Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

SEC Football discussion thread #2

Jeremy Fowler thinks the Tigers are back on the prowl on the Plains:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...uburn-and-more
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

The NCAA still stinks. Johnny Football forever! Sign away young man. It is time for the NCAA to be taken down a peg or fifty.

4. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The NCAA still stinks. Johnny Football forever! Sign away young man. It is time for the NCAA to be taken down a peg or fifty.
    The big 5 are going to get realigned into a super division soon and things will change dramatically. Likely student athletes as we know them will be closer to minor league professionals than amateur athletes relative to the current system as I think more special benefits will be permissible.

But ya, the big programs are forcing the NCAA to change. I don't think it will be good in the long run.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

N/m
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 08-15-2013 at 08:36 AM.

The Southeastern Conference, Big Ten and Pac-12 have joined the NCAA in announcing they will no longer license their conference trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA football video game.
    If there is one thing that haunts a college administrator's nightmares, it's the fear of being sued. I think that's what this is about.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-football-game

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The big 5 are going to get realigned into a super division soon and things will change dramatically. Likely student athletes as we know them will be closer to minor league professionals than amateur athletes relative to the current system as I think more special benefits will be permissible.

But ya, the big programs are forcing the NCAA to change. I don't think it will be good in the long run.
    How do they plan to get around Title 9? nobody is going to be trying to give money or benefits to the lacrosse team.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    How do they plan to get around Title 9? nobody is going to be trying to give money or benefits to the lacrosse team.
    I think the richer athletic departments are going to increase stipends etc for all student athletes on scholarship. They are going to figure out ways to increase the quality of life and I think recruiting rules are going to get loosened as well.

This sounds altruistic but it really will create a bigger divide between the haves and have nots and allow the Big 5 to essentially disenfranchise the smaller schools.

Miami of Ohio doesn't want student athlete dorms? Don't care....they no longer get a vote!

Here is a list of AP National Champions by conference:

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/fo...s.cfm?conf=yes

Though a reasonable person would reduce the SEC total to 19 given the farce of 1964, the last year the AP crowned a champion before bowl season as Bama embarassed them greatly by losing their bowl game after being crowned.

One could further reduce that to 18 because really they imported one when Texas A&M joined. But if one wants to split those hairs, the Big Ten Conference can only boast 10 national championships won by teams while they were actually fully participating in the Big Ten.

Here's a fun read concerning the deficiencies in the math department @ Tuscaloosa:

http://deadspin.com/5975168/the-defi...bama-is-a-liar

In '73, Alabama won the coaches' poll before losing the Orange Bowl—to the undefeated Irish, the consensus national champ. Yet the Tide faithful still claim that wilted title. It's a little sad, when you think about it. Both the Associated Press (for '65) and the coaches' poll (for '74) revised their systems to account for bowl results, in response to awarding the wrong team—Alabama, in both cases—the national title.
    Last edited by jojo; 08-16-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I claim 1906 and 1911.

Who cares?!?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I claim 1906 and 1911.
    I'm inclined to not argue with 1906 especially since it included a 78-0 win over Alabama and it lifts the soul to even be able to type that but claiming 1911 is stretching it at best as Vandy padded it's record against light weights such as Kentucky.

Who cares?!?
    Once Vandy fans get over the shock of it actually being possible to have a winning record, they'll start dreaming that one day, even the Commodores might possibly, no matter how unlikely, win an actual championship. Then even Vandy fans will care.

I'm inclined to not argue with 1906 especially since it included a 78-0 win over Alabama and it lifts the soul to even be able to type that but claiming 1911 is stretching it at best as Vandy padded it's record against light weights such as Kentucky.

Once Vandy fans get over the shock of it actually being possible to have a winning record, they'll start dreaming that one day, even the Commodores might possibly, no matter how unlikely, win an actual championship. Then even Vandy fans will care.

All the more reason for me to not give a damn Alabama or Tennessee has or claims to have.

If they don't kick the NCAA to the curb first and set up their own system. The NCAA is changing in fear of that but it's still a hypocritical mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Vandy sexual assault case just keeps on giving.

Starting WR charged as an accessory after the fact and suspended from the team. Just lovely.

The Vandy sexual assault case just keeps on giving.

Starting WR charged as an accessory after the fact and suspended from the team. Just lovely.
    There is nothing good to be said about that situation and it isn't an institution or student athlete thing either. The worst 1% on any college campus is capable of things that would make you a worse human for learning of them.

We just hear about the worst 1% that are student athletes.

But this sucks for Vandy's football program. It's a tough thing at a time when the campus should be rallying behind some good times.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yeah, I hated to see that stuff at Vanderbilt. Even though experience tells me I'm probably being hopelessly naive, I still like believing that a football program with real students and decent human beings can compete, and I think that's what Vanderbilt wants and Franklin's trying to do that.

The thing to ponder is, if Franklin was given some additional leeway to recruit players that Vanderbilt would not have normally considered, and these are some of those guys, then... well, as the old saying goes, sometimes you're given enough rope to hang yourself. I don't think one incident with a suitably emphatic response is going to change anything. Vandy wants to be competitive and I think they really mean it, not just lip service. But if "stuff" keeps happening then eventually they'll have to decide how much bad press they're willing to take in pursuit of winning. Not as much as most BCS schools, I'd wager.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?