Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2013

Re: UK Football 2012

Well, it now appears Stoops is going to have a VERY interesting opening game as UK head coach.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, it now appears Stoops is going to have a VERY interesting opening game as UK head coach.
    Just to expound on that, it appears Bobby Petrino will be the new HC at WKU.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/10/bo...tern-kentucky/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Sounds like it's a done deal. Neal Brown will be the OC.
    They're opting to cut ties with Randy Sanders? Horrors...

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just to expound on that, it appears Bobby Petrino will be the new HC at WKU.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/10/bo...tern-kentucky/
    WOOT!!!!!

Just for clarification: Harbaugh, Taggert, Petrino in football over the past decade screams that WKU ADs know how to target successful young coaches.

In basketball, the list is more extensive and goes back much further. Tom Crean being one of them.

Only Taggert was young among the football coaches.

part of BBN

I have to admit, Stoops would have been around 3 or 4 on my list but now, excitement is building and with the coaches brought on, looks like he was a good choice.
    Now if that just translates to the field...........

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Only Taggert was young among the football coaches.
    David Elson was young. He just wasn't especially good.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    WOOT!!!!!

Just for clarification: Harbaugh, Taggert, Petrino in football over the past decade screams that WKU ADs know how to target successful young coaches.

In basketball, the list is more extensive and goes back much further. Tom Crean being one of them.
    Bobby Petrino's young?

I get what you're saying though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Has Charlie Strong earned a 4 million dollar a year paycheck?

Or is Tom Jurich just spending like a drunken sailor yet again with the Kentucky taxpayer left to pick up the bill?

part of BBN

Stoops does the "Y" in his first UK game today.

part of BBN

I seen reports of the wrestler "Sting" touring the UK campus several days ago and wondered what was up. Seems as though, UK is recruiting his son, Steve Bordon who has UK listed as number 1 on his list right now.

Stoops certainly hit the ground running. This might be the best group of Kentucky assistants since Don Shula, Buddy Ryan, and that crew under Blanton Collier.

Of course, that group didn't break .500 in the SEC.

Still, the schedule sets up nicely for Kentucky. There are at least seven winnable games on the schedle, and they lose only a couple standout linemen and a WR or two from a very young team last year. If they can find a couple of Randall Cobb/ Stevie Johnson-type playmakers and if Stoops can indeed install a moderately effective defense, this team could maybe win eight games.

I think we're going to finally be able to recruit a team full of SEC-level players.

I think Stoops and the staff he has assembled are going to be able to coach them up.

But he and his staff haven't earned any of that yet... cautiously optimistic is what I guess I would label myself as. When I see next year's recruiting class I'll be able to tell you a lot more (not this current class, the one after).

So in your esteemed position as fanatic par excellance, does Barnhart deserve credit for this hire, WMR? Because, from my vantage point, he's been AD at the time they've hired their best:
    Men's basketball coach (yes, including Adolph Rupp)
    Women's basketball coach
    Baseball coach (twice)
    Second-best football coach (Bryant number one, Brooks number two)
    Tennis coach
    Volleyball coach

UK has enjoyed its most success overall (Barnhart's mission when he accepted the job, remember) since he's been AD. Women's basketball is now a Top 10 program consistently. Baseball is relevant. Golf, tennis, track, volleyball, rifle-- all are Top 25 programs or better nationally much more often under him than previous administrations. And, while I realize you don't care about the non-revenue sports, let me assure you, the university does.

Not only that, Kentucky athletics also has made more money under Barnhart than any other AD.

His teams have won-- and won clean. A basketball championship. The most sustained success in football in decades. Perhaps ever. Baseball in the NCAA field. Women's basketball in the Elite Eight. No major NCAA violations. No secondary violations that have brought any recrimations. The highest APR scores of any AD in school history.

That's a heck of a resume, IMO.

His pompous comments and attitude are still on the record.

He botched hires at the only two sports that matter.

He gets NO credit for Cal.

Mitchy should just keep his head down and pray that Stoops is the real deal.

Turn Off Ads?