Turn Off Ads?

Thread: GCL question

GCL question

Something I've wondered about the GCL is that these kids play there games around, what 11:00 am. After the games, what do they do for the remainder of the day, do drills. Do they spend all there time at the field?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: GCL question

Quote Originally Posted by BigREDSfaninKY View Post
    Something I've wondered about the GCL is that these kids play there games around, what 11:00 am. After the games, what do they do for the remainder of the day, do drills. Do they spend all there time at the field?
    I don't know. (completely edited out an answer that was totally wrong!)

The Gulf Coast League is a minor league baseball league which operates in Florida. It is a Rookie League, with a season running from mid-June to late August. The season is 60 games long and teams in the league are divided into three divisions, East, North and South. After the regular season the division champion with the best record gets a bye into the best-of-3 championship. The two other division champions play a single game to determine who will move on to the championship series.

GCL teams generally play at the minor league spring training complexes of their parent major league clubs, and are uniformly owned by those parent clubs. Their games are usually played in the afternoon, for very few (if any) spectators. GCL games are perhaps the least competitive of all minor league games, as most of the players were just drafted in that year's entry draft (2-3 weeks before the season's start) and are there to develop skills under their employer's tutelage rather than (necessarily) to win games or entertain fans.

GCL teams are not referred to by their home city, but simply by their parent club's name, and the prefix "GCL" or "Gulf Coast" if necessary to differentiate between them and another club sharing the nickname. Some of these teams share stadiums with their club's High-A affiliate in the Florida State League, which can lead to confusion, as FSL teams do use the city name (e.g. the Vero Beach Dodgers, three levels up from the GCL Dodgers).
    This Wikipedia entry says they play their games in the afternoon.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    This Wikipedia entry says they play their games in the afternoon.

Many times the games start at noon Eastern time to avoid the afternoon summer heat.

I've been there (done that) and games were noon or 1. And I recall correctly, players practiced first, and then played game.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?