Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

People thought it was a big deal that they released an album online.

Well if you wait a bit, you'll be able to buy it at garage sales nationwide.
    The Bends was and is great, OK computer is just that OK and after that I agree.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just because I put some of these items on the list doesn't mean I don't like them. I simply feel that they are overrated. Everybody plays Euchre when there are far better games, IMO. Same goes for the NFL. I don't hate the league (although it ranks behind baseball, college football & basketball, the NBA, and soccer on my list).

As for Radiohead Dom, I couldn't disagree with you more. To me there are two types of music fans. Fans who like music that sounds like nothing they've ever heard (myself & Radiohead), or music that sounds like something you have heard before (my wife & Carrie Underwood).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

The NFL is fun to watch, but it doesn't hold a candle to baseball. I also don't like hearing about it during the summer. I have pretty much stopped watching ESPN since I have gotten DirecTV. I have plenty of other options. I still watch the Sunday Night Game and the ESPYs were pretty entertaining. I never watch Sportscenter anymore.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

About Yankees vs. Red Sox. While I do feel that their rivalry is overblown to some degree, you cannot deny that their rivalry has a recent history unlike any other (it is historically overblown - I would take Reds vs. Dodgers or Dodgers vs. Giants historically). But, they have a bunch of things that no one else does.
    -Their fans participate in the games to a degree that no other rivalry can match in baseball. Every pitch in these games matters. The pressure felt in the stadium is palpable, even on camera.`
    -Aaron F. Boone
    -Pedro vs. Zimm.
    -2004 comeback

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I agree. I like the more complex games too like bridge and even spades. But Euchre is quicker, and a fun to play with family.

Euchre is to wiffle ball as bridge is to baseball. All good times.
    I like to play Euchre (we even had a Euchre tournament as a fundraising event for my brother who is running for judge), but I relearned Canasta when I became engaged to my wife. The only time my mother-in-law ever cursed at me was during a canasta game (she said "crap" - I fell out of my chair!). Whenever we head out to Missouri, we play loads of canasta games. It's a little know game anymore, but rivaled bridge in the 50's.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    About Yankees vs. Red Sox. While I do feel that their rivalry is overblown to some degree, you cannot deny that their rivalry has a recent history unlike any other (it is historically overblown - I would take Reds vs. Dodgers or Dodgers vs. Giants historically). But, they have a bunch of things that no one else does.
    -Their fans participate in the games to a degree that no other rivalry can match in baseball. Every pitch in these games matters. The pressure felt in the stadium is palpable, even on camera.`
    -Aaron F. Boone
    -Pedro vs. Zimm.
    -2004 comeback
    There isn't anything overrated about the Yankees vs. Red Sox. We could only dream about that as Reds fans. I couldn't wait for the Reds whipping to be over last night so I could watch my DVR'd Yanks game. Beckett vs. Joba.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The Stones? Seriously?
    Yep. The World's Greatest Living Rock Band? Can't agree. I had a discussion with a friend recently about that title and he strongly disagreed as well. "First off," he said, "they're not alive..."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Lobster? Seriously?
    It just doesn't appeal to me. I LOVE seafood but lobster just doesn't register with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    There isn't anything overrated about the Yankees vs. Red Sox. We could only dream about that as Reds fans. I couldn't wait for the Reds whipping to be over last night so I could watch my DVR'd Yanks game. Beckett vs. Joba.
    I agree, they've won 6 out of the last 12 World Series (and lost two of them), their ballparks are characters on their own, and their games are always meaningful. They play on a different planet than the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Yep. The World's Greatest Living Rock Band? Can't agree. I had a discussion with a friend recently about that title and he strongly disagreed as well. "First off," he said, "they're not alive..."

I too feel the Stones are very overrated, when was their last good album? Last good song? Live they are terrible.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Improbus,
    Your list mostly made me chuckle, but I was perplexed by your categorization of wine as "overrated". There are thousands of different wines made from thousands of different grapes. There certainly are differing opinions on specific wines and the categorizations of wine by wine publications or wine critics, but I have honestly never heard of all wine being called overrated. Could you elaborate on what you mean?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Improbus,
    Your list mostly made me chuckle, but I was perplexed by your categorization of wine as "overrated". There are thousands of different wines made from thousands of different grapes. There certainly are differing opinions on specific wines and the categorizations of wine by wine publications or wine critics, but I have honestly never heard of all wine being called overrated. Could you elaborate on what you mean?
    Nighttrain is overrated among the hobo train-jumping community.
    Stick to your guns.

Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

People thought it was a big deal that they released an album online.

Well if you wait a bit, you'll be able to buy it at garage sales nationwide.
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. Sure, Radiohead doesn't have some cheesey chorus line in the middle of their songs like some bands (Backstreet boys, are you f'n serious?) but that doesn't mean they're not an enjoyable band to listen to. Not to mention seeing them live will put any other band (with maybe the exception being The Band/Last Waltz) to shame.

I still cannot get over how ESPN purchased? Took over? Destroyed! Classic Sports Network....... bowling? Poker? what the heck is this?

No games that were not done by ESPN?

The arrogance of taking a great channel like that and saying we determine what is classic is... beyond even Kanye West arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Family Guy
    I'd have to say "new" Family Guy. As in it was fabulous before it was canceled. Since it came back it has been a complete rehash with unoriginal jokes. Going the way of the Simpsons. At least the Simpsons lasted a long while before going sour.

Has anyone mentioned Miley Cyrus? I don't get it at all.
    She has quite the man voice. Not as in singing voice, but talking. My sister was watching the show and I literally thought a man was talking. Not very attractive on a woman, let alone a child. As she ages, her popularity is going to plummet.

Turn Off Ads?