Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends always bring along a dog (need advice)...

Friends always bring along a dog (need advice)...

How would you handle this? One of my friends and his girlfriend come to visit occasionally and spend the night. They always bring along their dog, an 8 month old, mini doberman. This dog is not well trained and can be a pain, peeing and pooping all over our home. I don't really want to upset my friend, but my wife is getting pretty tired of having to deal with this dog. When she woke up yesterday morning she actually stepped in the dog's crap with her bare feet! And to make matters worse, they didn't even apologize about it. Needless to say, that was the final straw for her.

I am not a dog hater (my wife and I own a jack russell) but this dog is not well behaved. I really don't know how to approach them about this because of how attached they are to this dog. They won't go anywhere without him. So I am not sure how often they will come over if we tell them that they can't bring over the dog, and my wife and I don't want that because we enjoy their company.

How should I handle this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friends always bring along a dog (need advice)...

Go over to their place instead.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'd show your friend this post.
    It's honest, shows how you really feel...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Tell them they need to bring along one of those dog carrier things and keep the pooch in there when it hasn't been walked/over night etc. etc.

I certainly wouldn't have any trouble broaching this subject with friends of mine if their pooch was pooping and peeing in my house. Gross.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Go over to their place instead.
    and when you do, poop on their floor.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Tell them they need to bring along one of those dog carrier things and keep the pooch in there when it hasn't been walked/over night etc. etc.

I certainly wouldn't have any trouble broaching this subject with friends of mine if their pooch was pooping and peeing in my house. Gross.
    Crate training is the best thing, but they have to be willing to do it at home regularly, or the dog probably would find it upsetting to be locked up when they're away and would cry or bark until he was let out.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Are these really friends? Sounds one sided to me. You should be able to tell a friend anything. "Hey...from now on...you need to keep the dog at home...it's not house trained." If they get mad, they don't value YOUR friendship very much.

They obviously don't respect your home. They did not even say they were sorry for the crap in the floor.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

If you tell them your wife stepped in poop in her own house that ought to make the difference. If it doesn't, then they need an intervention. It's not too much to expect them to understand that you like them and maybe even you like their dog, but that there is a real problem with bringing an untrained pooch into someone's house.

How about this:
    Hey friend, I like you, I like your dog. I like having you over and spending time with you is always fun. But you know what? My wife stepped in your dog's poop in the house last time you were here. If you want to bring the dog over to stay overnight, we have to come up with some kind of an arrangement that will prevent this from happening again.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

In the words of men and those current Bud Light commercials, just say "Dude". If you have an open and honest relationship with them, just tell them. It obviously is eating at you, and it will get worse. However, they could be so attached to that dog, that they may choose the dog over you, so be prepared, people are getting so batty over their pets. I have veterinarians that work with me frequently, and they will tell you just how nuts people have gotten.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

What SD said sounds good to me.

Are they first time dog owners? Is this their first puppy to train? Is it possible that the new surroundings impact the dog's behavior to a degree? Think of a toddler exploring a new house.

Doesn't change anything, but might explain their own behavior ... not apologizing? or apparently not trying to do anything to control the situation ...

When my sister brings her dogs, or my sister in law, they keep the dogs in their bedroom overnight.

"Accidentally'' let the dog outside.

Then don't apologize.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    If you tell them your wife stepped in poop in her own house that ought to make the difference. If it doesn't, then they need an intervention...
    Call Cesar Millan! The Dog Whisperer. He can train those unruly owners...I hear he even got results with Cartman! ...and you know even Nanny 911 couldn't train him.

If my wife stepped in the poop of someone else's canine in OUR house, they'd be wearing the poop home. That'd be the end of that story.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Yeah, you've gotta cut through the dogcrap, and tell 'em....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Wear a Michael Vick jersey the next time they show up?

Just kidding.

tell them the truth. They are welcome but the dog is not.

If they have an issue with that then it is their problem and they probably weren't as good of friends as you thought. Maybe the reason they like coming over to your place is your the only folks who let them bring the dog.

Wanting to bring a dog is inconsiderate in the first place and much worse when it is poorly trained and not completely housebroken.

Turn Off Ads?