Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 9/7/2012 Astros at Reds

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: 9/7/2012 Astros at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Given who's at the plate and Phillips next, he should have had a take.
    Considering the pitcher has walked about 7 guys this year and was sure to throw a strike. Which he did and Paul stung it. It happens.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    He was just throwing 100 an outing or two ago. And was throwing 98 tonight. So a few pitches were 94. Who cares? Means nothing. Maybe he's just tired.
    no..they mentioned it has been several outings since he hit 100. Going to 94 is a big deal. If he normally threw 90 and was down to 81 we all would be saying what the heck was wrong...same thing.

There is such a thing as the dead arm syndrome... How is he tired? Not pitched since Tuesday night.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Means nothing? I'm not panicking but certainly the situation needs to be monitored.
    As Brutus stated, if this turns into a trend, then you run some tests. Otherwise it's not a big deal.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    The doomsday scenarios.
    Losing two of three to the Astros? Stubbs saved them a month ago or else they could be 3-4 against this ragtag outfit in the last three series. For some reason the Astros just seem to be causing us (and only us) unnecessary worry recently.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

As Brutus stated, if this turns into a trend, then you run some tests. Otherwise it's not a big deal.
    I say with such an important player, you run them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    What is the Reds record against the Astros this year?
    Now 9-4 for the year.

We are all Brewer fans tonight. They are about to get started.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Losing two of three to the Astros? Stubbs saved them a month ago or else they could be 3-4 against this ragtag outfit in the last three series. For some reason the Astros just seem to be causing us (and only us) unnecessary worry recently.
    This. I've said it before, and I still do think the Reds can beat any team in the NL. But when you can't take care of business against Houston, it makes me begin to really doubt if you can put away a team like Washington or San Francisco when it really matters.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I say with such an important player, you run them now.
    Really? Over one game? He was topping out at 98. I don't think that screams emergency. If he was throwing 92 and topping out at 94 like he was last year for a stretch, I'd be a lot more worried.

Bottom line: we're up 8 (pending outcome of Cards game tonight) with 24 to play. Pretty good shape I'd say. This loss sucks. But in the long run, probably means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    no..they mentioned it has been several outings since he hit 100. Going to 94 is a big deal. If he normally threw 90 and was down to 81 we all would be saying what the heck was wrong...same thing.

There is such a thing as the dead arm syndrome... How is he tired? Not pitched since Tuesday night.
    This has been the case all year. Chapman has been hitting higher velocities after pitching on a second straight or third straight appearance. His velocity has been lower with several days off. He's only pitched 7 times in the last three weeks. It's possible that all the time off has caused him to have a harder time getting up near 100.

By the way, Chapman's average speed on Tuesday was 98 MPH with a max of 100.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This. I've said it before, and I still do think the Reds can beat any team in the NL. But when you can't take care of business against Houston, it makes me begin to really doubt if you can put away a team like Washington or San Francisco when it really matters.
    I remember a few years ago when Tampa still sucked, and they had the Yanks number. That's hardly the case here. We're 9-4 against Houston. Pretty solid lol. Chances are we win the next two games. You guys really just need to take a deep breath. You can't just assume we're going to sweep any team, no matter how bad they are.

I agree no tests needed now...

But I just went threw and watched the pitch sequence again. He was throwing 96-98 pre-home run.

But after it was (off speed included) 95, 94, 84, 94, 93, 94, 84, 83

May have been just mental?

"So Fla Red"

Hopefully we are getting our crappy week in September/October out of our system.

Regarding Chapman. We're Cincinnati professional sports fans, we've been conditioned to go from high to whale dung low in short order the past 20+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    This has been the case all year. Chapman has been hitting higher velocities after pitching on a second straight or third straight appearance. His velocity has been lower with several days off. He's only pitched 7 times in the last three weeks. It's possible that all the time off has caused him to have a harder time getting up near 100.

By the way, Chapman's average speed on Tuesday was 98 MPH with a max of 100.
    Chris Welsh doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I think he's a big part of the reason so many people are panicking. Chapman was just throwing 100 this week, so I don't know what games Welsh has been watching.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas we'd have.

I was more referring to the doomsday scenarios about Chapman. That said, yeah for some reason they've been struggling with Houston. I'm not happy about it, but it's September and they're 28 games over .500. If there were truly major issues to be concerned about, they would have manifested themselves sooner than six months into the season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?