Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Re: Karl Ravech destroying Billy Hamilton on the BBTN podcast

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Is pitching easier to hit in ST?

I know guys like Votto use it to work on their craft, so their numbers aren't always good, but it just seems like a lot of Punch and Judy hitters rake in the spring .
    It is in Arizona. Light air, and breaking balls don't have the same break in them, just like in Colorado.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

For everybody who wonders if Hamilton will ever hit, watch Devin Mesoraco. Not saying they're anything like similar hitters, but it's really hard to hit in the major leagues and it can take time to adjust. Let's give Hamilton at least one time around the league before we judge him too critically.

That said, he is quite possibly the perfect #9 hitter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

4. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (04-18-2014)

Sigh, seems like another "expert" that is finding an easy target to pile on.
    Then if Billy figures things out, he hopes everyone forgets his podcast.
    If Billy fails, he proclaims himself a genius.

Billy's supporters pretty much acknowledge that he's a work in progress and this year will have growing pains, and we need to have some patience.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-18-2014),bagz (04-18-2014),Old school 1983 (04-18-2014)

I think anyone forming conclusions on any rookie experiencing his first April in the leadoff spot on a preseason pick to be a legit contender should be dismissed as speaking out of turn.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

8. Likes:

Ironman92 (04-18-2014),Razor Shines (04-23-2014)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Now it's up to Billy to prove him wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Billy's supporters pretty much acknowledge that he's a work in progress and this year will have growing pains, and we need to have some patience.
    patience? yes but give him the at bats as #7-9 hitter, not as leadoff until he can get on base enough.
    If he canīt hit or get on base in june itīs time to think about the minors... I think he will get better (not by much) but the small improvement will keep him in the big leagues this year
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for sharing this. Ravech does a poor job backing up his claim other than it's his opinion. Never mentions the small sample size this season or how Hamilton was very good at the end of last year. I can't stand the BBTN podcast, I find Olney an absolute bore. I recommend ESPN's Fantasy Baseball Podcast, I don't even play fantasy baseball but those guys have better analysis/opinion than Olney's snorefilled interviews.

IIRC each level he played at in the minors, Hamilton struggled for the first half season while he adjusted. After that he improved. AA was probably the only exception. I would not expect the majors to be different and hopefully he will be given time to adjust and improve.

13. Likes:

RedEye (04-18-2014),REDREAD (04-21-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Ravech does a poor job backing up his claim other than it's his opinion. Never mentions the small sample size this season or how Hamilton was very good at the end of last year. I can't stand the BBTN podcast, I find Olney an absolute bore. I recommend ESPN's Fantasy Baseball Podcast, I don't even play fantasy baseball but those guys have better analysis/opinion than Olney's snorefilled interviews.
    RIP Baseball Today. Of course ESPN would kill the best podcast they had for baseball coverage. Of course they would.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sigh, seems like another "expert" that is finding an easy target to pile on.
    Then if Billy figures things out, he hopes everyone forgets his podcast.
    If Billy fails, he proclaims himself a genius.

It's easy to kick a guy when he's down. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that he's struggling. I think it's going to be a lot different when he's seen the same pitcher the 2nd or 3rd time around and has already pitched 150 or so innings.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-21-2014)

I think Karl has his hairpiece on a little too tight. He seems cranky.

Seriously, I can't take anyone with such a bad piece seriously. Your fake hair man. It's hideous.

My main concerns with Hamilton are that he strikes out a ton, and hits a lot of lazy fly balls. He doesn't have a very short, compact swing where he's stinging line drives all over the place. Maybe he did in AAA, and perhaps he will develop it later on. I wouldn't read too much into his future after this entire YEAR, let alone after this first month. But I do think it may have been foolish of us as an organization to expect a huge contribution from him this year. He simply seems overmatched.

I think it's tough to make a career assessment on a rookie who's career hasn't extended beyond April yet.

20. Likes:

cincyinco (04-19-2014),traderumor (04-20-2014),villain612 (04-18-2014)

They call me "chef"

People on Facebook are tearing apart Billy Hamilton because of his ugly swing today.

Billy Hamilton has a better batting average and on base percentage right now than Allen Craig.

Yes...he's struggling. But it's April. They've played 16 games.

A baseball "expert" making grand conclusions on that sample size is a joke.

Next.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

23. Likes:

cincyinco (04-19-2014),REDREAD (04-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?