Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alonso in Left?

Alonso in Left?

I thought this was a dead issue. But, Billy Hatcher suggests Alonso is making progress as an outfielder. Can he really be so awful that it is a complete write off? The reports have been brutal, but I'm glad if the club is not completely giving up on the idea just yet. Would love to see him get some time there this spring. He is really useless to this team if he can't make some kind of transition. Despite the fact that he can hit, teams aren't going to step up big in a deal for him knowing the Reds are compromised either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso in Left?

It would be awesome if he could fit in there. If we're gonna look at this realistically, where does he hit in the batting order? 6th, behind Bruce and Rolen? O/c, if he's in LF, then we're stuck with Stubbsley or BP leading off.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

In an ideal world, I guess you could envision him in the same slot as Gomes. They would be interchangeable as platoon partners, not only by position by by the place in the order, and one would be available off the bench to pinch hit against match ups late in the game. Of course, that basically ignores every move Walt did this winter to try and address left field, so the probability of it happening even if Alonso improves himself this spring may be remote. But, they have to do something with the kid. Maybe by late season he will be a viable option out there, and then could head into 2012 with a larger role.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think we're at the point when we're going to have to make some deals. Not necessarily Alonso, but we've got a LOT of youngsters who are ML ready but are blocked by multiple players.

Yonder is blocked by Joey and the plethora of guys vying for LF.
    Frazier is blocked at 3rd by Rolen, 2nd by Phillips, and one of many in LF.
    Francisco...Rolen and LF.
    Dorn...LF & Bruce
    Heisey...LF & Stubbs
    Valiaka....Rolen, Phillips (I think people are saying he's not a SS anymore...not sure I agree)
    Many others are in the same situation. It's almost like there's not a plan in place for these kids and we're just jerking them around from week to week.

And this isn't even touching the catching situation or the pitching. Basically put, we need to settle some of these guys into stable positions or deal a few in a package to get a higher level prospect who's more focused to fit our needs. This fiddling around with guys at multiple positions is just not working from my perspective. If we want Yonder to learn LF...then stick him over there and let him play it day-in and day-out for the season. Not a few times a week. Same for Todd Frazier. These guys have bats that play at the ML right now IMO, give them some stability in terms of defensive positions and then they can focus on honing those skills.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think we're at the point when we're going to have to make some deals. Not necessarily Alonso, but we've got a LOT of youngsters who are ML ready but are blocked by multiple players.

Yonder is blocked by Joey and the plethora of guys vying for LF.
    Frazier is blocked at 3rd by Rolen, 2nd by Phillips, and one of many in LF.
    Francisco...Rolen and LF.
    Dorn...LF & Bruce
    Heisey...LF & Stubbs
    Valiaka....Rolen, Phillips (I think people are saying he's not a SS anymore...not sure I agree)
    Many others are in the same situation. It's almost like there's not a plan in place for these kids and we're just jerking them around from week to week.

And this isn't even touching the catching situation or the pitching. Basically put, we need to settle some of these guys into stable positions or deal a few in a package to get a higher level prospect who's more focused to fit our needs. This fiddling around with guys at multiple positions is just not working from my perspective. If we want Yonder to learn LF...then stick him over there and let him play it day-in and day-out for the season. Not a few times a week. Same for Todd Frazier. These guys have bats that play at the ML right now IMO, give them some stability in terms of defensive positions and then they can focus on honing those skills.
    While I agree in principle, the only guy you mentioned with substantial trade value at this point is Alonso. Heisey and Francisco would be small pieces to add to a deal, while Fraizer needs a serious bounceback year to have any value in a trade. Valaika and Dorn have zero trade value and would if anything be DFA candidates/dealt for PTBNL or cash.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    While I agree in principle, the only guy you mentioned with substantial trade value at this point is Alonso. Heisey and Francisco would be small pieces to add to a deal, while Fraizer needs a serious bounceback year to have any value in a trade. Valaika and Dorn have zero trade value and would if anything be DFA candidates/dealt for PTBNL or cash.
    Well, I wasn't thinking about a 1 player for 1 player deal if we were to go the route of trading some of these kids, but rather a package of multiple youngsters. But more realistically, we'd be better served by solidifying positions for them rather than dealing them away. It would obviously depend upon our need and the specific package. But since I'm not in the room that makes those calls I won't get into specific trades...settling positions should be VERY high on the priority list.

And lastly, I disagree about these kids having little to no trade value. 1 for 1, yes...there will be little value. But packaged...these kids can be valuable commodities.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-18-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Well, I wasn't thinking about a 1 player for 1 player deal if we were to go the route of trading some of these kids, but rather a package of multiple youngsters. But more realistically, we'd be better served by solidifying positions for them rather than dealing them away. It would obviously depend upon our need and the specific package. But since I'm not in the room that makes those calls I won't get into specific trades...settling positions should be VERY high on the priority list.

And lastly, I disagree about these kids having little to no trade value. 1 for 1, yes...there will be little value. But packaged...these kids can be valuable commodities.
    Dorn has next to no value any way you slice it.

Can he really be worse defensively than Jonny Gomes or Adam Dunn?

The Reds have pretty much decided that LF isn't a position that they have to have great defense at, so if Yonder is even remotely passable out there, his bat is probably worth giving the idea a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Can he really be worse defensively than Jonny Gomes or Adam Dunn?

The Reds have pretty much decided that LF isn't a position that they have to have great defense at, so if Yonder is even remotely passable out there, his bat is probably worth giving the idea a chance.
    Yes he absolutely can be worse. I have no idea if Alonso would be, but David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, Jim Thome, Vlad and others would be much worse defensively in left than Gomes or Dunn.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Another point, although the big league team comes first, is if Yonder's in LF, then who plays 1B for Lou? I'm sure one of our minor-league savvy guys can answer.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

While I won't complain about anyone being dealt for the right return, I'd kind of like to hang onto Frazier. I don't see him being an all-star starter at any spot, but I think his value as a utility guy who has some punch of the bench and can fill in at several spots in a pinch is more than you will get in return for him in a deal. I'd make him a bench fixture for three or four years while he's cheap unless someone knocks Walt over with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Another point, although the big league team comes first, is if Yonder's in LF, then who plays 1B for Lou? I'm sure one of our minor-league savvy guys can answer.

Dorn

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Dorn
    I don't understand how that can be. He was exposed to the Rule 5 draft. Surely there was no way he didn't get selected!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Dorn
    With him at 1st, and Balentin and Burke both gone, who's in the OF?

Of course, there's also the carousel: If Alonso is in LF, where's Frazier. If he goes back to 3rd, where's Francisco?

I see no reason to be reflexively bad mouthing Alonso's continued efforts to learn left. In fact, I think this is fantastic news. I would love for them to let him play out there a ton in AAA this year and see if he can get even a little comfortable out there. And it sounds like he has plenty of "want to", which is great.

Gomes/Lewis for this year in LF is fine, but I would be thrilled if Alonso can get competent enough to potentially be an option out there next year. At any rate, I love that he is trying. Great sign.

Turn Off Ads?