Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeper advice?

Keeper advice?

I posted this for my league last year & it was a nice help seeing everyone's different opinion so I thought I'd try and get a little fantasy discussion started as fantasy baseball approaches so close

I'm in a 12 team standard 5x5 head to head league, where you can give up the picks at the beginning of your draft to keep up to 5 players from the previous year. My year end roster was:

Position Players
    Jay Bruce
    Chone Figgins
    Matt Kemp
    Miguel Montero
    Hunter Pence
    Manny Ramirez
    Jose Reyes
    Pablo Sandoval
    Joey Votto
    Rickie Weeks

Pitchers
    Brett Anderson
    Trevor Cahill
    Johnny Cueto
    Zach Duke
    Kevin Gregg
    Zack Greinke
    Juan Gutierrez
    Luke Hochevar
    Daniel Hudson
    Mat Latos
    David Price
    Chris Perez
    Fernando Rodney
    Justin Verlander
    Brandon Webb
    Carlos Zambrano

I've got it nailed down to 7 or so I'm choosing from, but any other advice out there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keeper advice?

You going with Bruce or Pence (or keeping neither). Or both?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    You going with Bruce or Pence (or keeping neither). Or both?

It's possible neither

I think I'm for sure keeping Votto, Kemp, & Reyes

After that it's down to Weeks, Price, Greinke, Latos, Verlander as my major decisions.. but I'm also tempted to throw Bruce or Pence in there.

It'd be really hard for me to let Bruce go.I think I'd rather have him then Kemp.

Bruce, Kemp, Votto, Price and Greinke would be my keepers. Your team has quite a few players that would be tough to drop.

Votto - #1 round talent
    Reyes - #2 round talent and position is then
    Price - Ranked 12th pitcher in Yahoo
    Weeks - Top 5 second baseman
    Verlander - Ranked 13th in Yahoo.

Greinke is rated higher in Yahoo (7), but is a higher risk in my opinion than Verlander. besides when it's all said and done they will be about the same in every category if Greinke can stay out of the mental hospital.

In the end you have 3 stars in the infield and 2 pitchers in the top 10 at seasons end. I think you can get comparable outfielders to Kemp and Bruce once you start drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Votto - #1 round talent
    Reyes - #2 round talent and position is then
    Price - Ranked 12th pitcher in Yahoo
    Weeks - Top 5 second baseman
    Verlander - Ranked 13th in Yahoo.

Greinke is rated higher in Yahoo (7), but is a higher risk in my opinion than Verlander. besides when it's all said and done they will be about the same in every category if Greinke can stay out of the mental hospital.

In the end you have 3 stars in the infield and 2 pitchers in the top 10 at seasons end. I think you can get comparable outfielders to Kemp and Bruce once you start drafting.
    Kemp is likely a top 10 and Bruce is a top 20 OF in almost any league.If you take into account their age and the fact that it's a keeper league I think you have to keep 1 at least.Not to mention that you have to start at least 4 OF every day in just about every fantasy league.There's not going to be much too comparable once you get past your first round or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Kemp is likely a top 10 and Bruce is a top 20 OF in almost any league.If you take into account their age and the fact that it's a keeper league I think you have to keep 1 at least.Not to mention that you have to start at least 4 OF every day in just about every fantasy league.There's not going to be much too comparable once you get past your first round or two.
    I can see keeping one of Kemp/Bruce and dropping Verlander for that exact reason(keeper staus being young).

Just one word of advice. In any keeper league I draft Mike Stanton. If not already owned pick him up. He won't be available again for at least the next 10 years. Sorry if i got off subject.

Turn Off Ads?