Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Realignment

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: College Football Realignment

Cincinnati might as well join conference usa again and just oblitereate the conference for years to come. Somehow a Top 25 program in both basketball and football can't find a power conference that wants them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I keep thinking that the basketball-only Big East schools will combine forces with the A-10. Not sure how it would exactly look, but I think that's probably their best bet.
    I assume G'town, Nova and St. John's find some sort of softer landing than this. As a Xavier fan, I don't want to be too greedy. That leaves:

Providence
    Seton Hall
    Marquette
    DePaul

Kind of a homely lot (Marquette excluded). But it would still look nice in a combo with 8 A-10 teams (so that the auto-bid remains):

Xavier
    Dayton
    Butler
    VCU
    St. Joe's
    Saint Louis
    Rhode Island
    Richmond

The biggest upsides for the A-10ers would be (along with adding Marquette) losing Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne. I'd almost miss St. Bonny. Almost.

Never happen, I'm sure, but it's fun to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The best thing for UC is if any of the B1G, SEC or ACC make the move to 16 teams. The expansion list for the ACC is probably UCONN, UofL and UC (in that order). UCONN can pack their bags now. If the ACC moves to 16, add UofL and UC. If the other two leagues make the move to 16, they'll probably poach the ACC. When they do, UofL and UC backfill.

The really bad situation for UC is if the Big XII decides to make the move to 12. I see them going with UofL and BYU before UC.

If there's no more expansion, UC stays in the Big East. It's far from ideal, but at least we'd share the same bed as UofL.
    On the BGnews board they are talking about 20 team mega ultra conferences (4 divisions x 5 teams).

What I read (can't link):
    B1G adds Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, FSU/Miami, Find someone (Pitt, BC, ???) , Notre Dame.

Pac adds Texahoma (Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State to get to 18 and thus no big 12 to sue), then 2 of Colorado State, Boise, midmajor Texas Schools, Air Force (with AFN deal), and it mentioned a couple other schools. Then both of them would have a united network that would show games on both.

Hopefully if this were to happen Ollie has SEC's contacts on speed dial from last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Rutgers? In the Big 10? The conference of Hopalong Cassady, Red Grange, Dick Butkus, Crazylegs Hirch, Woody Hayes.... and Rutgers?

This has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Rutgers? In the Big 10? The conference of Hopalong Cassady, Red Grange, Dick Butkus, Crazylegs Hirch, Woody Hayes.... and Rutgers?

It actually is the birthplace of collegiate football (beating Princeton in 1869).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Aside from the markets and cable rights increase these 2 programs bring, it also sets up the dominoes for future expansion to 16.

Rumors of FSU to the B12 have been rampant for some time. This gives them more incentive to move on as Maryland will set the market place for buyouts. FSU may potentially take Clemson along with them, further weakening the ACC brand. That then gives VTech an easier path to leave for the SEC, something both sides would favor, which then opens things back up for the B10 to pick up Virginia, UNC or GTech to extend their reach along the eastern seaboard.

If all that happens, its hard to feel bad for the ACC who did all they could to kill off the Big East.
    But what’s that sound coming from the ACC’s headquarters, on the day one of its charter members hits the road?

Those are chickens coming home to roost.

What the ACC reaped in 2004, it now sows. Before the Big Ten and Pac-12 and SEC cut their various swaths through the college sports landscape, the ACC pretty much invented the concept of the “super-conference” as it exists today. It did so by stripping the Big East for parts.

The great irony of it? If the ACC as it once existed falls apart, what’s left will look an awful lot like the old Big East. Odds are that it might be as viable and relevant as the current Big East, too.

It no longer matters what school the ACC invites to join it next.

Eight years ago, it invited Karma. And Karma has now shown up.
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ecommended_4_5
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    That would be nice in an ideal world. In reality, all the money will go towards renovating football stadiums..
    And paying football coaches and improving the facilities and so on and so forth. Sure, some of it will trickle down to the non-revenue programs but these programs have not flourished during this realignment era so I can't see how they will in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I think the Big10 is thinking 20 teams, then they will have Big 10 A, the original guys, and Big 10 B, guys brought in for TV markets, they won't play each other much but will have a title game at the end of the year and of course a unified TV contract.

Virginia,Ga-Tech,UNC,Duke,Pitt, Syracuse? Buffalo if they insist on AAU schools.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And paying football coaches and improving the facilities and so on and so forth. Sure, some of it will trickle down to the non-revenue programs but these programs have not flourished during this realignment era so I can't see how they will in the future.
    Right. This is basically conference commissioners and ADs playing a game of "Who's got the bigger you-know-what". To hell with the kids. It's not good for college sports for each school to wake up each morning and wonder either what conference they will be in or who will be in their conference tomorrow.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It actually is the birthplace of collegiate football (beating Princeton in 1869).
    and only a handful of teams since...
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What would getting into Florida get the B1G? I would imagine that Maryland has a nice Academic University, but its athletic department has been in the tank since Gary Williams left. Their football program stinks, the only thing they really bring is the market, DC, Baltimore, and maybe some of Northern Virginia.

To be honest I was very much in favor of the Nebraska move. It brought a football "program" with a rich history and a very nice fan base. It may not have brought any major markets into the picture but it did add a 12th team for a title game. I think you also have to look at the PSU addition of years ago, big time program. Maryland and Rutgers do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. Both are blah programs who don't really do much if anything to the competitive atmosphere.
    There are a lot of people who live in FL so that means lots of subs for the Big10 Network. It also means a lot a recruits as it is an area rich with speedy, talented football players

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There are a lot of people who live in FL so that means lots of subs for the Big10 Network. It also means a lot a recruits as it is an area rich with speedy, talented football players
    Its not just that theres a lot of people in Florida. Where do a lot of people go to retire? Florida there's a HUGE population of snow birds and retirees from the target location of a Big 10 Network easy sale job to get covered if they can get "close enough" for the cable networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post

I agree.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think this is more about money than athletic competition
    This is why we pay you the big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Rutgers to the Big 10 makes about as much sense as Princeton to the Big 10.

Turn Off Ads?