Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Maybe the minor league forum bashers of Dirt will lighten up, btw we both wanted Lincecum but smiled and wished Stubbs well.
    Eh, I wanted nothing to do with Lincecum either, just wanted 'anyone but Stubbs' on draft day. Still, after seeing him play, I changed my tune a little bit and became more and more a believer. As for the bashing.... doesn't really matter to me. It just cracks me up when someone brings something up that I said to 'show me' when I don't think I have ever done that because it just doesn't enhance any conversation at all and 99.9% of the time, has nothing to do with the point being talked about at the time. Stubbs right now is doing a little worse than I predicted at the start of the year (had him at .345 OBP/.425 SLG at the start of the year), but is well within line for it. Good year for him, hopefully he can keep it going as he moves forward. The guy has his warts as a player, but even with those, he can be a real good player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll say one thing, the power is LEGIT. I couldn't post in some of those old Stubbs debates on the ORG because they took place before I was called up, but I remember his power potential was certainly a polarizing topic.

After watching him this year, I'm convinced without a doubt. He may never reach it, but I think he's got 30 homer potential. When he gets a ball good, my goodness, does it ever travel. He hits majestic home runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Stubbs posts a 30 HR/30 SB season or two in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eh, I wanted nothing to do with Lincecum either, just wanted 'anyone but Stubbs' on draft day. Still, after seeing him play, I changed my tune a little bit and became more and more a believer. As for the bashing.... doesn't really matter to me. It just cracks me up when someone brings something up that I said to 'show me' when I don't think I have ever done that because it just doesn't enhance any conversation at all and 99.9% of the time, has nothing to do with the point being talked about at the time. Stubbs right now is doing a little worse than I predicted at the start of the year (had him at .345 OBP/.425 SLG at the start of the year), but is well within line for it. Good year for him, hopefully he can keep it going as he moves forward. The guy has his warts as a player, but even with those, he can be a real good player.
    I wanted pitching whether it was Scherzer, Lincecum, Drabek or aby other top pitcher. Stubbs scared the hell out of me. If he continues to improve then the pick will obviously end up being a good one. But he needs to continue to improve, guys with his offensive profile scare me a bit. Not saying that he cannot continue to produce, but he could easily go south as well.'

The pick that really got me bent was the Watson pick. Ugh.

Dude. You're NEVER allowed to change your mind as more data comes in or simply because you've learned alot over some period of time. From here on out, you must begin every post with a mea culpa.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nobody argued that Stubbs wouldn't make it more than me. I became convinced his power would never develop due to approach, not tools. And I'm thrilled that he seems to be maturing as a player. He's very streaky, but the defense (which i never argued against) is always there.

As an aside, it really is ok to disagree about players. Stubbs, Bailey, Cueto, Heisey. We all have opinions, and just because we disagree doesn't mean we don't root for them everyday.

Unless of course the name on the back is Taveras. Kidding.

mostly.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

That homerun in the first tonite makes Stubbs a 20/20 player in his first full season in the major leagues.

Just a delightful year from him. His OPS over. 750 for the year, at least through the first at-bat tonight.

Bruce and Stubbs, Stubbs and Bruce. I like that combo.

HR #20 and he went the other way to do it.

20/20 for the year. Impressive rookie campaign!

Has any Reds player gone 20/20 in the first full season as a Red? I know he's not technically a rookie because he had too many ABs last year, but a 20/20 campaign in your first full season is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Bruce and Stubbs, Stubbs and Bruce. I like that combo.

HR #20 and he went the other way to do it.

20/20 for the year. Impressive rookie campaign!
    Finkle & Einhorn, Einhorn & Finkle. In it together? How? Why?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Finkle & Einhorn, Einhorn & Finkle. In it together? How? Why?
    Finkle IS Einhorn! Einhorn IS Finkle!! Einhorn is a MAN!

....Einhorn is a.... MAN!?!?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Has any Reds player gone 20/20 in the first full season as a Red? I know he's not technically a rookie because he had too many ABs last year, but a 20/20 campaign in your first full season is pretty awesome.
    Vada Pinson did it age 20. Bobby Tolan did it in his first full season, but he has mutliple partial seasons before then. Eric Davis did it in his first full season, but had two partial seasons before that.

Vada Pinson did it age 20. Bobby Tolan did it in his first full season, but he has mutliple partial seasons before then. Eric Davis did it in his first full season, but had two partial seasons before that.
    That's some pretty decent company to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Finkle IS Einhorn! Einhorn IS Finkle!! Einhorn is a MAN!

....Einhorn is a.... MAN!?!?

if the Lieutenant is indeed a woman, as she claims to be... then, my friend, she is suffering from the worst case of hemorrhoids I have *ever* seen! [turns Lois around to reveal a bulge on her behind] *That's* why Roger Podacter is dead! He found Captain Winkie!"
    [all the men in the vicinity start throwing up because Einhorn has kissed them]
    Hilarious movie!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

wow, that is some elite company right there. only 3 other guys, that's no joke.

Turn Off Ads?