Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Limping into the playoffs

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Limping into the playoffs

Another playoff year, another weak offense.

I hope Walt and Bob address the offense this offseason. I see another quick exit from the playoffs. Other than BP and Votto, this offense has serious holes in it.

As always. We shall see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Limping into the playoffs

Have we seen a thread on this topic before?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

17-11 since 8/14 is considered limping?

I think I am going to limp back to bed on that one.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Another playoff year, another weak offense.

I hope Walt and Bob address the offense this offseason. I see another quick exit from the playoffs. Other than BP and Votto, this offense has serious holes in it.

As always. We shall see.
    Ive been alive for the Reds to make the playoffs four times. One was in 1990, when I was 3, another was in 1995, when I was 8 and can hardly remember them even playing in the postseason.

In 2010, the last time they made the playoffs, they had the most runs scored in the NL. So that wasn't exactly a weak offense, one-game-sample-size-no-hitter aside.

This year, they are 11 games ahead in their division with a record that has been consistently climbing and is now right around 30 games over .500. The whole year, pitching has been the MO.

I was alive for and remember quite well the "strong offense" years. They went hand-in-hand with mountains of losses.

I don't understand why sweeping the Pirates and then getting shut out constitutes a weak offense.

I hope the Reds somehow recreate the 1975 team again in the offseason too, but I am pretty happy with a team that doesn't make me pay attention to football starting in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The reality is this: they don't look good. The offense is getting dominated by weak pitching. 3 hits vs. a rookie pitcher whose ERA was 6.00?

I'm worried. Ever since JV has returned to the lineup, the Reds have forgotten how to hit. It has to improve or it will be a quick exit from the postseason. The teams they'll be playing there ain't the Marlins and the Astros.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

1990 team was 14-15 in September. Baseball history is filled with teams cruising to a title win, who then crush it in the playoffs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

If this is limping I hope the club limps every year.

Is it "next season" yet?

This thread is silly. A four game winning streak from now, people will be wondering if they're peaking too early.

It's just pre post season jitters. It will pass.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    If this is limping I hope the club limps every year.
    Troof.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    This thread is silly. A four game winning streak from now, people will be wondering if they're peaking too early.
    I think you are being very charitable simply calling this thread silly.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I think you are being very charitable simply calling this thread silly.
    Amen!

Guys, guys, guys......

Don't you see, Vottomatic can't lose on this one.

On the 40 percent chance or so that the Reds lose the first round, he can say "I knew it".

And if the Reds win, he will get to whoop it up with the rest of us.

He mentioned in a thread a few weeks back bringing up old posts is trolling, so I will repeat what was said earlier here in the present. This thread is silly.

As I said. We shall see.

If they reach the postseason and continue to forget how to hit, this thread will have tons of merit.

The pitching is outstanding. But they could easily lose all games in the postseason simply because they couldn't score any runs. The offense in 2010 was alot better than this year.

We shall see, but I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Guys, guys, guys......

Don't you see, Vottomatic can't lose on this one.

On the 40 percent chance or so that the Reds lose the first round, he can say "I knew it".

And if the Reds win, he will get to whoop it up with the rest of us.

He mentioned in a thread a few weeks back bringing up old posts is trolling, so I will repeat what was said earlier here in the present. This thread is silly.
    Well, I posted this out of general concern about the offense.

And people don't want to hear it, but these headscratching lineups are a concern too.

In the postseason, feel free to dredge this thread back up and bash me. Sure, if they do well, I'll play the fool. But it's not the reason I posted it.

Turn Off Ads?