Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fangraphs Q&A with Hanigan

Re: Fangraphs Q&A with Hanigan

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Maybe Marshall can be nearly perfect enough to succeed, I wouldn't bet against it. However, if he does, he's beating the odds.
    You say this like he hasn't been doing precisely this for years. He has a long track record of pitching this way, relying on the curveball, and allowing a low HR rate. The question is how/why he would stop being dominant in the 9th inning. Does he pitch differently? Does he hang more curves?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You mean full time catchers? You know, where there are what, 5 per season in all of baseball? Here is the list of catchers who caught 130 games this year:
    Matt Wieters
    Miguel Montero
    Yadier Molina
    AJ Ellis

That is it. Not a single one caught 140 games. Hanigan is used like most catchers in baseball are. Platooned. It has been that way for a long time now. He isn't really different than most catchers. He is different from a very select few.
    He's a young 32 for a catcher. It's that simple. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You say this like he hasn't been doing precisely this for years. He has a long track record of pitching this way, relying on the curveball, and allowing a low HR rate. The question is how/why he would stop being dominant in the 9th inning. Does he pitch differently? Does he hang more curves?
    First, I haven't said that Marshall can't close. In fact, I said I would bet that he could.

However, HR rate isn't the only or even the best way to evaluate how hard a pitcher gets hit.

Now the last two years, Marshall has been hit the hardest in highest leverage situations, by a significant amount.

High Leverage: .260/.316/.325/.641
    Medium Leverage: .189/.250/.203/.453
    Low Leverage: .226/.253/.286/.539
    High Leverage: .276/.349/.398/.747
    Medium Leverage: .212 /.241/.269/.510
    Low Leverage: .195/.247/.230/.477

There are a lot of reasons to explain this, and many of them point to him doing better in high leverage situations in the future. But the facts do demonstrate that during the last two years, he hasn't been reliable closer material.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Even if the reason could be pinpointed, would it matter? Would he be able to make the adjustment needed to dramatically change what are very average career 9th inning numbers and still be effective? Or is it more "he is what he is, which we see by the results does not work in the final inning."

Sometimes, even if you can identify the problem, the next question always has to be "can you do anything about it?"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I already liked Hanigan. After reading this article, I like him even more.

With Choo coming aboard, I don't think he will be hitting at the top of the lineup this year, but I could think of worse things.

Mes could learn a lot, hopefully he will be a permanent backup this year and post some decent numbers. If not, a few more years of Hanigan ain't bad.

I've never seen anything that made me think Corky was manager material. On the other hand, reading this sure made me think Hanigan might be. And he won't have made so much money that he'll feel the urge to just sail off into the sunset when retired.

Hanigan also remains one of my worst calls. I remember watching him in a day game here in Jax when the temp was about 100 and he would come off the field just pouring in sweat. I remember thinking, 'working like that, and the guy never will ever see the big leagues'.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    First, I haven't said that Marshall can't close. In fact, I said I would bet that he could.

However, HR rate isn't the only or even the best way to evaluate how hard a pitcher gets hit.

Now the last two years, Marshall has been hit the hardest in highest leverage situations, by a significant amount.

High Leverage: .260/.316/.325/.641
    Medium Leverage: .189/.250/.203/.453
    Low Leverage: .226/.253/.286/.539
    High Leverage: .276/.349/.398/.747
    Medium Leverage: .212 /.241/.269/.510
    Low Leverage: .195/.247/.230/.477

There are a lot of reasons to explain this, and many of them point to him doing better in high leverage situations in the future. But the facts do demonstrate that during the last two years, he hasn't been reliable closer material.
    Last two years?

In 2011, in high leverage situations, his OPS allowed was .641. I'd take that from my closer anytme.

So we are left with a very small sample size from 2012. Which screams "small sample size" as the reason why his stats varied in 2012.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    He's a young 32 for a catcher. It's that simple. Merry Christmas.
    IMO, there is no such thing as a "young 32 year old catcher".

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    IMO, there is no such thing as a "young 32 year old catcher".
    Comparatively-speaking, of course.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Well that was fantastic. Love reading about his rapport with the pitchers and how aware he is of every aspect of their pitches. I agree with whoever said he has been more of a benefit to Homer than anyone, and I have a lot more faith in Broxton closing with how quickly Hanigan was able to pick up on his best assets. I don't think we'll ever understand his importance to the team's recent success. Here's hoping Mes is an eager learner.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Geez, word is out about Hanigan's awesomeosity:

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2013/2/4/395...st-alex-gordon

edit: For the record, I think the author sort of missed the point, though much of what he says has merit.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 02-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?