Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Talk!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Comic Book Talk!

I just bought myself a Marvel Digital Comics subscription. I now have access to tons of old and new comics. It seems like a promising new way to waste my time

Any suggestions for storylines or characters to get into?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I just bought myself a Marvel Digital Comics subscription. I now have access to tons of old and new comics. It seems like a promising new way to waste my time

Any suggestions for storylines or characters to get into?
    I've always been into Captain America myself so I have to suggest him.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I've always been into Captain America myself so I have to suggest him.
    Well, I'm currently reading Captain America Comics #1, the intro of Cap from 1941. It's pretty funny to read. From the fact that it's a bit of a propaganda piece to the way it's worded. Interesting to see how far these comics have come.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Well, I'm currently reading Captain America Comics #1, the intro of Cap from 1941. It's pretty funny to read. From the fact that it's a bit of a propaganda piece to the way it's worded. Interesting to see how far these comics have come.
    The current run of Captain America is amazingly awesome. Especially since Cap himself has been dead for over a year now.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The current run of Captain America is amazingly awesome. Especially since Cap himself has been dead for over a year now.
    Who took over for Steve Rogers? Bucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Who took over for Steve Rogers? Bucky?
    Yeah

thus rendering "only Bucky stays dead" moot.

For me, I am loving all things Green Lantern now. I'm drooling over the buildup to Blackest Night. I can't wait to see who will be the Blue Lantern.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    thus rendering "only Bucky stays dead" moot.
    Bucky dying in the first place was a retcon by Stan Lee in the 60s.

Bru's retcon is only a retcon of the original retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Bucky dying in the first place was a retcon by Stan Lee in the 60s.

Bru's retcon is only a retcon of the original retcon.
    Was there post WWII stories with Bucky? I wasn't aware. If not, it isn't really a retcon.

Just wanted to stop in to suggest a couple hidden comic gems. Both involve contributions from an industry powerhouse (Alex Ross, J. Michael Straczynski). Neither involve any characters present in current company "universes":

"Project Superpowers" (Dynamite Entertainment) is a creation of Alex Ross' brain. It involves a group of superheroes who fought in WWII and who eventually had an ally named "The Fighting Yank" turn on them; imprisoning them in a magical urn for decades until they're finally released. Interestingly enough, at least one of the characters ('Devil) is the original Golden Age Daredevil. And a character named "Hydro" was initially designed by Bill Everett, who created the Sub-Mariner. "Mr. Face" appeared as "The Face" six times in "Big Shot Comics" in the 1940's. So there are some real ties to comic book history. So far, it's a really interesting read and the art is very very solid.

Also based around a group of 1940's WWII superheroes is Marvel's "The Twelve". Unknown to anyone at the time, the Nazi's caught and placed twelve Allied Forces' superheroes into suspended animation. This group draws from actual comic history (Timely Comics- an ancestor of Marvel's) as well with 1940's characters such as "Dynamic Man", "Laughing Mask", "Black Widow", "The Blue Blade", "Fiery Mask", and "Captain Wonder" all appeared for a short time in Timely books during that period. Now each has to adjust to being in a brave new world. Another interesting read from a period long forgotten.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Was there post WWII stories with Bucky? I wasn't aware. If not, it isn't really a retcon.
    Yes, there were post WWII stories with both Steve Rogers and Buckey. Those were later retconed into being different people taking on the ID's.

I remember that now. Didn't that Bucky become Nomad?

I remember that now. Didn't that Bucky become Nomad?
    That was the Buckey of the 1950's.

OK - I'm bringing this back for the 10's! 2010's that is. Whats funny is when this thread started Steel was saying how DC was so much better than Marvel and me always being a Superman/Batman guy I agreed. But right now Marvel is just heads and shoulders above. The Captain America stuff, Thor has been great with Asgard in Oklahoma and Doctor Doom involved (not to mention Loki was a hot chick for awhile), Iron Man: World's Most Wanted, the New Avengers, the Dark Avengers (Norman Osborn the head of SHIELD/HAMMER, all top notch stuff.

The Justice League is always good - but I still like the Justice League Unlimited TV show the best. Booster Gold with a whole episode - brilliant.

Anyway, just wanted to bring this back up. Some good stuff in here
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

DC's Cry for Justic was/is awful. Blackest Night has been fantastic though.

I was really down on Marvel for Civil War, but Seige has been very good. They still do cosmic better than DC. Both Annihilation (1st and second version) plus the War/Realm of Kings stuff is good.

But I have just devoured all things Blackest Night right now. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Turn Off Ads?