Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Corey Patterson Out of the Leadoff Spot

Re: Corey Patterson Out of the Leadoff Spot

IF Dusty is going to sit Junior, Phillips, and Dunn at some point today, I wish he'd have done it all in the same game. At least give them a chance to win one game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I can understand why it may be unwise to start someone like Griffey twice in one day, but why can't guys like Dunn, Phillips, and Votto (I'm guessing Hatt will start game 2, but maybe I'm wrong) start both games?
    I think most managers avoid starting as many players as he can in both games of a DH these days.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I can understand why it may be unwise to start someone like Griffey twice in one day, but why can't guys like Dunn, Phillips, and Votto (I'm guessing Hatt will start game 2, but maybe I'm wrong) start both games?
    Phillips: bad calf
    Dunn: two lefties
    Votto: I would say two lefties, but Hatteberg is also left handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Pelfry is right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Pelfry is right handed.
    Whoops, I knew that. Not sure why I thought two left handers were going.

Well then, I have no idea. I guess the Phillips bad calf comment at least still holds water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Dusty is ...

When you are struggling for wins sitting down your best players is a sure way for it to continue

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I forgot about Phillips' calf, but Dunn hits lefties well: .240/.360/.478/.838 for his career. Not sure if Dusty knows that, though. :

I see no problem in sitting lefties against Johan, but sitting them against Pelfry is just stupid. The guys already got 2 days off, so the rest argument just doesn't fly with me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I only got to listen to parts of game 1; but wasn't Patterson back in the leadoff spot? He got on via a bunt in the first, and then got out over a base running blunder? I guess you really can't hold it against a guy who is in unfamiliar territory.

I turned it off in either the 3rd or 4th inning when he had Votto leading off bunting.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-10-2008 at 06:28 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Good thing it got rained out. If things progressed any further, he would have pinch hit Castro for Hamilton.

My lord, Patterson batting 3rd? A beat writer's gotta, GOTTA, ask about this. If I'm an editor, and my reporter doesn't ask about this, I'm getting a new reporter.

Patterson batting third is insanity.

Can anyone name the worst ever 3 hole hitter? Not saying Patterson's the worst, just saying I'd like to know if there is one worse.
    I don't know if he was worse than Patterson, but Dave Concepcion was pretty bad in 1983. (He had 87 starts in the third spot in the batting order that season.) I mean, we all love Davey, but he had no business in the #3 spot that year. For the season, Davey hit .233/.303/.280/.583 with 1 HR and 47 RBI's. He also had 22 2B's, 56 BB's, and 14 stolen bases in 23 attempts.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I only got to listen to parts of game 1; but wasn't Patterson back in the leadoff spot? He got on via a bunt in the first, and then a base running blunder?

I turned it off in either the 3rd or 4th inning when he had Votto leading off bunting.
    I'm not sure it was a blunder, but it was a negative play for the Reds. Santana picked him off--off course, Santana is good at doing that.

Also, i'm not sure that Votto wasn't bunting on his own. I doubt that Dusty told him to lead off the inning by attempting a bunt single. That's usually something that the hitter decides on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I don't know if he was worse than Patterson, but Dave Concepcion was pretty bad in 1983. (He had 87 starts in the third spot in the batting order that season.) I mean, we all love Davey, but he had no business in the #3 spot that year. For the season, Davey hit .233/.303/.280/.583 with 1 HR and 47 RBI's. He also had 22 2B's, 56 BB's, and 14 stolen bases in 23 attempts.

It was 1983. Not an awful lot to choose from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It was 1983. Not an awful lot to choose from there.
    True, but Dan Driessen (.277/.390/.420/.810, 12 HR's, 57 RBI's) would have been a much better choice.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    True, but Dan Driessen (.277/.390/.420/.810, 12 HR's, 57 RBI's) would have been a much better choice.
    Most probably.

I really love Dave Concepcion. I was 9 when he burst upon the scene, and he's always been a personal favorite of mine. I think he's a Hall of Famer; admittedly some disagree, with fair reason. (As long as Pee Wee Reese is there...) Oh, btw, I think Alan Trammell belongs in the Hall as well.

This article says he is the worst #3 hitter since 1957, and it's pretty convincing.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...rs-since-1957/
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?