Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcos Mateo is PTBNL to the Cubs

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Marcos Mateo is PTBNL to the Cubs

...for Buck Coats.

Did we lose anything there?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marcos Mateo is PTBNL to the Cubs

2 HRS in 72 innings; 1.67 GO/AO, 3.5 ERA, about 8K's per 9. Looks like a guy with a pretty good chance to be a major league reliever. I like the home run figure.

I like Mateo. Not sure he is anything more than a run of the mill middle relief ceiling, but it seems like a strange deal to trade any pitching with a chance at the majors for Buck Coats. Of course I'm only going by numbers and its possible that he has no chance and will get exposed at higher levels. I just don't see why the Reds would trade any pitcher for an OF who looks similar to many of the second tier guys already here unless the deal involves dumping salary. It makes you really wonder if the deal was to acquire depth to position the team for a bigger deal with one of the OF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Buck Coats has looked horrendous in the majors.

It seems like a bad trade, but what do I know.

Coats has looked horrible at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Coats has looked horrible at the plate.
    Um small sample size? truth be told if he can come and add to the Reds assets then I applaud his acquisition. Position can not be end all be all. Talent acquisition and raising the competitive bar should always be looked at in a positive light.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Reds finish Coats trade

Didn't see this anywhere else:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds completed their Aug. 30 trade with the Chicago Cubs for outfielder Buck Coats and cash by sending minor league right-hander Marcos Mateo to Chicago.

The 23-year-old Mateo was signed by the Reds as a non-drafted free agent on June 24, 2004. He spent the season at Class-A Dayton, going 2-4 with a 3.50 ERA and six saves in 41 relief appearances.

Joey Votto has looked horrible as a PH'er too. He sucks.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    2 HRS in 72 innings; 1.67 GO/AO, 3.5 ERA, about 8K's per 9. Looks like a guy with a pretty good chance to be a major league reliever. I like the home run figure.
    He's 23 and pitched the entire year in Low-A without a promotion. I think he's a fringe prospect at best (i.e. not as much as Calvin Medlock was, even). It also seems as though he was held in Low-A to put up good numbers for trade reasons, a la Zach Ward.

Promotion is controlled by the organization, not by the player. There's no reason to assume he couldn't have finished the year at Sarasota. Then everybody would say he's age appropriate. I don't think there's any reason to suggest he's headed for stardom and I'm not knocking Krivsky's deal, but 2 homers in 72 innings suggests the guy throws some kind of sinking stuff that will give him a good chance to move up the ladder. Acquiring Buck Coats seems like another one of these deals that Krivsky makes when he's bored and doesn't know what else to do.

You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Joey Votto has looked horrible as a PH'er too. He sucks.

I think Coats and Ellison were acquired because we were short on outfielders. I would hope they would both be released in the off-season if they don't show anything in September.

I think Coates was acquired because the Reds need a lefty hitter for the bench. The starting 8 leans left handed. The bench leans right handed.

Next year, if a five man bench, it could be Keppinger, Hopper, Cantu, backup catcher. Reds need a lefty bat in the fifth bench spot. Coates could compete for that spot with, perhaps, Dickerson. If Hatteberg accepts a bench job, it could be him. Or someone new.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think Coats and Ellison were acquired because we were short on outfielders. I would hope they would both be released in the off-season if they don't show anything in September.
    They could always bring up Dickerson or maybe even Bruce

Turn Off Ads?