Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Volquez

Frustrating Volquez

This dude frustrated me last year and here is again frustrating me again this year. Too many pitches. Too many full counts. Too much nitpicking around the strike zone. Too many walks. He gets himself into trouble way too much. His second half last year was more indicative of what I expect this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frustrating Volquez

Why do we always insist on hating on our best players?

I'm not hating.

I've gone on record many times saying Cueto will end up being better than Volquez.

Volquez will be a serviceable pitcher for many years. He nitpicks, walks way too many hitters, and runs his pitch count way too high. He did it all of last year. That cannot be disputed. His first half was a bit lucky.

I'm just venting. Is that not allowed?

I said this last year at the start, even when he was doing well. EV is not a great SP. Really good, yes, but never is he going to be a real #1.

To many walks, to many fly balls. It is not like his career lows in HR per 9 and FB% is an expected occurrence.

His inability to get qick outs will lead to his shorter outings. Good, bad or indifferent, its the truth.

Lets get serious. The kid won 17 games with over 200 strikeouts for a team that finished a zillion games under .500. With all the stiffs that have pitched for the Reds over the years, we finally get a real gem and here people are complaining about him. Typicical redzoan.

On the other hand, what a miserable performance by Mike Lincoln tonight. I had hoped that his second year back from tommy John surgery we would see some improvement over last year but he was just throwing lollypops up there. Even Bryan Schneider was teeing off on him. It was batting practice.

I had hoped with Majewski, Fogg, and Belisle out of here, we might have a full compliment of major league pitchers for once, so Lincoln's effort tonight was really disappointing.

Yeah it was Volquez's fault when Gonzo booted that ball that gave up 3 runs.

Volquez pulled a Jack Armstrong in the first half. After the league scouted him, his second half was nowhere near as good.

Look, I'm glad we got Edison. Someone said in the gamethread that he doesn't trust his own stuff and once he gets ahead of hitters, he starts picking at the plate. I agree. I think he should trust his stuff more and go right at hitters. It's when he gets behind in the count and throws too many pitches that he gets into trouble. And the walks absolutely kill any pitcher and he is really bad at walking batters. Those 2 or 3 run innings could be cut to 1 run innings on hr's if he didn't put men on base.

I hope he learns from his mistakes and over time throws more efficiently.

I'm just frustrated cause you can see it coming when he's playing with fire.

It was frustrating. Right after that 1st inning walk, I sensed trouble. You simply have to go after hitters and get them out. 2 out walks are infuriating, especially when the next batter is Carlos Delgado.

Never seen a guy with such good stuff take an 0-2 and turn it into a walk.

I think he got flustered after he turned his ankle, and felt he had to compensate by trying to throwing his fastball through a brick wall. His slider was not effective, and he couldn't adjust.

Still, he's young and will hopefully learn how to battle better and not lose his head.

I thought it was the right thing to do to make him finish that 4th inning do or die, but it didn't help him extend that into the rest of the game.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Yeah it was Volquez's fault when Gonzo booted that ball that gave up 3 runs.
    good post

Volquez was avg. or better today - the defense let him down. We HAVE to get that rectified before long, or we're in for a lot of torment this go 'round
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Yea Id be really frustrated if we got another year of Volquez like we got last year. Probably time to trade him if we can even get someone for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yea Id be really frustrated if we got another year of Volquez like we got last year. Probably time to trade him if we can even get someone for him.
    Wow. A young, stud pitcher with possible top-of-the-rotation stuff. Yeah, lets trade him while he's nice and cheap.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Volquez made a huge step this year, now he needs to make a smaller step to trusting his stuff more.

Bleeds is right; the only time he truly attaked ahead in the count was the K of Wright. He tried to spot his changeup today too much. He threw only one solid change to Delgado for the K.

That's a tough lineup. My guess is: if we were playing the Pirates he would have mowed down those guys Soto style. However, he tries to get too cute to get a K sometimes. He needs to work on hitting his spots and letting balls be hit into play. If more balls were put into play, the lower the pitch count, and the better chance he rides into the 6th and 7th innings with minimal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    Wow. A young, stud pitcher with possible top-of-the-rotation stuff. Yeah, lets trade him while he's nice and cheap.
    Yea who needs 200 innings of top 10 ERA, top 2 in K's and a pitcher on a losing team being 2nd in the league in wins.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I'm not hating.

I've gone on record many times saying Cueto will end up being better than Volquez.

Volquez will be a serviceable pitcher for many years. He nitpicks, walks way too many hitters, and runs his pitch count way too high. He did it all of last year. That cannot be disputed. His first half was a bit lucky.

I'm just venting. Is that not allowed?
    I think Cueto will be better then Volquez this year. I think in the long run Homer Bailey will also. I still think Volquez has what it takes to help us be a force; it just hurts when you think about the guy we traded to get him.... :thumbdown

10 years from now we will still be mentioning that in the same breath as the Frank Robinson trade.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?