Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How so? I would have given Matheau a handful of offensive snaps which I don't believe LSU did. I don't think Alabama schemed to take him out of the game. I think they schemed to beat LSU while Miles never made any adjustments.
    Tyrann Mathieu mostly was rendered ineffective by the ball control strategy of the Bama offense......I don't remember any real chance that he had to make a play..

Concerning offense, I don't think the honey badger has ever played on that side of the ball for LSU.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alabama strikes me as a grind-it-out kind of team. Nick Saban is the ultimate be-prepared kind of coach and has counters to counters to strategies kind of schemes all prepared and coached. Really hard to sneak something by on him.

Whereas Miles strikes me more as an intuitive and emotional kind of coach. He has such fabulous athletes so he just has to wait for one of them to make a great play and then the feeding frenzy starts and you get caught in an avalanche.

What happened in the BCS game was that the LSU catalyst never happened. Saban and staff had every i dotted and t crossed and were prepared for everything. Miles waited and waited and waited and then it was too late.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Tyrann Mathieu mostly was rendered ineffective by the ball control strategy of the Bama offense......I don't remember any real chance that he had to make a play..

Concerning offense, I don't think the honey badger has ever played on that side of the ball for LSU.
    Alabama attacked Mathieu a couple of times that I can recall. Alabama was pretty aggressive until they got into FG range and then stalled.

Concerning offense, its the national championship game and you need to think outside of the box. When you have the most talented player on the field you need to find a way to get his hands on the ball. Michigan did this with Charles Woodson and Georgia did it with Champ Bailey. They had 6 weeks to figure a way to do an end around or line him up as a WR. They also didn't have him returning kicks when it became clear that their offense wasn't doing anything.

I am not suggesting that they play him on both sides of the ball Chris Gamble style. More what Michigan did with Woodson, get him involved in 5 offensive plays a game becasue if he gets the ball in space, look out.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Georgia did it with Champ Bailey.
    Bailey played quite a bit of WR in the regular season. I seem to recall him even getting some snaps at QB early in his UGa career.

They didn't just dream up plays to get him involved in between the regular season and the bowl game. He was part of their offense all along.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

NCAA President Mark Emmert would support a four-team playoff in college football -- as long as the field doesn't grow.After giving his annual state of the association speech Thursday in Indianapolis, Emmert acknowledged he would back a small playoff if that's what Bowl Championship Series officials decide to adopt.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1jKLOuIkz

I like the idea of a small playoff set up of four teams, but the excuse that the players can't take extra games is a huge crock, look at the Div1AA playoffs, North Dakota St played 15 this year, in 2008 Richmond won playing 16, didn't hear about their players collapsing from fatigue.
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I like the idea of a small playoff set up of four teams, but the excuse that the players can't take extra games is a huge crock, look at the Div1AA playoffs, North Dakota St played 15 this year, in 2008 Richmond won playing 16, didn't hear about their players collapsing from fatigue.
    Good point. And you'd think a lot of guys on D-I teams that are eligible for the playoffs probably played many extra playoff games in high school before going to college. Most HS teams play 10 regular season games and then anywhere from 4 to 6 playoff games if making it to their state final.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Bailey played quite a bit of WR in the regular season. I seem to recall him even getting some snaps at QB early in his UGa career.

They didn't just dream up plays to get him involved in between the regular season and the bowl game. He was part of their offense all along.
    In Ohio State's bowl game against Oklahoma State a few years back Ted Ginn took snaps at QB. He hadn't taken snaps all season long at QB.

I am not talking about putting the guy in for all the offensive snaps but when you have the best player on the field, 6 weeks to dream up a game plan, I think you would attempt to get him the ball. Heck even if you just run him out wide as a WR to create a distraction. It happens in college football, especially during the bowl season, and its part of the reason I was surprised that Miles didn't attempt to do anything.

The reason why there isn't a playoff system is because of the bowls. They are like PACs with Congress only without rules. They exert their influence (i.e. grease the NCAA's palm with big bucks) and then the NCAA comes up with BS reasons (like too many games, players need a rest, don't want to give up the "bowl experience" for the student/athletes, etc etc.) as to why there isn't a playoff system.

And school presidents and ADs allow this to happen when its a crime how much money they are leaving on the table for struggling schools. The bowl tail wags the NCAA dog here.

Bowl honchos have a very sweet deal going and they sure as heck don't want to give it up. That's why there isn't a playoff.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I agree Roy, which is why I'm not overly enthusiastic about some of the proposals for a plus one, or other options coming from the existing establishment. I want the entire system blown up. As long as they're allowed to continue to exist and line their pockets, what's best for them will always trump what's best for the sport.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The populace would revolt if the NCAA took away the 6-6 Bowl...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    NCAA President Mark Emmert would support a four-team playoff in college football -- as long as the field doesn't grow.After giving his annual state of the association speech Thursday in Indianapolis, Emmert acknowledged he would back a small playoff if that's what Bowl Championship Series officials decide to adopt.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1jKLOuIkz
    Tail's not wagging the dog too much here, is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I do not favor a 4 team playoff, though I suspect it is the neccessary stepping stone to a larger playoff. I favor a playoff with the AQ's each sending a representative of their choice (conference champ) and 2 at large teams. 1st round are home games at top 4 seeds. It'd be interesting to have the 2nd and final round in the same city on back to back weekends. That'd allow you to take vacation and stay the whole week, catching both games if your team wins in the 2nd week.

GL

If you want a true playoff, you have to do away with the automatic qualifiers

What am I missing? Wouldn't a properly marketed and sponsored 16 or so team playoff be a bigger cash cow than the current bowl system? You could leave some bowls behind for the teams that don't make the playoff field.

Turn Off Ads?