Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Re: Will Drew Stubbs be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Dusty gets unfairly criticized in this instance. He's played the young guys, often at the expense of the older veterans. He makes certain they're in winnable situations for the most part and tries to keep as much pressure off of them as he can.

If Stubbs is hitting like this in August, he's probably going to start for the big club.
    Its not even about old or young in this case. I just expect Dusty to make his decisions on something like looks and what he perceives to be true instead of what actually is true.

I expect him to think Stubbs is too tall to be his CF or think that a tall guy wont be that fast.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its not even about old or young in this case. I just expect Dusty to make his decisions on something like looks and what he perceives to be true instead of what actually is true.

I expect him to think Stubbs is too tall to be his CF or think that a tall guy wont be that fast.
    Never mind the fact that most quick, go-get 'em guys are smaller and that a tall, lanky speed guy is the exception. It is simply Dusty's prejudice toward a certain body type for a position.

Personally I think good centerfielders are becoming harder to come by at the major league level. If you look at all the big league clubs there are only a handful that I would label as legit. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda, with Lincecum but if Stubbs can last 5-10 years as an everyday centerfielder I'll take the pick.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Personally I think good centerfielders are becoming harder to come by at the major league level. If you look at all the big league clubs there are only a handful that I would label as legit. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda, with Lincecum but if Stubbs can last 5-10 years as an everyday centerfielder I'll take the pick.
    I might've posted this before but here's an interesting take on a recent surge of CF talent. Hopefully Stubbs will be able to be a part of this list soon.

The Reds have two center field prospects who are playing well in the upper minors right now. Drew Stubbs is hitting .310/.400/.442 - .842 OPS with 15 stolen bases in 19 attempts in Triple-A. Down in Double-A, Chris Heisey is hitting .358/.444/.574 - 1.018 OPS with nine stolen bases in 10 attempts. Both guys are very good defenders too. My hope is one of them can push Willy Taveras to the bench by late this season.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Reds have two center field prospects who are playing well in the upper minors right now. Drew Stubbs is hitting .310/.400/.442 - .842 OPS with 15 stolen bases in 19 attempts in Triple-A. Down in Double-A, Chris Heisey is hitting .358/.444/.574 - 1.018 OPS with nine stolen bases in 10 attempts. Both guys are very good defenders too. My hope is one of them can push Willy Taveras to the bench by late this season.
    Reds management doesn't move that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My hope is one of them can push Willy Taveras to the bench by late NEXT season.
    fixed that for ya'. This is the Reds we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    fixed that for ya'. This is the Reds we are talking about.
    Yep. I think at best he gets traded after this season to make room for one of those two. But even that is highly unlikely in my opinion.

Maybe the Reds try to sell high on Willy if he keeps a decent OBP and can start snagging some more bags :o

Maybe the Reds try to sell high on Willy if he keeps a decent OBP and can start snagging some more bags :o
    Would they "sell" him at the deadline if they are still in the race? I seriously doubt it. Maybe this winter but I doubt it even then. I don't know about selling high anyway. His OBP now is right around his career norm.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Would they "sell" him at the deadline if they are still in the race? I seriously doubt it. Maybe this winter but I doubt it even then. I don't know about selling high anyway. His OBP now is right around his career norm.
    Yea well his career norm wasnt the thing that got him DFA'd or what ever after last season.

His career norm might have some value somewhere to someone.

Anyways I think one thing about Stubbs that is pretty amazing is that hes consistantly had a pretty good OBP. Its never been BA driven which is a good sign.

Yea well his career norm wasnt the thing that got him DFA'd or what ever after last season.

His career norm might have some value somewhere to someone.
    Probably so. It obviously had value to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Wasn't Jeff Bagwell also a "doubles hitter" in the minors? From what everyone else has said on this thread, I'm pretty confident that Stubbs has the potential to at least develop 15-20 HR power in the majors. With plus fielding and OBP from a CF, that's quite a set of skills.
    How did Bagwell suddenly develop into a premier power hitter? I'm sure there is some explanation, I just can't imagine what it is.

I think Walt can move Taveras if he's ready to promote. For the record, I would keep Wily out there this year. But during the offseason, I would move him. His contract isn't that expensive and you can definitely dump him to another team.

Turn Off Ads?