Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basketball Rule Change Idea

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Basketball Rule Change Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I've never seen a delay of game penalty in order to improve the angle on a FG.
    Think college/HS with the wider hashmarks... a 19-yard field goal has a pretty severe angle. It softens up going back five yards.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Think college/HS with the wider hashmarks... a 19-yard field goal has a pretty severe angle. It softens up going back five yards.
    I understand. I've just never seen it happen.

I don't see where we get people racking their brains to come up with these examples get us anywhere. The act of purposing fouling in order to win a game happens just about every game and often. It's a basic strategy in basketball 101. In the case of the Mich game, it was disadvantageous that they hadn't fouled more as it meant that the other team was not forced to the FT line. This sets basketball apart from the other sports. If you want to draw equivalencies with football, let the other team decline the bonus FT shots

Other college hoops rules that should change:
    1) Take away two (or three) timeouts per team. Five is entirely too many. To me, timeouts are the main culprit in the lack of flow in the college game. Most of the time a team goes on a run, the opposing coach calls a timeout to kill it. It is an artificial change in the flow of a game that shouldn't happen.
    2) Tournament specific: Sync up the fixed timeouts with the timeouts taken by a team. In the NCAA tourney, there are certain times when a TV timeout becomes automatic (e.g. at the first dead ball after the 12:00 mark). But, if a team were to take a timeout close the the TV break, they play out both of them, often resulting in 10 minutes of commercials and 30 seconds of basketball. It is awful.
    3) Eliminate the timeout after a made basket: Once the ball goes through the cylinder, the team that made the basket shouldn't be able to call a timeout. They don't have possession of the ball. This really stifles flow.
    4) Fix the Block/Charge issue: A charge should be a rare event. Essentially, the defensive player should have to be set when the offensive player begins his drive for there to be a charge (not simply be set for one second). This would eliminate the slide-in charge call.
    5) Eliminate the possession arrow. Enough said.

Really, numbers 1-3 are designed to lessen the direct influence of coaches on the game. I want to watch athletes play, not coaches coach. I am fine with the coaches dictating the strategy of the team, but I don't want them to have an official role in the game (see the influence of hockey and soccer coaches for good examples). Everything that happens on the court (including the calling of timeouts) should have to be handled by the players.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Other college hoops rules that should change:
    1) Take away two (or three) timeouts per team. Five is entirely too many. To me, timeouts are the main culprit in the lack of flow in the college game. Most of the time a team goes on a run, the opposing coach calls a timeout to kill it. It is an artificial change in the flow of a game that shouldn't happen.
    I think each team should have a full time out and a 30 second time out each half. If you don't use them, you lose them. But it won't happen because the advertisers like all of the time outs for commercials.

2) Tournament specific: Sync up the fixed timeouts with the timeouts taken by a team. In the NCAA tourney, there are certain times when a TV timeout becomes automatic (e.g. at the first dead ball after the 12:00 mark). But, if a team were to take a timeout close the the TV break, they play out both of them, often resulting in 10 minutes of commercials and 30 seconds of basketball. It is awful.
    That's no different than the regular season but I agree that if a time out is called within a minute of a TV time out, there is no TV time out. Of course only 2 time outs per team per half would fix that.

3) Eliminate the timeout after a made basket: Once the ball goes through the cylinder, the team that made the basket shouldn't be able to call a timeout. They don't have possession of the ball. This really stifles flow.
    I don't think that's really a problem except during the last few minutes of the game. Again, fewer time outs would help fix that.

4) Fix the Block/Charge issue: A charge should be a rare event. Essentially, the defensive player should have to be set when the offensive player begins his drive for there to be a charge (not simply be set for one second). This would eliminate the slide-in charge call.
    I think this should be fixed but I'm not sure how. The semi-circle is a joke. Refs will call blocks 99% of the time when the player has a toenail in the semi-circle. I don't like to see players sliding under guys just to get a charge.

5) Eliminate the possession arrow. Enough said.
    I'm OK with that. Refs can't throw jump balls very well anyway so keep it as is.

Really, numbers 1-3 are designed to lessen the direct influence of coaches on the game. I want to watch athletes play, not coaches coach. I am fine with the coaches dictating the strategy of the team, but I don't want them to have an official role in the game (see the influence of hockey and soccer coaches for good examples). Everything that happens on the court (including the calling of timeouts) should have to be handled by the players.
    I can see that. I'd like to see a game where there's scoring but I don't want to see a parade to the free throw line. Perhaps lowering the shot clock to 30 seconds and make it 8 seconds to get the ball across half court would help the flow of the game. Perhaps a trapezoid lane like in international basketball would help to keep the middle from being clogged up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think each team should have a full time out and a 30 second time out each half. If you don't use them, you lose them. But it won't happen because the advertisers like all of the time outs for commercials.
    Only in a conversation about college athletics could a point seem so logical and yet preposterous at the same time. We wouldn't dare improve the game by cutting into the NCAA's and companies bottom lines.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Turn Off Ads?