Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Meetings First Day In Review

Re: Winter Meetings First Day In Review

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Lowry is not good, his K/BB ratio was awful and hes a soft tossing lefty.

Bad bad idea

It might be a bad bad idea, but....

As I said before, K/BB ratio is really his only bad stat, and there have been many successful pitchers with bad K/BB ratios.

Eric Milton was a hard throwing lefty. I would rather have a soft tosser, since they tend to give up less homers. Lowry only gave up 12 last year.

To answer Baseclogger:

I respect you response that he was not that bad, but he will be awful in the future. I could see that happen. But I could also see him staying close to the same. His numbers say so many different things about his future, but I understand why someone would be scared to get him.

In terms of his home/away and what I think he would do in a Reds uniform:

In eight games at homer happy parks, he gave up 6 homers (which would translate to 22 homers in 30 starts) and had a 3.93 ERA. If you assume that GABP is the worst, then he'll probably give up 28 homers (the same as Harang and Arroyo) and a 4.5 ERA. For a back of the rotation, that is pretty good, and better than what the Reds have now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How many have had 1:1 ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    How many have had 1:1 ratio?
    First, Lowry has a 1.66 K/BB ratio for his career. That was just last year. Not fair to hold him to one year.

Second, Kirk (thanks baseclogger) Rueter had close to a 1:1 ratio in his last five full years (327:295), and averaged 12 wins a year and around a 4 era over that period.

Third, I agree Lowry is not the best option. But he is not as bad as everyone is making him out to be.

He has a bad whip in a pitchers park and strikes out no one.

Honestly id rather give maloney a chance before trading someone for Lowry.

I agree that Maloney is a better option than Lowry. I'd rather not get Lowry, but I do think the Reds need someone to add depth to the pitching staff, even if Maloney is an answer for this year.

I'd pass on Lowry. There are many more options out there, I'd rather just sign Tomko than trade talent for Lowry.

I can't wait to bring this thread up in July when Lowry's ERA is 5.5...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I can't wait to bring this thread up in July when Lowry's ERA is 5.5...
    If that is directed at me, awesome! Feel free to bring it up, although I can assure you I will make many more, even dumber comments between now and then.

Turn Off Ads?