Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chattanooga's Three-Headed Relief Ace Monster: Medlock, Pelland & Guevara

Chattanooga's Three-Headed Relief Ace Monster: Medlock, Pelland & Guevara

Thus far in 2007, the struggles of the Reds' bullpen have been well-documented, but the Chattanooga Lookouts wouldn't know what it's like to have a struggling bullpen. The Lookouts currently possess three of the hottest Reds relief prospects in their system in Calvin Medlock, Tyler Pelland, and Carlos Guevara.

As was mentioned last night in the minor league updates thread, while top tier prospects such as Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, and Joey Votto are receiving well-deservedly publicity and hype for their accomplishments, this current trio of relief prospects currently down in Chattanooga are a microcosm of the types of players the Reds need to successfully reach the majors and develop into key contributors.

Here's a quick look at what Medlock, Pelland, and Guevara have done thus far in 2007 ...
    Code:

Reliever   Age    G    IP     ERA   DIPS   WHIP  HR    K   BB   HR/9    K/9    BB/9    K/BB

Medlock   24.6   20   32.2   3.03   1.94   0.83   2   41    3   0.55   11.30   0.83   13.67
    Pelland   23.7    9   18.0   3.50   2.80   1.28   2   28    7   1.00   14.00   3.50    4.00
    Guevara   25.2   19   25.2   2.10   2.58   1.01   2   33    7   0.70   11.57   2.45    4.71

TOTAL            48   76.1   3.07   2.36   1.00   6  102   17   0.71   12.03   2.00    6.00
    RHP Calvin Medlock: Medlock was selected in the 39th round of the 2002 amateur draft and began his minor league career initially as a starting pitcher. Last season, the Reds committed to converting Medlock in a full-time reliever, and he has been nothing short of dominant coming out of the bullpen. Last season in Chattanooga, Medlock pitched in 42 games, totaling 63.2 innings with a K/9 of 9.90, BB/9 of 3.96, and a HR/9 of 0.57. Thus far in 2007, Medlock has improved his command dramatically and has been the type of dominant relief ace every team dreams about with 41 strikeouts and only three walks in 32.2 innings, and he may be looking at a possible promotion to Louisville and/or Cincinnati sometime this season.

LHP Tyler Pelland: Pelland was selected in the 9th round of the 2002 amateur draft by the Boston Red Sox and acquired by the Cincinnati Reds in August, 2003 to complete the deal that sent Scott Williamson to the Boston Red Sox earlier that season. Earlier this season, the Reds committed to converting Tyler Pelland to a full-time relief pitcher, and the early returns have been extremely encouraging. As a starter, Pelland struggled mightily with his command and posted a lifetime 5.10 BB/9 coming into 2007. Thus far this season out of the bullpen, however, Pelland's command has improved dramatically and he's cut his BB/9 down to 3.50. Meanwhile, with a bit of extra velocity out of the pen, Pelland's strikeout rate has simultaneously jumped up with a K/9 of 14, and the cumulative result is now a K/BB ratio of 4.00 out of the bullpen. Pelland is not yet 24-years-old, and it will be exciting to see his development curve as he continues to adjust to his now full-time relief role.

RHP Carlos Guevara: Guevara was selected in the 7th round of the 2003 amateur draft and has posted outstanding numbers at every level he's pitched at throughout his minor league career. Coming into 2007, Guevara had a career 3.06 ERA in 235.2 minor league innings with a K/9 of 11.36, BB/9 of 3.14, and HR/9 of 0.69. Last season in Chattanooga, Guevara pitched in 49 games, totaling 77.1 innings (career high) and finishing with a 3.72 ERA, 10.36 K/9, 3.14 BB/9, and a 0.70 HR/9. Thus far in 2007, Guevara has improved both his K/9 and BB/9 rates and may be looking at a possible promotion to Louisville and/or Cincinnati very soon.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chattanooga's Three-Headed Relief Ace Monster: Medlock, Pelland & Guevara

Tyler Pelland... My Red's Minor League Breakout candidate.

And he's been my breakout candidate for three seasons now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Could anyone give many scouting reports on what type of pitches these guys throw, and what might be holding them back in terms of what they need to develop to be promoted.

Sorry, Wayne, I just don't get this. The AAA roster has a number of veteran minor leaguers, folks who can help an organization but are not destined for the major leagues. Why are Medlock Guevera and Pelland still at AA? It would seem easy to make room for them at AAA.

Not saying they should be with the big club, but with the bullpen woes don't you want to bring these guys to the AAA level? They all have enough minor league experience. Guevera is over 25. If they fail, they fail but it's just hard to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    Could anyone give many scouting reports on what type of pitches these guys throw, and what might be holding them back in terms of what they need to develop to be promoted.
    I don't remember what pitches Medlock throws, but IIFC he throws a pretty good fastball that can get up into the 90's and he has a nice, complete repretoire of pitches.
    Pelland is a lefty. He has an explosive fastball that IIFC can reach the low-to-mid 90s. He also has flashed a pretty good curve (though I don't think he ever knows where it's going), and he throws a changeup as well.
    Some people have considered Guevara a "trick pitch" guy. He throws a screwball but nobody knows if it will be able to fool major league hitters. I'm not sure how good his fastball is or if he throws any other pitches.

Can anyone else fill in the holes of the scouting reports on Medlock and Guevara.

According to BP, Medlock can kick it in mid 90's when he needs to and backs it up with a very good changeup. Should be in the majors by now.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Last summer I think many of us (at least I know I was) calling for Guevara, Medlock, and Coutlangus to get a shot in the BP, all the while Wayne auditioned retreads like Yan and traded substantial talent for the likes of Majewski, Bray, Cormier, and Franklin.

It boggles the noggin. I'm not trying to pick on Wayne, because he is an easy target right now. It just seems like this is/was simple common sense.

Maybe Wayne doesn't realize that his profession isn't rocket science.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Medlock with a 41-3 K/BB is plain ridiculous.

The guy must have done something very wrong to Wayne to warrant such neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

I agree that there is some disconnection here. Clearly, he has earned a promotion to AAA, but instead the Reds trade for MacBeth and keep him in AA.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I agree that there is some disconnection here. Clearly, he has earned a promotion to AAA, but instead the Reds trade for MacBeth and keep him in AA.
    Well I get the trade for McBeth.... but I don't get why Wes Wilkerson is still in AAA and Medlock isnt.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

I don't really understand it too much, either, same with Guevara. My only guess is Krivsky wanted to see them take their game to a new level in Chattanooga, and if that's the case, well both Medlock and Guevara have done it.

I'm expecting a series of promotions in the coming weeks, and I'll be shocked and really wondering what in the world is going on if June comes and goes and Medlock and Guevara aren't at least in Louisville.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I don't really understand it too much, either, same with Guevara.
    Stab in the dark:

Medlock: 5'10"
    Pelland: 5'11"
    Guevara: 5'11"

If any one of those three were promoted to the Reds tomorrow, they'd be the shortest pitcher on the active roster.

Old baseball wisdom re: short pitchers sometimes dies hard. Its been brought up before with Medlock and was speculated that his size was a determining factor in switching him to relief. At this point, given the production level that each one has shown, I'm left wondering if it isn't continuing to factor in the analysis being employed by the Front Office.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stab in the dark:

If any one of those three were promoted to the Reds tomorrow, they'd be the shortest pitcher on the active roster.

Old baseball wisdom re: short pitchers sometimes dies hard. Its been brought up before with Medlock and was speculated that his size was a determining factor in switching him to relief. At this point, given the production level that each one has shown, I'm left wondering if it isn't continuing to factor in the analysis being employed by the Front Office.
    While I tend to agree that this may be the case. If it is? Then it is truly time to look for a more progressive leadership to run the Red's franchise. Height etc should not determine promotion, success and performance should dictate a players future.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Maybe, but Pelland was given a whole year and a month this year with starting. It wasn't working out so they allowed him to move into the pen(looks like a good move).

It is quite possible Medlock simply isn't that talented. Moving him to the pen added a few mph to his fastball. Maybe he is being blacklisted, who knows. Can't tell unless we see him pitch. Have not personally since Dayton. Shafer was "pampered" in AA and now we see why. Time to move him up and trade him, that is for sure.

Guevara is a trickster, little surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Stab in the dark:

It's a good thing that Billy Wagner wasn't a reds farmhand.

Turn Off Ads?