Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs: Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Shocking!
    But, and I have said this a few times, If hitting 7th is his magic comfort zone, AND he embraces his role as a power hitter, He's got as much overall upside as Jay Bruce.

I just think offensively he fights his instincts too much.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He's got a sub .700 OPS in just under 2 months this year. I'd say he hasn't proven a thing at the plate. The numbers with him batting 7th are encouraging, but I wouldn't bat him leadoff. Add in that whenever he's been at a level for an extended period of time, the league has figured him out pretty quick. High A, AA, AAA, and the majors.

Right now Cabrera has this line as the leadoff hitter: .333 .380 .409 .789 If he can keep that up, and Stubbs can post an .800ish OPS batting 7th, then his continued presence in a Reds uniform won't irk me so much.

But offensively, he hasn't proven jack. yet.
    I'd say that he has at least proven that he is better then the last two center fielders the Reds have had.Not saying much I know but they still have jobs and at the time the Reds went out of their way to sign them.I think that he has also shown that he can be a big contribute to the offense in streaks.Not ideal but given his limited time and potential improvements I'd say that's plenty acceptable given how good his defense is.I agree that the Reds can't afford to put him in the leadoff spot but like you pointed out, that shouldn't be a problem and he's doing fine where he's at right now.

I know they're not much alike and have a completely different approach but Drew's ability to contribute reminds me of what Edwin Encarnacion gave the team.Some power along with hot streaks that made you think he could be great followed by week long and sometimes month long slumps.Edwins defense just made that impossible to tolerate.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I'd say that he has at least proven that he is better then the last two center fielders the Reds have had.Not saying much I know but they still have jobs and at the time the Reds went out of their way to sign them.I think that he has also shown that he can be a big contribute to the offense in streaks.Not ideal but given his limited time and potential improvements I'd say that's plenty acceptable given how good his defense is.I agree that the Reds can't afford to put him in the leadoff spot but like you pointed out, that shouldn't be a problem and he's doing fine where he's at right now.

I know they're not much alike and have a completely different approach but Drew's ability to contribute reminds me of what Edwin Encarnacion gave the team.Some power along with hot streaks that made you think he could be great followed by week long and sometimes month long slumps.Edwins defense just made that impossible to tolerate.
    I think Taveras was DFA the other day. I'm not sure if CP is still with the Orioles.

I'd say he's actually playing against regular 25 man rosters and regular pitching staffs. If his OPS is above .730 by the end of june, I'll be thrilled. If he can push it past .800 for the year, I'll never make a negative comment about Drew Stubbs again. ever.

Like I said, I think in the leadoff role, he fights his instincts too much. I also think if he continues to hit and for some reason Cabrera can no longer do the job, Dusty will go to him as the leadoff hitter, which IMO is a very bad idea.

But I am enjoying the production he's providing lower in the order. grip it and rip it.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I think Taveras was DFA the other day. I'm not sure if CP is still with the Orioles.
    Patterson is with this line in 49 AB's: .286 .375 .469 .844

Edit: great googily moogily. He's the O's starting LF AND leadoff hitter!
    Last edited by TRF; 05-25-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    CP is there

Patterson is with this line in 49 AB's: .286 .375 .469 .844

Edit: great googily moogily. He's the O's starting LF AND leadoff hitter!

I thought the O's had a bunch of young talented outfielders.Hard to believe that a castoff like CP could find a everyday job there.

He's got a sub .700 OPS in just under 2 months this year. I'd say he hasn't proven a thing at the plate. The numbers with him batting 7th are encouraging, but I wouldn't bat him leadoff. Add in that whenever he's been at a level for an extended period of time, the league has figured him out pretty quick. High A, AA, AAA, and the majors.

Right now Cabrera has this line as the leadoff hitter: .333 .380 .409 .789 If he can keep that up, and Stubbs can post an .800ish OPS batting 7th, then his continued presence in a Reds uniform won't irk me so much.

But offensively, he hasn't proven jack. yet.
    You think that it's gonna take an .800 to make him worth having? I think he's valuable at around .730 and above.

As for Cabrera, he has been great in the lead off spot this year. But I think we all know that his batting average is going to drop 50-60 pts from .333 and his OBP along with it. I really expect Stubbs and Cabrera to be about the same offensively by the end of the year.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You think that it's gonna take an .800 to make him worth having? I think he's valuable at around .730 and above.

As for Cabrera, he has been great in the lead off spot this year. But I think we all know that his batting average is going to drop 50-60 pts from .333 and his OBP along with it. I really expect Stubbs and Cabrera to be about the same offensively by the end of the year.
    He's an all star with a .800 ops. I guess that's serviceable
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

Of course he needs to hit .800 (MLB average .735) he's stuck in the Bronson zone.

"Fans want the player to be not what he inherently is but what they think he ought to be."

Jim Bronson

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Of course he needs to hit .800 (MLB average .735) he's stuck in the Bronson zone.

"Fans want the player to be not what he inherently is but what they think he ought to be."

Jim Bronson
    Managers too.

Stubbs is at least trending in the right direction, and combined with his defense, base stealing ability and overall speed, if he can give the Reds a boost of another 30-40 points of OPS then I'll be pretty happy with his production.

I do notice he plays a few steps deeper in center than most guys (Colby Rasmus plays much more shallow, for example), and I wonder if that's something Stubbs does on his own or if the Reds coaches are instructing him on positioning per the scouting reports. Given his positioning, he's been able to get back to the wall fairly easily on balls hit over his head - I really hoped he could have caught that smash off Cordero in the 9th last night. I wonder how many hits have dropped in front of him, though. That being said, he did make a very nice sliding catch running in last night on a line drive, a type of shot where it was questionable if Stubbs could get to it as it came off the bat, but he got to it and made a nice play.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Major league average in CF is .261/.330/.412/.741

If Stubbs can do that, the Reds will be in a good position.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I do notice he plays a few steps deeper in center than most guys (Colby Rasmus plays much more shallow, for example), and I wonder if that's something Stubbs does on his own or if the Reds coaches are instructing him on positioning per the scouting reports. Given his positioning, he's been able to get back to the wall fairly easily on balls hit over his head - I really hoped he could have caught that smash off Cordero in the 9th last night. I wonder how many hits have dropped in front of him, though. That being said, he did make a very nice sliding catch running in last night on a line drive, a type of shot where it was questionable if Stubbs could get to it as it came off the bat, but he got to it and made a nice play.
    I would imagine that, with Stubbs' fantastic speed, he cheats back a bit to have a play on the hard-hit balls that head towards the wall and trusts his own footspeed to make up the extra step or three on the softer / looping stuff.

Could also be defensive strategy -- concede a few more singles (and a few more balls to the 2nd basemen and SS moving backwards) to protect against the XBHs off the walls and into the gap. With the plus-defending Phillips @ 2nd, I suppose you can figure that he'll get at least some of the "can't make it in" CF balls. Additionally, if the idea is that Stubbs has extra responsibilities to his right side (given Gomes' defensive adventures), it would make sense that he pay a little further back.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I would imagine that, with Stubbs' fantastic speed, he cheats back a bit to have a play on the hard-hit balls that head towards the wall and trusts his own footspeed to make up the extra step or three on the softer / looping stuff.

Could also be defensive strategy -- concede a few more singles (and a few more balls to the 2nd basemen and SS moving backwards) to protect against the XBHs off the walls and into the gap. With the plus-defending Phillips @ 2nd, I suppose you can figure that he'll get at least some of the "can't make it in" CF balls. Additionally, if the idea is that Stubbs has extra responsibilities to his right side (given Gomes' defensive adventures), it would make sense that he pay a little further back.

Usually a very fast CFer will play shallow because he knows he can go back and catch up to the ball. Perhaps Stubbs has trouble going back on the ball. I've seen a couple - like the one last night - bounce off his glove while he was going back for the ball. Granted, they were hard hit balls and few CFers could even lay a glove on the ball but that's the only reason I can think of - besides yours- why he plays back that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?