Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Left field

Re: Left field

Get Mark Kotsay from the Padres. They like our players and prospects. They might even take Heisey. Somebody like that is what I have in mind.

Derrick Robinson backs up CF for now.

Just looked at Kotsay's numbers. Maybe we should go for someone else.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cingrani is poised to take over for, probably, Arroyo next season after Bronson's contract ends.
    I'll hate to see Arroyo non-tendered.

How much will Bob C. hate to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'll hate to see Arroyo non-tendered.

How much will Bob C. hate to see it?
    Bronson's long contract ends this year and he'll want some money to re-sign.

I've always expected him to move on after this year.

But you make a good point. Since his bad, injured year in 2011, Bronson has been nails. Wonder how the Reds will handle it.

Of course, if Arroyo can get, say, three years at a high salary someplace, I think he'll be gone. Reds won't do that. Two years? Not sure what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Completely agree. They can get a veteran without trading that IMO. There just won't be anyone available until at least June and more likely July IMO. By then, Ludwick may be back or Hamilton may be ready. I might even be up for giving Donald Lutz a look at that point as long as he hits in AA.
    Felix Perez instead of Lutz if I had a say in the matter.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Felix Perez instead of Lutz if I had a say in the matter.
    There was a time when I was pretty high on Perez. Now I'd say his best case is to become, well, Xavier Paul. That might happen for him, hope so, but its not really an upgrade.

Lutz has a chance to be more than that.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

malcontent (04-21-2013)

I wonder if there is any chance at all that we could get someone like Alex Gordon out of KC. I think he would be amazing on this team and a long-term addition that could help out this year, and while Choo would be leaving BHam could fill in in centre (I would imagine) and Gordon would hold down left.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

There was a time when I was pretty high on Perez. Now I'd say his best case is to become, well, Xavier Paul. That might happen for him, hope so, but its not really an upgrade.

Lutz has a chance to be more than that.
    We agree with that - Lutz could be a lot better. Right now, though, Perez is the steadier hitter. He's shown more power this year - 3 homers already after only hitting 4 all of last season.

If we were talking about 2014, would be different story. I hope Lutz gets time at AAA this season
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Some of you are overthinking this. There is no one we're going to find on the cheap who is better than Xavier Paul. In fact, there is no one on the cheap we'll find who's even AS good as him. X-Man is the best fit in LF v RHP until Ludwick returns.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

"I'm not surprised that he hasn't taken off but I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't done better," Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Monday. "But since Heisey has been here, I've sort of spotted him against certain kinds of pitchers. Everybody was hollering that they wanted Heisey to play every day but sometimes, matchups are better than playing against everybody."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

Just wondering: Has Baker ever stuck with a straight platoon at any position? With the Reds or with other teams?

He "spots" guys against "certain kinds of pitchers". Why can't he just stick with a straight platoon instead of using a Tarot card deck?

I don't think its Tarot cards. He knows Heisey hits certain styles of pitcher better and uses him then. I'd be OK with a straight platoon, but spotting a guy to his strengths isn't a terrible way to choose who plays.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't think its Tarot cards. He knows Heisey hits certain styles of pitcher better and uses him then. I'd be OK with a straight platoon, but spotting a guy to his strengths isn't a terrible way to choose who plays.
    One thing is certain. Heisey is much better off the bench. History tells us tat the more often he plays, the less effective he is.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Chris Denorfia would be a perfect platoon partner for Paul, and he can play all three outfield positions. Doubt he would cost much in talent. He's a backup on a last place team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

David DeJesus would be a great target. Gives you a good professional at bat. High OBP guy.

Unfortunately Dusty wouldn't hit him second, as then you'd have Choo, DeJesus and Votto all hitting lefty in a row.

The outcry that would occur when Cozart was put in the 2 hole, and DeJesus was put down in the lineup would almost make it not worth it.

16. Likes:

remdog (04-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Chris Denorfia would be a perfect platoon partner for Paul, and he can play all three outfield positions. Doubt he would cost much in talent. He's a backup on a last place team.
    Denorfia. hmmm. that name sounds a bit like the guy the Reds once had in AAA who was going to be the next big thing.

I always like Deno. If I recall the Reds basically sold him for ~$1M. Deno is a nice right handed part of a platoon. I don't think he is "the answer" for LF.

I think the Reds will try & hold the fort until Ludwick comes back. If he can't THEN they'll look for help mid season (If Billy H isn't ready)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Denorfia. hmmm. that name sounds a bit like the guy the Reds once had in AAA who was going to be the next big thing.

I always like Deno. If I recall the Reds basically sold him for ~$1M. Deno is a nice right handed part of a platoon. I don't think he is "the answer" for LF.

I think the Reds will try & hold the fort until Ludwick comes back. If he can't THEN they'll look for help mid season (If Billy H isn't ready)
    I don't remember anyone claiming that Denorfia was "going to be the next big thing." The buzz was more like, "he has a chance to be a solid starter."

Turn Off Ads?