Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Sports Pet Peeve

Major Sports Pet Peeve

I'm a big Brett Favre guy. Didn't care for him early in his career, but I've developed a great deal of respect for him over the years. Having said that, I really hate this trend in por sports to stop a game right in the middle of it and have some special ceremony once a milestone is hit, or a big record broken.

They stopped the GB - MN game for about 5 minutes and put some pre-recorded message from Dan Marino on the big screen when Favre broke the TD record.

I'm not sure when this started (I think it might have been Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak), but I wish it would stop.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Major Sports Pet Peeve

Prime Time Football - You think there's alot of dead time at a baseball game. Experience a Monday Night Football game live. There's more standing around on the field than at a construction sight.

Have they started play? Not yet.

I with you MWM. I find it appalling.
    School's out. What did you expect?

One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport. The clock just keeps running. No time to stop the game for some silly ceremony.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I agree that it happens too often these days. But it probably will continue until a well-regarded honoree or two refuses to let their ceremony stop a game.
    /r/reds

I actually thought it was pretty funny that Favre just ignored Marino's message, talking to teammates and looking at plays.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport. The clock just keeps running. No time to stop the game for some silly ceremony.
    Amen - Rugby does it as well - the clock just keeps rolling nonstop and they make up time at the end due to injuries or arguing and so on.

I've been watching the Rugby World Cup and it seems those matches (which should run the same amount of time as a regulation football game) clock in at 2-2.5 hrs tops.

I bought season tickets last year to the Cardinals because of the new stadium and didn't re-up again because I forgot how boring and incredibly long games are in person. Doing that every other weekend is just a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I actually thought it was pretty funny that Favre just ignored Marino's message, talking to teammates and looking at plays.
    I agree. Favre knew he still had virtually an entire game to play and he began to get ready for the Packers next possession.
    I'll confess that I kind of liked Ripken's going around the field after he set the consecutive games streak, and at the time I even enjoyed the ceremonies when McGwire hit no. 62 in 1998 with the Maris family in attendance (subsequent events have changed my perspective of the latter event), but I agree with MWM-these stop the game ceremonies are getting old.
    Actually, there is an earlier "stop-the-game" ceremony that I enjoyed at the time, although watching it now is sad: The September 1985 ceremony when Pete Rose hit 4192.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree. Favre knew he still had virtually an entire game to play and he began to get ready for the Packers next possession.
    I'll confess that I kind of liked Ripken's going around the field after he set the consecutive games streak, and at the time I even enjoyed the ceremonies when McGwire hit no. 62 in 1998 with the Maris family in attendance (subsequent events have changed my perspective of the latter event), but I agree with MWM-these stop the game ceremonies are getting old.
    Actually, there is an earlier "stop-the-game" ceremony that I enjoyed at the time, although watching it now is sad: The September 1985 ceremony when Pete Rose hit 4192.
    A more earlier one than that one was when Henry Aaron broke the Babe's record in 1974. That was a big one of course. I agree there is too much stoppage in play for lesser records.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    One of the reasons why soccer is such a great sport.
    Meh. Use your hands once in awhile, will ya?

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

A standing ovation, some tears and then play ball. Dumb ceremonies add nothing -- less is more. People just can't seem to get that.

Senor Votto

Terms like "Boot scootin and Holy Moses" also "That one will stay in the park" when it's a pop up to Short.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Meh. Use your hands once in awhile, will ya?

They really should review that rule, might speed up the game.

Boomer has jumped the shark big time. I can't stomach him in any format.

"Back, back, back, back"

bleech
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I've noticed this one way too many times and it drives me up a wall every time I hear it.

"The score is 34-10. That's a 24 point differential."

No, that's not a differential. Differential is a calculus term. You aren't doing calculus so stop trying to sound like you are when you really are doing subtraction. There's a term for the result of a subtraction operation, and it's called the difference. Get it right.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-05-2007 at 07:08 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?