Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds vs White Sox featured game Sat. night MLB network...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Reds vs White Sox featured game Sat. night MLB network...

Just thought I'd post a heads up for those of us out of the Reds viewing area. We get a rare chance to watch our Redlegs. MLB Network, Saturday night 7pm EST. Cueto vs. Richard.

And by the way, has anybody else enjoyed the heck out of those game highlights with those two guys sitting behind homeplate dressed as Umps making calls in the stands? Those guys were even pulling extra balls out of thier pockets and handing them to other fans like tossing balls out of play. Funny stuff. :O)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Reds vs White Sox featured game Sat. night MLB network...

For once I wish I had tivo or a dvr. I'll be at the Rockies/Pirates game.
    Stick to your guns.

Are the civil rights ceremonies being shown on any channels? I believe they start at 6 EST?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Are the civil rights ceremonies being shown on any channels? I believe they start at 6 EST?
    Both FOX Sports Ohio and MLB Network will carry them. First pitch will actually be approximately 7:40.

FS Ohio picture was 100 times better than MLB Networks. I actually listened to George and he actually did not do to bad. It was a nice evening for the Reds and Cincinnati except for the loss, but were used to that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    FS Ohio picture was 100 times better than MLB Networks. I actually listened to George and he actually did not do to bad. It was a nice evening for the Reds and Cincinnati except for the loss, but were used to that.
    I agree, FSN had a way better picture. I over MLB Network's coverage but Harold Reynolds was actually getting on my nerves last night. You can tell he buys into the whole "stats vs. scouts" war. He even talked about how you can't always accurately judge a player using "cybermetrics." And, yes, he said it that way multiple times.

Worth The Wait

Hate to be overly cynical about this, but did anyone else feel MLB TV's coverage of the Civil Rights aspect of the evening was a bit forced and uncomfortable? It's as if they needed to work in the Civil Rights angle after every pitch. I think a more subtle approach would have worked better. Not a big deal of course, just an observation.

By the way, how cool is Frank Robinson? Great in-game interview-- by far the highlight of the night. I actually kind of had a problem with Hank Aaron's comments, but I guess that's probably a discussion fit for a different forum....

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

By the way, how cool is Frank Robinson? Great in-game interview-- by far the highlight of the night. I actually kind of had a problem with Hank Aaron's comments, but I guess that's probably a discussion fit for a different forum....
    I almost brought that up during the game thread.....

What did he say?

Frank Robinson was certainly the highlight of the night for me. I think Hank could have been a bit more diplomatic in what he said and I'll leave it at that.

Haunted by walks

Hank Aaron was kind of contrary to the spirit of the festivities, but that's all I took it to be. He talked several times about the big picture of blacks not being where they needed to be in spite of the progress made, and wondered why teams didn't have more minority doctors and other off-field business relationships. He was being more of an activist than I'd expect, but I guess he has the right.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Hank Aaron was kind of contrary to the spirit of the festivities, but that's all I took it to be. He talked several times about the big picture of blacks not being where they needed to be in spite of the progress made, and wondered why teams didn't have more minority doctors and other off-field business relationships. He was being more of an activist than I'd expect, but I guess he has the right.
    Indeed, he does. He is a very classy, gracious and humble man. Kind of the 'anti-star' compared to those of the 2000's.
    Last edited by VR; 06-21-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Worth The Wait

I found Robinson to be gracious; Aaron? Not so much.

He said MLB should employ more "black doctors" and invest with "black banks." He kept saying that blacks still weren't getting a big enough "piece of the pie" which kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I think it's a tragedy how baseball has regressed in the black community-- I am ALL for MLB taking a more active role in bringing baseball back to the inner cities (their current "program" is a joke). IMO, the "problem" we have in baseball is grass-roots based, it has nothing to do with MLB handing out money and or jobs to people from certain backgrounds.

Robinson made it a point to emphasize how important personal instruction was for him growing up. And I think it's a pretty simple theory-- have more people take an active role in bringing and teaching the game to black kids, and the rest will take care of itself.

Aaron has every right to remain a bit bitter I suppose considering the taunts and threats he received throughout his career-- especially as he closed in on the Babe, but I just think his philosophies and ideas are misguided.

I think he was having a problem conveying into words what he meant....or trying to say?

However this is not the same type of front office people you had even back in the late 80's....who obviously still had the old boy network going on. I do not see any attempt by baseball...other than trying to be as inclusive as possible to anyone and everyone.

Turn Off Ads?