Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I think it might be time for Walt to go...

I think it might be time for Walt to go...

We can blame Dusty all we want for horrible lineup cards and such, but lets be honost, he can only work with what Walt gives him. Well we are almost at 80 games in and Walt has not done a very good job. Yes we have had some injuries to SP so I am willing to give the SP position a bit of a pass.

However it is perfectly clear that the choices Walt has made for 3rd/SS and LF are not working out. So....what do you do? Well you can continue to "hope and pray" that "maybe" Rolen will find the fountain of youth, that Gomes will get hot again for 2 months and Janish will learn how to hit.

OR

You can cut your losses, DFA Gomes and Edgar and bring up some of the young talent at AAA and give them the rest of the season to either shine or confirm you need to look outside the organization in the offseason for improvments in that area....

OR

You can cut your losses, see what is available on the trade market, relize you are going to have to give up some of your young players and go make a deal.

So Walt what will it be? We can blame Dusty all we want, but right now the burden falls on the shoulders of Walt...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I think it might be time for Walt to go...

How many others teams that are still in the race are in the same position as the Reds? I don't see any of these other general managers making crazy moves. We would be in the exact same position right now no matter who was running the team.

Sure, the lack of a move so far has been frustrating and disappointing, but getting rid of your GM the year after winning a division for the first time in 15 years?

C'mon, things will have to get a lot worse for something of that magnitude to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    How many others teams that are still in the race are in the same position as the Reds? I don't see any of these other general managers making crazy moves. We would be in the exact same position right now no matter who was running the team.
    Crazy moves? Calling up talented minor leagues talent is crazy? Trading for players is crazy? We are looking at 4th place behind the Brewers, Cards and friggin Pirates...how long do you want to wait...till the Cubs pass us?

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Sure, the lack of a move so far has been frustrating and disappointing, but getting rid of your GM the year after winning a division for the first time in 15 years?

C'mon, things will have to get a lot worse for something of that magnitude to happen.
    Your right, lets wait till we are in 5th place in the division, I mean after tonights game Pittsburgh will pass us so that just leaves the Cubs and Stros and well they are not that far behind. Sorry but outside of the move to get Rolen, please explain to me any good moves Walt has done to improve this franchise since taking control?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Crazy moves? Calling up talented minor leagues talent is crazy? Trading for players is crazy? We are looking at 4th place behind the Brewers, Cards and friggin Pirates...how long do you want to wait...till the Cubs pass us?
    I'm not saying I want to wait, I'm just looking at what other teams are doing and I don't see 4-5 players being DFA or traded or released. I doubt that a different general manager would handle things a lot differently than how Walt has handled this.

Yeah since when is calling up a couple young studs from AAA crazy? This team obviously needs a spark and they certainly aren't going to get it from Edgar, Janish, Gomes, etc.

Your right, lets wait till we are in 5th place in the division, I mean after tonights game Pittsburgh will pass us so that just leaves the Cubs and Stros and well they are not that far behind. Sorry but outside of the move to get Rolen, please explain to me any good moves Walt has done to improve this franchise since taking control?
    1. Signing Arredondo for just a minor league deal.
    2. Drafting Mike Leake (probably the most consistent pitcher outside of Cueto).
    3. Signing Aroldis Chapman (his potential is obviously still through the roof).
    4. Locking up Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto.
    5. Signing Votto through his arbitration years.

He also hasn't made moves just for the sake of making moves, while this can't necessarily be quantified, he has been able to keep our farm system very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I'm not saying I want to wait, I'm just looking at what other teams are doing and I don't see 4-5 players being DFA or traded or released. I doubt that a different general manager would handle things a lot differently than how Walt has handled this.
    Not worried about other teams, just looking at ours adn can see that changes need to happen or we will continue to hover around .500.

Not worried about other teams, just looking at ours adn can see that changes need to happen or we will continue to hover around .500.
    That's fine but you said in your post that Walt needs to go. Who do you think should replace him, and would this person do anything differently than what Walt has done?

Just to clarify, I completely agree that some type of shakeup needs to happen, but I don't think it's to the point where we consider canning Walt.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    1. Signing Arredondo for just a minor league deal.

He has pitched okay, but not that impressive.

2. Drafting Mike Leake (probably the most consistent pitcher outside of Cueto).

Shouldn't the scouts get that credit?

3. Signing Aroldis Chapman (his potential is obviously still through the roof).

Great we signed him then have done nothing but screw him up due to poor mag't of him BY WALT

4. Locking up Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto.

How did either of those improve the team this year?

5. Signing Votto through his arbitration years.

Again how did that improve the team this year?

He also hasn't made moves just for the sake of making moves, while this can't necessarily be quantified, he has been able to keep our farm system very strong.

What is the purpose of the farm system? Because of right now I sure can't tell with Walt in charge. He won't give any of them a chance on the major league team, he won't deal any of them for major league talent. So exactly what is the point of having a good farm system?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Firing Walt is a bit extreme. But I am disappointed that we have this stellar farm system that the organization refuses to use properly. Those guys will be 28 and 29 years old before many of them get a chance at this rate.

I appreciate what Rolen has given us, but his best years are behind him.
    I wanted to see what Janish could do full time. He crashed and burned. Next shortstop in.
    There is no justification for playing a .190 hitter for 2 1/2 months in left field. None at all.

I can understand waiting for the starting pitching to come around. They have a decent track record. We've seen Cueto good to great. Bailey looks better each year. Arroyo is hit or miss and always has been. Volquez has the stuff but not the command. Leake has made a comeback. Wood is struggling but had his moments.

I can't understand not doing something about LF and SS. Makes no sense.

obv win it all in triple a

Turn Off Ads?