Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday 6/1/09 Minor League Game Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Monday 6/1/09 Minor League Game Updates

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Somebody posted it to YouTube:
    I don't know who that MikeRivers30 guy is or why he would use an alias to post copyrighted videos of Reds prospects on youtube, but I hear he is really awesome.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Maloney finishes it out for the CG shutout.

10 K
    0 BB
    3 H
    0 R

His ERA is now 2.00
    I believe the Reds will have to show their hand soon. I like Maloney, but have felt that the Reds see him primarily as a trade chip. Yet, his performance definitely merits a promotion. A failure to do so would indicate a reluctance to spoil his trade value with a poor ML performance. The obvious move to me is to DFA Lincoln, send Owings to the pen, and give Maloney at least three starts. Owings seems to be very strong for short stints.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know who that MikeRivers30 guy is or why he would use an alias to post copyrighted videos of Reds prospects on youtube, but I hear he is really awesome.
    I just hope he keeps it up.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I believe the Reds will have to show their hand soon. I like Maloney, but have felt that the Reds see him primarily as a trade chip. Yet, his performance definitely merits a promotion. A failure to do so would indicate a reluctance to spoil his trade value with a poor ML performance. The obvious move to me is to DFA Lincoln, send Owings to the pen, and give Maloney at least three starts. Owings seems to be very strong for short stints.
    Talk about knocking down the door he and Heisey have said, look let us in or we ain't gonna stop the madness! These 2 have earned some recognition from above.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I know a lot of people don't care but as a Bats fan, today's win was great. Not only did we gain a split in this away series after losing the first two, we won the season series against SWB 5-3. Now if we could do that against Norfolk and Durham...

Finally Yonder promoted.

He will hit AAA before the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Finally Yonder promoted.

He will hit AAA before the season ends.
    Yeah I'd like to see him at least get a month in AAA before his inevitable call up in September. That means he has almost exactly 8 weeks to impress in AA.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Yeah I'd like to see him at least get a month in AAA before his inevitable call up in September. That means he has almost exactly 8 weeks to impress in AA.
    I really doubt they call him up.

Alonso is in the Carolina lineup tonight.

Chris Heisey, CF
    Zach Cozart, SS
    Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Todd Frazier, LF
    Juan Francisco, 3B
    Eric Eymann, 2B
    Logan Parker, RF
    Chris Kroski, C
    Zach Stewart, SP

that lineup should strike some fear in AA pitching

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Alonso is in the Carolina lineup tonight.

Chris Heisey, CF
    Zach Cozart, SS
    Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Todd Frazier, LF
    Juan Francisco, 3B
    Eric Eymann, 2B
    Logan Parker, RF
    Chris Kroski, C
    Zach Stewart, SP
    Tonight is the beginning of the end, of Hung-Wen Chen's(Tennessee's starter) baseball career. The depression tonight will bring upon him, will send him into a downward spiral.

Maloney shuts out Yankees in complete game
    Reds prospect strikes out 10 in three-hitter
    By Josh Jackson / Special to MLB.com

06/01/09 4:14 PM ET

Reds prospect Matt Maloney was concentrating on putting together another quality start when he took the mound on Monday, and he didn't disappoint himself.

Maloney tossed a complete-game, three-hit shutout while racking up 10 strikeouts as the Louisville Bats topped the first-place Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, 4-0. He hit one batter but didn't walk anyone in the win.

"I was able to throw a lot of pitches for strikes and found the zone with all my pitches pretty much," said Maloney.

The 25-year-old righty, who's in his second full season in the Reds organization, was fourth in the International League with 132 strikeouts last year while posting a 4.68 ERA. He made several strong outings, but also gave up five or more runs in six starts, twice giving up seven in fewer than seven innings.

So far this season, however, things are going a little more smoothly.

"I've been feeling good lately. I've been consistent," said Maloney, the Phillies' 2005 third-round pick. Through Monday's start, he's allowed just three earned runs over his previous 37 innings pitched, fanning 35 and issuing five walks during that time.

"I've been keeping hitters off balance," said Maloney, who was named International League Pitcher of the Week on may 18. "I'm throwing strikes and my team is stepping up and playing great defense, making all the big plays for me when I need it."

Monday's game did not appear to be destined from the beginning to end as a three-hitter, though. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's Austin Jackson, the second batter Maloney faced, knocked a one-out double to left field in the first inning. Maloney said he didn't reevaluate his approach after Jackson's at-bat because he didn't feel he'd made a mistake.

"The pitch that he hit a double on... was a good pitch. It was a fastball on the inside of the plate where I wanted it," he said. "He got a good swing and hit a ground ball down the line. He's a good hitter, and these guys can do that to you."

After striking out Todd Linden, he faced Shelley Duncan, who is tied for first among all Minor Leaguers with 18 home runs.

"Duncan, he stands fairly close to the plate," said Maloney, who hit Duncan with the 1-2 pitch. "I wanted to work the inside corner and it just got away from me a little bit."

He whiffed Juan Miranda, the next batter, to end the inning. Jackson came to the plate again in the third, and this time Maloney got the best of him.

"I didn't make any major adjustments," he said. "I used a different pitch sequence on him. I threw him a change [with two strikes] and caught him off-balance."

Maloney coasted through the rest of the game, shaking off Duncan's double in the fourth, the last Yankees batter to reach base.

Eric Duncan, who bats left-handed, began the eighth inning with a hard-hit single to right.

"That was a solid hit," Maloney said, who instantly recognized he'd made a physical slip up and wasn't worried about losing his groove. "That was a bad pitch. It was a changeup. I was trying to get it low and away and it stayed up and over the plate, and he got a good swing on it."

Maloney got Major League veteran Kevin Cash, the next hitter, to dribble a grounder to shortstop Luis Bolivar.

"I was pretty happy about that," he said. "I knew I needed a ground ball. I worked him inside and I kind of jammed him, and my defense turned two behind me."

Linden, who struck out looking twice previously, came to the plate with two outs in the ninth. Maloney got ahead in the count 0-2, and then Linden fouled off a pitch on the outside corner, working the count to 2-2. The Mississippi University product put him away to end the game.

"That felt great," he said. "It was a slider right down the middle. I think he was looking for a changeup, and the slider kind of froze him a little. It was a great way to get out of the game."

Although Maloney recognizes he's been pitching well lately, he's keeping one major goal in mind.

"There's always stuff I can improve on. The main thing now is working on being consistent," he said. "Or I guess I should say, staying consistent. I need to make sure I keep going out there and pitch like I've been pitching."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Stewart nice 1st

1ip , 1 hit , 1 k , 0 walks . 2 GO / 0 FO . 14 pitches 12 strikes

Alonso's first AB. RBI single after a Cozart double

Carolina up 1 to 0 bottom 1st

Heisey takes a ball, ball 2, ball 3, called strike, foul, strike three swinging.

Cozart: called strike, ball, double.

Alonso: Ball, line drive single to CF, Cozart scores.

Turn Off Ads?