Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lost Dutchman Found.

Lost Dutchman Found.

His body, that is, not the mine. I read a book about him when I was a teen and have been fascinated with his story ever since.

Body of Jacob Walz, "Lost Dutchman" found
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Lost Dutchman Found.

As is the case with many other people that thought they could get rich and/or famous without real work and such... the end was not good. It is a shame for this young man. People that seek Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, treasures hidden by the Nazis, Noah's Ark, the Ark of the Covenant, etc, etc... I always wonder if they are really sane. Obviously they believe in these things that no one can find, but not too many sane people go searching for these things. Perhaps one of those 7 Deadly Sins causes their minds to behave this way? I do not know, but I do know to never hike alone.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Whoa whoa whoa.... Bigfoot exists. The Nazi treasures exist (they find lost works of art every few years). Nessy? I hope she exists.

The Lost Dutchman was not found. It was someone who was looking for the The Lost Dutchman mine. It was not Jacob Walz.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa.... Bigfoot exists. The Nazi treasures exist (they find lost works of art every few years). Nessy? I hope she exists.
    http://listverse.com/2009/09/29/top-...d-confessions/
    In 1934 a doctor named Robert Kenneth Wilson offered a picture to the Daily Mail newspaper. Wilson told the newspaper he noticed something moving in Loch Ness and stopped his car to take the photo. Wilson refused to have his name associated with it so the photo became known simply as “The Surgeon’s Photo.” For decades this photo was considered to be the best evidence of the existence of the Loch Ness Monster. In 1994 at the age of 93 and near death Christian Spurling confessed that the surgeon’s photo taken 60 years ago was a hoax and the mastermind behind it was his Stepfather Marmaduke Wetherell.

In the early 1930s, sightings of the Loch Ness Monster became commonplace, so Spurling’s stepfather who was a big game hunter was hired by the Daily Mail newspaper to investigate. Wetherell found some huge tracks leading to the lake that he proudly displayed to the press. When the Natural History Museum investigated they quickly discovered that the footprints were a hoax. Wetherell was humiliated when the newspaper reported this and for being fooled by the prank. For revenge he asked his stepson Chris Spurling who was a professional model-maker to make something that would fool the public. Spurling started with a toy submarine and then added a long neck and small head. The finished product was about 45 cm long, and about 30 cm high. Wetherell then went down to the lake and took some pictures of the “monster”. To add respectability to the hoax he convinced Dr. Wilson whom he knew through a mutual friend to develop the photo and sell it to the Daily Mail.

Interesting Fact: This deathbed confession is often mistakenly attributed to Roger Patterson of big foot fame. (The Paterson Film) Paterson died of cancer in 1972 and in this case swore on his death bed that the footage was authentic and he had encountered and filmed a large bipedal animal unknown to science.

I started this thread last night about an hour after taking some pain meds. The article isn't what I must have imagined it was at the time. Honestly, I'm a little vague on what I thought I was reading, even. I just re-read the link, and it doesn't even sound familiar.

Sorry. Stupid kidney stones. If someone can change the incredibly misleading title, that might be good.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?