Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 6/18/2013 Bucs at Reds

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: 6/18/2013 Bucs at Reds

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I agree with this. I know his lifetime stats are better as a 4 hitter, but I have always thought BP would be a much better 2 or 6 hitter. Take away the traditional pressure for cleanup RBI and I think eventually you see BP play much more within himself. The tragedy of Ludwick's injury we talk about less.
    I disagree overall. But agree with the poster who said BP was swinging for the fence in that at-bat.

But for the season, I've seen BP concentrate more on simply getting the run in rather than hitting it out. It's been refreshing.

He might be pressing a bit since he missed a bunch of games and fell out of the lead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    makes this all your fault
    LOL. Don't you have some secret identity to protect? Watch yourself, Raindog... watch yourself. :-)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

4. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He has over 450 career ABs in the top 4 spots in the order, and his best spot statistically is cleanup.

There's not a whole lot to back this up.
    Yeah, I know, that's why I mentioned his cleanup stats in the post. Still, he has way more PA's there than anywhere else -- and the other positions in the order border on small samples, IIRC.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    Yet only has 10 BB's all year, Cesar Izturis has 7 in a quarter of the AB's
    Yes, Brandon Phillips does not walk a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

That's fine. Disagree with it all you want, but I told you why he did it.

For the record, Cozart has struck out the 2nd least of the everyday players.
    How effective has he been as a hitter this year?

What a lot of people don't realize is that when a hit and run is put on, it puts a lot of pressure on a batter. The strategy seems sound...but this is not always the case.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

8. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-18-2013)

Yeah, I know, that's why I mentioned his cleanup stats in the post. Still, he has way more PA's there than anywhere else -- and the other positions in the order border on small samples, IIRC.
    I think he's pretty much the same hitter no matter where you put him.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Yes, Brandon Phillips does not walk a lot.
    Never been his strength. He doesn't believe in OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    How effective has he been as a hitter this year?

What a lot of people don't realize is that when a hit and run is put on, it puts a lot of pressure on a batter. The strategy seems sound...but this is not always the case.
    It also opens up a gigantic hole in the middle of the field. If you have a hitter who is struggling but does a fairly decent job of putting the ball in play, it would seem to be a decent strategy, no?

I think he's pretty much the same hitter no matter where you put him.
    Ah, okay, I thought you were arguing he was better in the cleanup spot.

Let's put Chapman in and start the beanfest.

Ah, okay, I thought you were arguing he was better in the cleanup spot.
    His numbers throughout the lineup are all in the same neighborhood. I think the "he's trying to swing for the fences" thing batting cleanup is way overblown.

He always tries to swing for the downs at times.

Morton is juts the type of pitcher who never really throws you a strike Even 2-0, 2-1 and 3-1.....guys like BP, Frazier, Bruce...will swing when it is still borderline. Now if Darling is giving him a wide zone, then what can you do. And Cozart? He barely lets a pitcher go 1-1 on him let alone 2-0.

Reminds me of Jon Lieber a few years ago when he would make short work of the Reds in less than 100 pitches.

Those VW test drive commercials are pretty good too.

I've been arguing for more playing time for Mes. After the last two nights, I'll find Hanigan a refreshing change tomorrow.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I'm out fellas...like a fat kid in dodgeball!!!

Turn Off Ads?