Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When Deception is the norm

When Deception is the norm

It seems like deception is the new normal. Whether it be deceptive advertising by restaurants, who serve something of much different quality than they show in their promos. Went to Chili's tonight, you should have seen the sick little steak with a little bit of crusted parmesan on top. You know what the ads look like. My steak looked nothing like the one they show on TV. Subway and Taco Bell also come to mind as serving something that looks nothing like what they showed in their national ad campaign. Consequently, I only go there when choices are very limited, and try to avoid those restaurants. But others don't seem to be bothered by this. They just accept that what they are served looks nothing like what drew them in to that restaurant in the first place.

Then there's the nonchalance that Beyonce announced her lip synching the national anthem at the inauguration. It's common to do that, she says. No big deal, it was the right thing to do so it sounded good and didn't want to detract from the festivities. Really? It certainly got more attention than whether or not Michelle Obama rolled her eyes during dinner. Now she's gonna knock us over at the Super Bowl. Speaking of mirages, have you ever seen her with her makeup off?

Nikki Mirage?

How many guys are in jail for pyramid schemes because they can convince people that if it sounds too good to be true, it is really true because they are such nice people. 30% returns, no need to check into that, just trust me.

Of course, we have the glaring example of Manti Te'o.

Deception has become the norm. Its hard to not be skeptical of anything anyone says anymore. Time after time, some scheme is revealed. It is becoming so common that we just shrug our shoulders anymore.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-31-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Likes:

Ravenlord (02-01-2013),remdog (02-11-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When Deception is the norm

Caveat emptor

There's a little bit of you get what you pay for. There's a reason the taco costs $0.99 or the steak costs $9.99. That said, I can't remember a time when it was ever any different.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I had to search to find out, but Beyonce ain't too bad without makeup.

I stopped eating at places like taco bell and subway in favor of local delis and the like. The food is infinitely better, and you were given no visual expectations that will be disappointed.

We have a sub shop that effectively dominates the sandwich game in central NJ. So much that the President even went there for lunch. When I pass by a subway and see cars in their lot, I just have to assume it's out of towners driving through, because why would anyone go to subway when Tastee is right around the corner?

Also, has anyone else ever noticed that subway smells kinda weird? Not a bad smell, but just... unique. Kind of like a bread smell, but sweet? It's a smell only found in subway shops, too, from what I can gather.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There's a little bit of you get what you pay for. There's a reason the taco costs $0.99 or the steak costs $9.99. That said, I can't remember a time when it was ever any different.
    I get a really, really good 8 oz sirloin steak for $10 at Texas Roadhouse. I paid $12 for the 6 oz tonight, and it was awful.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I get a really, really good 8 oz sirloin steak for $10 at Texas Roadhouse. I paid $12 for the 6 oz tonight, and it was awful.
    this is why for the last few years my wife and i, her family, and my family go in three or four times a year on an entire cow from a couple different farms in the tri-state area.

i agree with the general idea of deception being the norm. in the industry i work in, it's expected and occassionally we get even more scrutiny because we don't try to sell poorly made merchandise as usable.
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 02-01-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add on
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I had to search to find out, but Beyonce ain't too bad without makeup.
    She looks beauftiful.

I stopped eating at places like taco bell and subway in favor of local delis and the like. The food is infinitely better, and you were given no visual expectations that will be disappointed.
    I have not eaten at a chain restaurant in years.

We have a sub shop that effectively dominates the sandwich game in central NJ. So much that the President even went there for lunch. When I pass by a subway and see cars in their lot, I just have to assume it's out of towners driving through, because why would anyone go to subway when Tastee is right around the corner?

Also, has anyone else ever noticed that subway smells kinda weird? Not a bad smell, but just... unique. Kind of like a bread smell, but sweet? It's a smell only found in subway shops, too, from what I can gather.
    My son is in college and works part-time at a Subway. They treat him well, so I won't be critical.
    Last edited by Spitball; 02-01-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

that's actually the smell of the fermentation (the rising of the dough) in the italian bread and the herbs & cheese bread. the sugars break down kinda odd in those.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    that's actually the smell of the fermentation (the rising of the dough) in the italian bread and the herbs & cheese bread. the sugars break down kinda odd in those.
    Ok that makes sense, but why don't other bakeries smell that way?

For a Level Playing Field

Deception?!?

How about ESPN, FOX and all other media oulets NOT mentioning that the guy they have put on the biggest pedestal prior to the NFL's biggest game helped cover up a DOUBLE MURDER. Deer antlers... please. DOUBLE MURDER cover up! Then you have an idiot like Warren Sapp who says he cannot believe anyone would still talk about it.

Yep. He got rid of the clothes he was wearing that night. The two guys that "supposedly" sliced and diced two other humans that night were a part of his posse and rode to and from the murder scene in a limo rented by RAY LEWIS. Yes, Ray was in that limo too. GOOGLE up "Ray Lewis Murder" and read about that night if you do not know much about it.

He is not a murderer. But he was involved in covering up two murders. He was involved in aiding two murderers. I have not heard it mentioned yet. Instead I hear how great he has been as a LB and a leader. Leader? Yes, led his two murdering buddies away from the scene of the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Deception?!?

How about ESPN, FOX and all other media oulets NOT mentioning that the guy they have put on the biggest pedestal prior to the NFL's biggest game helped cover up a DOUBLE MURDER. Deer antlers... please. DOUBLE MURDER cover up! Then you have an idiot like Warren Sapp who says he cannot believe anyone would still talk about it.

Yep. He got rid of the clothes he was wearing that night. The two guys that "supposedly" sliced and diced two other humans that night were a part of his posse and rode to and from the murder scene in a limo rented by RAY LEWIS. Yes, Ray was in that limo too. GOOGLE up "Ray Lewis Murder" and read about that night if you do not know much about it.

He is not a murderer. But he was involved in covering up two murders. He was involved in aiding two murderers. I have not heard it mentioned yet. Instead I hear how great he has been as a LB and a leader. Leader? Yes, led his two murdering buddies away from the scene of the crime.
    ESPN (e.g. Steven A Smith) will always say something like "I'm not excusing what happened during the double murder case...but I love Ray Lewis and he can ball!"

I agree with you. It's weak

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Caveat emptor
    What?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Ok that makes sense, but why don't other bakeries smell that way?
    because it's not real Italian bread. it's white bread. the smell comes from using what would normaly be too much sugar in order to offset that bleached white flour is essentially flavorless.

Turn Off Ads?