Thread: Brady or Manning?

Brady or Manning?

Who is better, Manning or Brady?

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal..._choose_sides/

A night to choose sides
    Comparisons endless for incomparable QBs
    By Dan Shaughnessy
    Globe Columnist / November 15, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - You are a Tom Brady Guy or you are a Peyton Manning Guy. There is nothing in between.

The Patriots play the Colts tonight in the marquee matchup of the NFL season. It’s the league’s annual sweeps spectacular; 33.8 million watched the 2007 game, which happens to be the only one of the last five won by the Patriots. Billions of words have been spilled regarding the history and relative strengths and weaknesses of the Pats and Ponies.

But any way you carve it, this game comes down to Brady and Manning. They are the top two players in America’s most popular sport. They are at the peaks of their respective careers. And they fight for the same prize every year.

Last Tuesday, Brady was reminded that he and Manning are often compared to Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

“Which one am I?’’ asked Tom. “Bird or Magic?’’

On the field, Brady is Bird and Manning is Magic.

Like Bird, Brady is a great teammate. He makes those around him better. He is selfless. He is a worker. His game gets better when the conditions get worse. There was doubt about his ability to succeed in the pro game. He’s clutch. He wants the ball in his hands at the end of the game. Numbers in blowouts don’t interest him that much. Just as Bird sat down when he had a chance to record a quadruple-double in Utah, Brady took a seat against Tennessee when he could have shattered some single-game records.

Manning, like Magic, came to the pros as the top pick in the country, anointed as the best before he put on a uniform. Under Manning, the Colts’ high-flying offense has been the NBA’s version of the old Laker Showtime. Manning’s skills are obvious and daz zling. Like Magic, he’s a little bit of a front-runner. He’s likes playing in perfect conditions. It brings out the best in him.

Brady and Manning are friends, just as Larry and Magic became friends. But there is fire in each to be better than the other. Peyton, for all of his records, has only one Super Bowl ring. Brady has three. Oh, and the single-season record for touchdown passes? Manning looked like he retired the trophy when he threw for 49 in 2004. In 2007, Brady came back with 50.

Brady-Manning and Bird-Magic are not the only matchups we’ve debated through the years. Boston sports is ever-blessed.

Remember Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain? Wilt had the eye-popping numbers, but Russell had the rings.

Peyton Manning is Wilt Chamberlain. Tom Brady is Bill Russell. End of story.

The ancient Ted Williams-Joe DiMaggio discussion also applies. Unfortunately, Boston got the wrong guy in the battle of baseball gods.

Brady is Joe DiMaggio. Grace under pressure. Brady wins championships. He never does anything awkward. Chicks dig him and guys want to be him. He’s ever-cool on the ballfield. He’s not afraid to marry someone more famous than himself. Joe D had Marilyn. Tom has Gisele. If football had anything resembling a hitting streak, Tom Brady would hit in 56 consecutive games.

Manning is Ted Williams. Ted was the greatest hitter who ever lived. Peyton may be the greatest passer who ever lived. His skills are obvious. He is an offensive machine, spectacular to watch. But winning championships is another story. Ted never won any. Manning has one. Manning is jealous of Tom’s rings just as Ted envied Joe D getting to the World Series every year.

Drunken owners of the Red Sox and Yankees almost swapped legends one night in New York. It would have settled a lot of arguments. Williams would have hit a lot more home runs playing at Yankee Stadium and Joe D could have padded his numbers at Fenway. Wonder if the fates of the teams would have been different.

It certainly seems safe to say that Manning would have won more than one Super Bowl if he’d spent the last 10 years in Foxborough under Bill Belichick.

Outside the sports arena, Brady vs. Manning works well as a Ginger-Mary Ann Game:

Brady is Mary Ann, Manning is Ginger.

Brady is Newman, Manning is Redford.

Brady is Harvard, Manning is Yale.

Brady is Avis, Manning is Hertz.

Brady is John, Manning is Paul.

Brady is real grass, Manning is turf.

Brady is dogs, Manning is cats.

Brady is the quarterback of the New England Patriots. Manning is the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts. They play against one another just about this time every year - usually again in January.

And you have to choose. You are either a Brady Guy or a Manning Guy.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com.

© Copyright 2009 Globe Newspaper Company.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brady or Manning?

Manning with out doubt from my point of view.

Mannings the better QB, Brady has had the better team most of the time. Not exactly a system QB, but he's got an element of that in him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Manning in a run away. If you phrased the question to ask which QB you'd rather have on your team, I doubt very many outside of New England would choose Brady.

Palmer :

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Palmer :
    That was my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Palmer :
    Are you serious? Carson is a nice quarterback but he does not even belong in the conversation with Brady and Manning. 2005 Carson maybe but not 2009 Carson.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The real question for Bengals fans should be: do you root for the Colts to put the Bengals in line for the #2 seed, or do you get ambitious enough to root for the Pats to give the Bengals a shot at the #1 seed?

Oh, and if it's not too late, put on Football Night in America. They're pretty well equipped to talk about this matchup with Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy.
    Last edited by blumj; 11-15-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'd like to see the numbers Manning could put up throwing to Moss. Brady doesn't much have to worry about picks if he's throwing near Moss. That TD pass he just threw to Moss was in the air forever.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'd like to see the numbers Manning could put up throwing to Moss. Brady doesn't much have to worry about picks if he's throwing near Moss. That TD pass he just threw to Moss was in the air forever.
    I was at Marshall when Moss was there. His QBs were Eric Kresser and Chad Pennington. Both were future NFL QBs, and obviously Chad has had a nice long career. They were both great players, but Moss made them both look like Hall of Famers. He is like a magnet that pulls in anything within 20 feet. I have seen that "lob to Randy" strategy more times than I can count, and it usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Before Moss, who was Brady throwing to? David Patton? Brady isn't a system QB. Peyton has also had great receivers, actually the entire time he's been in Indy, he's been surrounded by great offensive talent. You can't say the same for Brady.

Both are incredible quarterbacks. And I love Peyton Manning, he's one of my favorite players. But Tom Brady has the bling, and since I feel the two are so close talent wise, I'll take Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Are you serious? Carson is a nice quarterback but he does not even belong in the conversation with Brady and Manning. 2005 Carson maybe but not 2009 Carson.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Before Moss, who was Brady throwing to? David Patton? Brady isn't a system QB. Peyton has also had great receivers, actually the entire time he's been in Indy, he's been surrounded by great offensive talent. You can't say the same for Brady.

Both are incredible quarterbacks. And I love Peyton Manning, he's one of my favorite players. But Tom Brady has the bling, and since I feel the two are so close talent wise, I'll take Brady.
    Brady's always had a defense and usually a running game. The Colts have no running game and Marvin Harrison was pretty great but he never made up for mistakes the way that Moss does. I wonder how much we'd think the offensive talent of the Colts was great if they didn't have Manning.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Bill Belicheck lost this game tonight. Peyton got my vote. He isn't just the best qb in the league, he has a very good argument to be the best qb to ever play the game.

Anyone else see that Patriots assistant coach shove that cameraman down on the ground as he and Belicheck ran off the field?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?