Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Come back and talk to me in about a year.
    I think there was a reason Green Bay selected another running back a round or two after taking Lacy. I loved watching Lacy run the ball, even if his stats weren't mind blowing, seemed like he was doing something special every time he touched the rock. However, the whispers were that his injuries scared off a lot of teams and were the reason Green Bay selected another RB shortl after taking Lacy as a hedge against his injuries.

But I'm not sure that even matters. I think Gio fits what THIS Bengals team needs more than Lacy. Gio has an extra gear that Lacy doesn't have. He wont break tackles and pick up the tough yards as easily (though he's far better than I would have thought) but BJGE is great in short yardage situations, always grinding his feet picking up an extra yard or two after initial contact. Gio is better out of the backfield in the recieving department, he gives this offense another dimension that Lacy wouldn't have brought to the table. On that TD reception, Lacy probably gets shoved out of bounce by the safety, Gio ran by the safety (and linebacker) for an untouched TD.

I don't think it matters much who has the better overall career, its a matter of who fit the Bengals offensive holes over the next 2-4 seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It should be a good game, but I give the Bengals at least as much of a shot as winning this week as Green Bay. The Packers looked unstoppable last week, but that may be because they were playing a defense that can’t stop anybody. The Packers defense isn’t much better (400 yards to Kaepernick, 300 to Griffin plus a 100-yard rusher in Morris).

I think it will come down to turnovers just like the first two games (Week 1- 3 giveaways, 1 takeaway=loss; Week 2- 0 giveaways, 2 takeaways=win), especially since that has been the Packers primary mode of stopping opposing offenses in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Come back and talk to me in about a year.
    A year won't change what these guys are. Lacy can't do what Gio did last night and Gio can't be the big, bruising back that takes 25 carries a day. The Bengals already had the latter in the Law Firm thus it was Gio that met their needs. Lacy may be the back that GB needed but not the Bengals. Truth is we haven't had this sort of back in a generation (James Brooks). This sort of guy is invaluable to a West Coast offense

5. Likes:

remdog (09-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    A year won't change what these guys are. Lacy can't do what Gio did last night and Gio can't be the big, bruising back that takes 25 carries a day. The Bengals already had the latter in the Law Firm thus it was Gio that met their needs. Lacy may be the back that GB needed but not the Bengals. Truth is we haven't had this sort of back in a generation (James Brooks). This sort of guy is invaluable to a West Coast offense
    Man did he remind me of Brooks when he accelerated on that receiving touchdown. He took off.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Man did he remind me of Brooks when he accelerated on that receiving touchdown. He took off.
    I, like you, am old enough to remember Brooks but my more recent memory is a little clearer and I thought he looked like Darren Sproles

Packers are two point favorites. I'm a big home field advantage guy but Rodgers always plays well on the road and he loves to play on the artificial surface. So I don't think the venue will make that big a difference. This could be a good Packer team but they have really missed safety Morgan Burnett. Key probably is if Packer's good defensive line can out play Cincy's good offensive line. If Pack scores early and forces Cincy to try to catch up, Pack wins. But if Cincy's offfensive line gains control, GB is in trouble.

I'll take Pack to cover. ARod and his receivers are too good.

As a Bengal fan we sure don't want a shoot out. We'll need to establish the running game and try to pressure A Rodgers into a mistake or two. I can see why the Pack are favorites. This isn't a game we're "supposed to win" like last night. I'm sure GB will be favored in all their games vs AFC North opponents

Gio!

Hey Bengals fans, I hope you all are enjoying Gio! I am a huge UNC fan and got to know him a lil bit while he was in school here so happy to see him starting off well. He is a good player, but a is also a great guy.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I, like you, am old enough to remember Brooks but my more recent memory is a little clearer and I thought he looked like Darren Sproles
    Unfortunately, there's not a ton of video footage of Brooks out there.

Go to the :45 mark in this video. It gives a good feel for Brooks' ability to accelerate (and make people look silly):

Now flip to the :08 mark in this video of Bernard. He also makes people look silly:

I think Brooks could take a hit with the best of them as a speed guy. So far, Bernard has impressed me in this area, but I'm still labeling it TBD.

Did anyone else think Roethlisberger suddenly looks really old? He doesn't move nearly as well as he used to. I can see the end of the Big Ben Era coming quickly in Pittsburgh.

13. Likes:

Joseph (09-17-2013)

Maybe it's too early to say this but I don't think so...

I think a strength of this team is its short yardage offense. That O-line along with our TEs, whatever FB they're using plus Lawfirm or Gio has been getting the job done throughout the preseason and first two games of the regular season. That is an awfully nice skill for a team to have that plays in the AFC North. Keep this skill in mind as we debate whether to go for it on 4th downs or what to run on 3rd downs this year

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Unfortunately, there's not a ton of video footage of Brooks out there.
    Good work digging that up!

Actually what made James Brooks so special was that he had three Pro Bowl level skills: running, catching and blocking (his least appeciated) . He was a fierce blocker on blitz pickup. Too bad he was a deadbeat Dad off the field and is another example of an NFL player who was broke a few yrs after leaving the league

Brooks was a special player fast and strong. He would lift with the lineman because he was so strong and powerful. Rumor has it he could bench 675lbs.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

As a Bengal fan we sure don't want a shoot out. We'll need to establish the running game and try to pressure A Rodgers into a mistake or two.
    Putting pressure on the QB is never a bad idea but forget about Rodgers making mistakes. Doesn't happen too often. Packers have not lost a game in a long time where the opposition scored less than 30 points. (the replacement ref game wasn't really a loss.). Cincy will have to win this with their offense.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Brooks was a special player fast and strong. He would lift with the lineman because he was so strong and powerful. Rumor has it he could bench 675lbs.
    I don't doubt that for a minute. I would not have wanted to tackle him, and I'd imagine a lot of guys felt the same way.

Turn Off Ads?