Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League 2012 -- Season 4

Redszone Dynasty League 2012 -- Season 4

Welcome to the fourth season of the Redszone Dynasty League!

Time to get the ball rolling for another action-packed year of fantasy baseball excitement.

Yahoo fantasy baseball is going to open on Thursday February 9th. I will fire up the league on that date. Each of you should receive an email from Yahoo asking you to register and claim your team, so be sure to check the email account you used to sign up last year.

Once everyone gets registered for the league I will be able to add all our players to our rosters. I will need to know which 30 players you want to keep. You might have had more than 30 players at the end of the season if you had players on the Disabled List. I will be sending you PMs here on Redszone this evening. In the PM will be your full roster, so just tell me which guys you want to cut to get down to 30 players. I will need your reply by Thursday of this week.

We will have a 5 round draft again this year. It will be a slow draft (10 hours per pick) and will begin sometime around March 10th-17th like we did last year. The draft order will be the reverse of last year's final standings and will be a straight draft. Last year only 2 team owners made a pick in all 5 rounds. Most people selected 4 players.

Season 4 Draft Order:
    1) nate
    2) BaseCloggers
    3) stephenk29
    4) camisadelgolf
    5) TRF's debacle
    6) cinredsfan2000
    7) GAllen5862
    8) Gilpdawg
    9) RedsManRick
    10) AtomicDumpling
    11) mbgrayson
    12) redsfandan

Draft rules:
    1.You have 10 hours to make your pick. If you have not placed your pick within 10 hours, the next player can go ahead and post his pick. You do not lose your pick. You can still make your pick as soon as you return to the website.
    2. After you make your pick please email the next player to let him know it is his turn. This will speed up the draft. To send the email click on "Email League" at the top of any league page. Then click on the next player and send him a message.
    3. The draft will be a straight draft consisting of five rounds.
    4. To make your pick just post your draftee's name on the league message board like this: round.pick Player Name (1.1 Johan Santana or 5.12 Jay Bruce) Then you can add the player to your team by selecting him from the Free Agent list.
    5. If you ask someone else to post your pick or your draftee is on waivers the commissioner will add your player to your team page as soon as possible. Before you pick, make sure the player has not already been drafted.
    6. You can trade draft picks. The only pick you can't trade is the one that is "on the clock". We learned from experience that can cause long delays.
    7. The draft will be a straight draft. All rounds have the same draft order.
    8. Multiple picks can be skipped. For example, 10 hours have elapsed since pick 4.3 was posted so pick 4.4 is skipped and pick 4.5 is on the clock. If 10 hours later pick 4.5 has not been posted then he is skipped and pick 4.6 is on the clock.
    9. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings.
    10. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers.
    11. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over.
    12. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis -- it is not a free-for-all as soon as the last draft pick is made.

2012 Waiver Priority:
    Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings (same as the draft order).

Everyone is encouraged to post in this thread. Please share your thoughts, concerns, smack talk, banter and trade ideas so we can all discuss them as a group. An active league is a fun league.

Can't wait to get started!

-- Atomic Dumpling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redszone Dynasty League 2012 -- Season 4

Is this the year my team finally stays healthy and competes!?!?

Will Bryce Harper become Jeebus this season or wait until next year!?!?

I probably don't have the talent to finish in the top three, but with a little health I think I have a team that should at least finish in the middle of the pack...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Is this the year my team finally stays healthy and competes!?!?

Will Bryce Harper become Jeebus this season or wait until next year!?!?

I probably don't have the talent to finish in the top three, but with a little health I think I have a team that should at least finish in the middle of the pack...
    You have quite a few good young players that will only get better as they gain experience. Your team has potential if they stay healthy. Can't wait to see Bryce Harper play here in Cincy, hopefully in a game started by Stephen Strasburg.

I am looking forward to my second year in the league. I made progress in taking over a team with the second overall pick to now picking seventh. I am hoping to continue making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    I am looking forward to my second year in the league. I made progress in taking over a team with the second overall pick to now picking seventh. I am hoping to continue making progress.
    Yes you have definitely improved that team significantly since you took it over.

Everyone should have received their registration email today. Let me know if you did not get it.

Go ahead and register, then select your 30 keepers on your team page by Monday.

The official beginning of fantasy baseball means Spring is near right?

High five!

I should get to pick 1st and 2nd with how I ended up last year.

I posted this on Yahoo but 30 keeper spots sure seems like a lot. It doesn't make for a lot of nailbiting choices of who to keep. Nor does it make the draft pool very deep.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I should get to pick 1st and 2nd with how I ended up last year.

I posted this on Yahoo but 30 keeper spots sure seems like a lot. It doesn't make for a lot of nailbiting choices of who to keep. Nor does it make the draft pool very deep.

Am I missing something?
    It is a dynasty league, so you keep your entire roster every year. The roster size limit is 30. It is possible to exceed 30 when you have players temporarily on the disabled list, but you can only keep the 30 permanent members of your team.

The challenge of a dynasty league is to build a team for the long haul. The draft is primarily composed of prospects or players moving to larger roles with their MLB team. That means the draft is usually not going to make an immediate large impact on your team's performance. You can get great players in the draft but they may take some time to develop into fantasy studs. To build a winning dynasty team you have to be active on the trade market. If you don't think your team is good enough to win this year then it might be a good idea to trade some veterans for some more prospects, the goal being to improve your chances to win in coming years.

Our league is entering its 4th year already. We have seen some teams make big improvements from one year to the next. Redsfandan finished 11th in year 1, then 7th, then 1st. Camisadelgolf went from 12th to 4th in one year. Both of those teams made a lot of trades. Other teams have done similar things. So don't get too discouraged if your team fairs poorly for awhile. Big improvements can happen fast.

I basically sat out the year last season and finished 6th.

I intend to do better this year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The Redszone Dynasty League is now officially open for business in 2012!

All rosters have been finalized and non-keepers have been dropped. You can now set your starting lineups. We can also begin proposing trades.

We will start the draft sometime around March 5th-12th, but the official date will be determined later. The slow draft will last for 5 rounds with each team having a 10 hour time limit per pick.

Obviously, do not add any free agents to your team before the draft.

Don't forget to use the Trading Block to list the players from your team that are available for trade.

Time to evaluate your team, make some trades, prepare for the draft, enter a slogan for your team and build your dynasty.

Have fun!

2012 Draft Order:
    1) nate
    2) BaseCloggers
    3) stephenk29
    4) camisadelgolf
    5) TRF's debacle
    6) cinredsfan2000
    7) GAllen5862
    8) Gilpdawg
    9) RedsManRick
    10) AtomicDumpling
    11) mbgrayson
    12) redsfandan

We will start the draft Sunday, March 11th at Noon!

The slow draft will last for 5 rounds with each team having a 10 hour time limit per pick.

The draft begins Sunday, March 11th at Noon.

Once again it will be a slow draft with a 10 hour time limit for each pick. The draft will last for 5 rounds.

Once the draft starts please check the site regularly to help keep the draft moving. Please make your picks as soon as you can.

If you would like to receive a text message when your turn comes up please send me your cell phone number.

2012 Draft Order:
    1) nate
    2) BaseCloggers
    3) stephenk29
    4) camisadelgolf
    5) TRF's debacle
    6) cinredsfan2000
    7) GAllen5862
    8) Gilpdawg
    9) RedsManRick
    10) AtomicDumpling
    11) mbgrayson
    12) redsfandan

Draft rules:
    1. You have 10 hours to make your pick. If you have not placed your pick within 10 hours, the next player can go ahead and post his pick. You do not lose your pick. You can still make your pick as soon as you return to the website.
    2. After you make your pick please email the next player to let him know it is his turn. This will speed up the draft. To send the email click on "Email League" at the top of any league page. Then click on the next player and send him a message.
    3. The draft will be a straight draft consisting of five rounds.
    4. To make your pick just post your draftee's name on the league message board like this: round.pick Player Name (1.1 Johan Santana or 5.12 Jay Bruce) Then you can add the player to your team by selecting him from the Free Agent list.
    5. If you ask someone else to post your pick or your draftee is on waivers the commissioner will add your player to your team page as soon as possible. Before you pick, make sure the player has not already been drafted.
    6. You can trade draft picks. The only pick you can't trade is the one that is "on the clock". We learned from experience that can cause long delays.
    7. The draft will be a straight draft. All rounds have the same draft order.
    8. Multiple picks can be skipped. For example, 10 hours have elapsed since pick 4.3 was posted so pick 4.4 is skipped and pick 4.5 is on the clock. If 10 hours later pick 4.5 has not been posted then he is skipped and pick 4.6 is on the clock.
    9. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings.
    10. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers.
    11. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over.
    12. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis -- it is not a free-for-all as soon as the last draft pick is made.

Final 2012 Standings:

1. 108 redsfandan
    2. 96 Atomic Dumpling
    3. 85 mbgrayson
    4. 79 TRF's debacle
    5. 67 camisadelgolf
    6. 66 Basecloggers
    7. 64.5 RedsManRick
    8. 58 Gilpdawg
    9. 47 cinredsfan2000
    10. 45 Nate
    11. 36.5 stephenk29
    12. 28 GAllen5862

Congratulations to redsfandan for winning his second consecutive title!

Congratulations redsfandan.

Well now we have completed the 4th season of our dynasty league. Remember way back at the beginning when we had our original draft? We drafted 29 players each. How many of those players are still on your team?

13 -- CRF2000: Mark Teixeira, Alfonso Soriano, Brandon Phillips, Jacoby Ellsbury, Hunter Pence, Michael Young, Felix Hernandez, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Josh Johnson, Paul Konerko, Jed Lowrie, Mark Buehrle

8 -- mgbrayson: Jose Reyes, Prince Fielder, Chad Billingsley, Andre Ethier, Mike Napoli, Jered Weaver, Elvis Andrus, Cody Ross

8 -- Atomic Dumpling: David Wright, Johan Santana, CC Sabathia, Carl Crawford, Matt Kemp, Victor Martinez, Robinson Cano, Billy Butler

8 -- stephenk29: Miguel Cabrera, Chase Utley, Nick Markakis, Justin Morneau, Jon Lester, James Shields, Adam Wainwright, AJ Pierzynski

6 -- Gilpdawg: Alex Rios, Curtis Granderson, Jhonny Peralta, Edinson Volquez, Zack Greinke, Torii Hunter

4 -- redsfandan: Hanley Ramirez, Justin Upton, Clayton Kershaw, James McDonald

4 -- GAllen5862: Alex Rodriguez, Chris Young (OF), Adam Lind, Tommy Hanson

3 -- BaseCloggers: David Ortiz, Josh Beckett, Trevor Cahill

2 -- camisadelgolf: B.J. Upton, Chase Headley

2 -- TRF's debacle: Joey Votto, Ryan Ludwick

1 -- Nate: Grant Balfour

1 -- RedsManRick: Jose Valverde

There were 29 rounds in the draft, but we have 30 man rosters now.

Some of these guys might have been dropped or traded, then reacquired rather than having been on the team without interruption ever since the draft.

GAllen5862's team was drafted by WMR before the 2009 season. GAllen5862 took over for the 2011 season.

RedsManRick's team was drafted by reds77 before the 2009 season. RedsManRick took over for the 2011 season.

CRF2000 still has almost half of his original 29 man roster. Look at those pitchers. He made some great draft picks that are still the foundation of his excellent pitching rotation.

Nate and RedsManRick only have one lonely survivor left from their drafts, both are closers.

It seems to me that our teams have changed a LOT over the years. Most of the players from the early rounds are still stars, so if they are not still on their original teams it is because they were traded. Once you get past the first half-dozen rounds of the draft you start seeing quite a few dud picks and players that have gotten too old to remain productive and were dropped.

Almost all of the guys on the list were already established star players at the time of the draft. Very few of them were prospects that have since blossomed into stars -- Justin Upton, Clayton Kershaw, Billy Butler.

Justin Verlander wasn't drafted until the 12th round.

How many will remain a year from now?

How long until no draftees remain with their original teams?

Here are some late round picks that turned to gold:

11th round: Matt Cain, Zack Greinke
    12th round: Justin Verlander, Johnny Cueto
    13th round: Clayton Kershaw, Pablo Sandoval
    15th round: Adam Jones
    16th round: Josh Johnson, Billy Butler
    18th round: Jered Weaver
    24th round: Jordan Zimmerman, Elvis Andrus, Chase Headley, Aaron Hill
    25th round: Ian Kennedy
    26th round: Hiroki Kiroda
    28th round: Yadier Molina, Andrew McCutchen
    29th round: Jeremy Hellickson