Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

Re: Votto expected to be out 3-4 weeks after knee surgery

They said on MLB network Votto was quoted as to saying he will be back just in time for the losing streak to end. So maybe hes already a day late and is back tommorrow?
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

2. Turn Off Ads?

Our friend John Fay has been banging the drum that Votto would be back for the Pirate series...anyone else notice that tonight he changed his tune, saying he would not be back (in his opinion)?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Our friend John Fay has been banging the drum that Votto would be back for the Pirate series...anyone else notice that tonight he changed his tune, saying he would not be back (in his opinion)?
    Figured Votto had another week, at least....?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Fay is as reliable as Amelia Earhardt's round-the-world flight. He has little-to-no idea what he's talking about. For a beat writer, he is shocklingly disconnected and uninformed.

I think Votto will be back by the end of next week. That would put him at about 24 days since the surgery. Maybe next Fri? Hopefully they make sure hes at 100% before even attempting to take the field. The last thing we need is a re-injury situation. Hes already taking swings and grounders. The end of next week sounds about right if all goes well or maybe even before then. I wish we knew for certain.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought his DL stint (15 day?) was to end, or the Reds had to make a decision, this past Tuesday? So is he still considered on the DL, or in a sort of limbo?

It's obvious that it's in Votto's ,as well as the Red's, best interest, to wait until he is clearly ready to return before placing him back in the lineup. Certainly don't want him coming back early and running the risk of not only of stirring up inflammation in the joint but potentially straining one of the muscles around the knee which could make matters worse.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought his DL stint (15 day?) was to end, or the Reds had to make a decision, this past Tuesday? So is he still considered on the DL, or in a sort of limbo?
    In theory, a player can be on the 15-day disabled list all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Fay is as reliable as Amelia Earhardt's round-the-world flight. He has little-to-no idea what he's talking about. For a beat writer, he is shocklingly disconnected and uninformed.
    It sounded like from his 2nd inning stint last night on the radio that he wasn't even going to be covering the Reds for this big Pirate series. Go figure...

Hypothetical question: Do you activate Votto before the Pirates series and use him just as a pinch-hitter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It sounded like from his 2nd inning stint last night on the radio that he wasn't even going to be covering the Reds for this big Pirate series. Go figure...
    That's not his fault. It's the joke of a paper he works for that furloughs reporters all the time. Cost saving measure and all that. Not sure if Tom Groeschen will make the trip or if they'll just use the AP copy.

I rag on Fay from time to time too, but he initial reporting on Votto may well have been based on rumblings coming from his quick progress and it's possible the change in the actual schedule may be that the club has decided that they can afford to give him more time to be sure he's 100% instead of rushing him back as the season's cavalry. Only losing one game out of the last 13 can give you that luxury.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hypothetical question: Do you activate Votto before the Pirates series and use him just as a pinch-hitter?
    No. If Votto aggravates his injury, the Reds brass will never hear the end of it and get blamed for anything involving a losing season or Votto's diminished career. You just can't afford to take that risk unless the Reds' playoff hopes are on the ropes.

Votto's return date still uncertain, but definitely not this weekend.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

Very smart IMHO. This would be a horrible point in a playoff run to push him when he's not ready, especially when the team seems to be (knock on wood) doing just fine without him.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    No. If Votto aggravates his injury, the Reds brass will never hear the end of it and get blamed for anything involving a losing season or Votto's diminished career. You just can't afford to take that risk unless the Reds' playoff hopes are on the ropes.
    Probably not but you can always pinch run for him if he gets on base. Plus, if he's available off the bench, you could always put him in the on-deck circle as a pinch hitting bluff to get the Bucs to waste a pitcher. Everybody talks about how the Reds have no lefty pinch hit options off the bench but this is not only one of the best but possibly the best hitter in baseball who is left handed coming off the bench. Nothing against Xavier Paul but I'd much rather see Votto coming off the bench to pinch hit than him. All Votto has to do is run to 1st base. If he hits a HR, he can jog around easy.

I probably wouldn't do this but it's mighty tempting.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

"Votto? We Don't Need No Stinking Votto!"

[Nor obviously Phillips or Ludwick the way the O put up runs in yesterday's game]

A bunch of us will be down there for Saturday's sold out game. Would love to see Joey play, but it's understandable as to why he won't. We can still win this series.... Wandy has been struggling (Friday's pitcher), and since the AS break McDonald, who pitches Saturday, has not been close to the pitcher of the first half.

And then Sunday, Eric "I just got my butt beat 14-4 by the Cubs" Bedard is scheduled.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-03-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    "Votto? We Don't Need No Stinking Votto!"

[Nor obviously Phillips or Ludwick the way the O put up runs in yesterday's game]

A bunch of us will be down there for Saturday's sold out game. Would love to see Joey play, but it's understandable as to why he won't. We can still win this series.... Wandy has been struggling (Friday's pitcher), and since the AS break McDonald, who pitches Saturday, has not been close to the pitcher of the first half.

And then Sunday, Eric "I just got my butt beat 14-4 by the Cubs" Bedard is scheduled.
    I believe that the Pirates have now changed that to Burnett pitching on Sunday.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?