Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Reds catching 2013 and after

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds catching 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    How about those pitchers that prefer the comfort of pitching to one catcher over the other?

Shouldn't that weigh pretty heavily in this discussion?
    No, it shouldn't. When pitchers trade teams they don't take their catchers with them. Yet they perform just as expected in most scenarios.

And how do they know who they are comfortable with. Mesoraco hasn't caught Cueto, Latos or Arroyo enough to have a clue how they would feel with him.

2. Likes:

redsfandan (03-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I disagree completely on this one. It's the catcher that suggests the pitches to the pitcher. The ability to have that communication is vital to successful pitchers.

By having the same catcher, they learn each other's little quirks like knowing when to block a curveball in the dirt. I think it helps continuity and creates a routine. Every pitcher I heard speak emphasizes the importance of a routine when starting. Changing the catcher could disrupt this and lead to mistakes like passed balls or pitch select disagreements.
    They can talk all they want. When they change teams or a catcher goes down, they somehow figure out a way to pitch exactly as expected almost without fail.

I don't care who Mes catches. But the Reds have to be flexible enough to make sure he doesn't sit on the bench for long stretches.

This kid has to play. If he's in the bigs, then he plays in the bigs. As much as possible.

6. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-22-2013),redsfandan (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, it shouldn't. When pitchers trade teams they don't take their catchers with them. Yet they perform just as expected in most scenarios.

And how do they know who they are comfortable with. Mesoraco hasn't caught Cueto, Latos or Arroyo enough to have a clue how they would feel with him.
    I completely disagree with your opinion here.

Pitchers are vital to team success. I'm willing to live with some spotty playing time for Mesoraco if it means the pitchers are happy with who is catching them.

Pitching is, after all, 50% of the game.

Pitchers are vital to team success. I'm willing to live with some spotty playing time for Mesoraco if it means the pitchers are happy with who is catching them.

I think you are giving entirely too much credit to a pitchers ability to the guy who catches the ball when he throws it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I disagree completely on this one. It's the catcher that suggests the pitches to the pitcher. The ability to have that communication is vital to successful pitchers.

Dusty and Price are actually calling the game from the bench in most cases.

Ok then. Put up or shut up time.

If Mes and Hanigan each caught the Reds staff for one full season. How much better would the staffs ERA be with Hanigan?

If pitching is 50% of the game and hitting is 50% of the game, and defense is 50% of the game and team speed is 50% of the game and team chemistry is 50% of the game and Adam Dunn's chair is 50% of the game and Marty is 50% of the game, that's like 350% of a game.

That's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If pitching is 50% of the game and hitting is 50% of the game, and defense is 50% of the game and team speed is 50% of the game and team chemistry is 50% of the game and Adam Dunn's chair is 50% of the game and Marty is 50% of the game, that's like 350% of a game.

That's a lot.
    According to Yogi, 90% of the game is mental, too.

I think you are giving entirely too much credit to a pitchers ability to the guy who catches the ball when he throws it.
    No, I'm giving the pitcher as much comfort as I can, knowing that he's largely the reason why my team will win that particular game.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Ok then. Put up or shut up time.

If Mes and Hanigan each caught the Reds staff for one full season. How much better would the staffs ERA be with Hanigan?
    It isn't going to happen, so there is no way to try and confirm something one way or the other.

Last year, of the relievers on the team, more of them had a better ERA with Mesoraco than with Hanigan. If you remove Chapman from the situation, since Hanigan had a much larger portion of time catching him than Mesoraco, the rest of the bullpen had a better strikeout rate and walk rate with Mesoraco. But somehow, the starters would just all fall apart with him behind the plate.

So did Greg Maddox

16. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So did Greg Maddox
    But Smoltz and Glavine were fine with Lopez.

It isn't going to happen, so there is no way to try and confirm something one way or the other.

Last year, of the relievers on the team, more of them had a better ERA with Mesoraco than with Hanigan. If you remove Chapman from the situation, since Hanigan had a much larger portion of time catching him than Mesoraco, the rest of the bullpen had a better strikeout rate and walk rate with Mesoraco. But somehow, the starters would just all fall apart with him behind the plate.
    Of course. But the answer would give some perspective to the opinion that pitchers will do better with Hanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    But Smoltz and Glavine were fine with Lopez.
    They liked his smile

Turn Off Ads?