but with all of the plus-plus defenders in CF in the system (Stubbs, LaMarre, etc.) he projects to more of a plus LF. Kind of like Heisey or Bruce, guys that could be decent in CF but are GREAT corner outfielders.
    Well there's no garuntee who will be in the majors when he's ready for the show. He could be ready next year w/ only LF as a real option, or he could take another 4 years, if ever w/ several of the OF spots open to an up and coming prospect. I don't think his prospect value shouldn't be affected by who's in front of him in the majors, especially when he's likely at least 3 seasons away.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Well there's no garuntee who will be in the majors when he's ready for the show. He could be ready next year w/ only LF as a real option, or he could take another 4 years, if ever w/ several of the OF spots open to an up and coming prospect. I don't think his prospect value shouldn't be affected by who's in front of him in the majors, especially when he's likely at least 3 seasons away.
    It's not an issue of who is in the majors now, but who is in the minors.

LaMarre, Sappelt, Perez, and Means are all guys who would likely play CF (defensively) before Yorman. Let's see how long he stays at CF, even in the minors.
    Go BLUE!!!

Kind of like Heisey or Bruce, guys that could be decent in CF but are GREAT corner outfielders.
    From everything I've heard, Yorman should be at least plus in center if he doesn't fill out too much.

I don't disagree too much...but I think at this point Mez is an "A" prospect and I'd still have Frazier as a "B" prospect.

IMO, Francisco = Frazier = Alonso

All three have some serious questions and all three should be viewed, at best, with skepticism.

It's not an issue of who is in the majors now, but who is in the minors.

LaMarre, Sappelt, Perez, and Means are all guys who would likely play CF (defensively) before Yorman. Let's see how long he stays at CF, even in the minors.
    JMO but from everything I have ever read about these players listed Yorman seemingly has the highest defensive ceiling of all them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't disagree too much...but I think at this point Mez is an "A" prospect and I'd still have Frazier as a "B" prospect.
    Agree with this. I also think Joseph and maybe Cozart could end up having been worth a B grade at this juncture.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Donnie Joseph is getting a lot of attention after his 2010 season and deservedly so. Having said that, I believe Justin Freeman is a guy that is somewhat under the radar at this point and should be a guy to watch in 2011. I think that right now he is pretty much in DJ's shadow but Freeman's numbers make a strong case for more observation in 2011.

Innings Pitched for Joseph last year, 65. Freeman was at 66.2.
    DJ issued 25 free passes, Freeman issued nine.
    Joseph K'd 103 batter while Freeman K'd 58.
    DJ gave up 22 runs to Freeman's 20.

On paper, these guys aren't far apart at all. Both did well last year and I look forward to their continued development this summer. Keep an eye on Freeman. I'm kind of hyped about what he brings to the table.
    Last edited by muddie; 02-26-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Donnie Joseph is getting a lot of attention after his 2010 season and deservedly so. Having said that, I believe Justin Freeman is a guy that is somewhat under the radar at this point and should be a guy to watch in 2011. I think that right now he is pretty much in DJ's shadow but Freeman's numbers make a strong case for more observation in 2011.

Innings Pitched for Joseph last year, 65. Freeman was at 66.2.
    DJ issued 25 free passes, Freeman issued nine.
    Joseph K'd 103 batter while Freeman K'd 58.
    DJ gave up 22 runs to Freeman's 20.

On paper, these guys aren't far apart at all. Both did well last year and I look forward to their continued development this summer. Keep an eye on Freeman. I'm kind of hyped about what he brings to the table.
    I'd have to think the thing that separates them is the K's, DJ is well, well over a K per IP (actually he is closer to 2 per which is unreal) whereas Freeman is under a K per IP. Sure Joseph still needs a bit of polish and could conceivably get his walks under control but Freeman (and just basing this off of the numbers you are showing here because I don't know anything about him) doesn't seem like the type who will get his K's per IP much over 1 if at all. But perhaps Freeman has just been more inclined to pitch to contact (he certainly shows good command/control with those W/IP #'s). I don't know but if he has actually been trying to K guys then he isn't overly talented apparently. Just throwing that out there.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd have to think the thing that separates them is the K's, DJ is well, well over a K per IP (actually he is closer to 2 per which is unreal) whereas Freeman is under a K per IP. Sure Joseph still needs a bit of polish and could conceivably get his walks under control but Freeman (and just basing this off of the numbers you are showing here because I don't know anything about him) doesn't seem like the type who will get his K's per IP much over 1 if at all. But perhaps Freeman has just been more inclined to pitch to contact (he certainly shows good command/control with those W/IP #'s). I don't know but if he has actually been trying to K guys then he isn't overly talented apparently. Just throwing that out there.
    Agreed on all above. I just want to get Freeman's name out there. Of the two, Joseph is definitely the marquee guy but I like what I've seen from this guy as well. The several times I've seen, I wouldn't expect him to be a K pitcher. He executes and that's what like. It'll be interesting to see if he stays on course this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    JMO but from everything I have ever read about these players listed Yorman seemingly has the highest defensive ceiling of all them.
    In Billings last season, he played a corner OF spot in twice as many games as he did CF. My guess is that's where he ends up.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In Billings last season, he played a corner OF spot in twice as many games as he did CF. My guess is that's where he ends up.
    That could be true. But if he plays a right field like Jay Bruce does..... thats an awfully large amount of value coming from defense even in a corner spot.

Turn Off Ads?