Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Official Free Agency Thread

Re: Official Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I remember when he was coming out of Virginia for the draft. I think this has a chance to be a pretty solid move. He was stuck behind Calvin Pace and Karlos Dansby, which limited his playing time. Anways, at the very worst, we replaced Landon Johnson with pretty much the same player, with the exception that I believe Blackstock has more potential and room to grow.
    Blackstock really can't do anything but rush the passer. That's fine with me, but he's not Landon Johnson. He openly admits he has trouble in space. The problem is he complains about the 3-4 system and that system would seem to fit perfect with his own self described style. Hopefully he is a nickle rusher and a special teams guy.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Bengals and TE Ben Utecht have agreed to a deal, but have to wait to see if the Colts will match it.

Utecht signed
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    March 14, 2008

Updated: 4:15 p.m.

The Bengals are finally going to the pass-catching tight end but they may not know for a week if they've got a completion for the Colts' Ben Utecht.

His agent confirmed the club's agreement with the 6-6, 251-pound Utecht Friday, but as a restricted free agent he has to wait to see if Indianapolis matches the offer in the next seven days.

"We don't know if they're going to match it," Christopher Murray said Friday. "They've already got a big tight end (Dallas Clark) and they're tight against the cap."

The Colts, who just dropped a $40 million deal on Clark, figure to have about $7 million under the salary cap. Murray wouldn't divulge terms, but it's believed the average in a three-year deal is nearly $3 million per year with about the same cap hit.

Not only would the Bengals get a tight end that has exceeded the numbers of any tight end they've had this decade, but it would mean they don't have to give up a draft pick for compensation or use a draft pick next month to draft one.

Utecht, who turns 27 before the season, caught 31 balls last year and 37 in 2006 and would form a formidable 1-2 combo with Reggie Kelly. Kelly, a blocking ace, has been the starter the last five seasons in which his best receiving years have been the last two with 21 in 2006 and 20 last season.

The Bengals haven't had a 30-catch season from a tight end since Tony McGee had 34 in 1997. While starting 13 games as the Colts' in-line blocking tight end this past season, Utecht also had a touchdown.

Christopher Murray, Utecht's agent, said last week that his client had been drawn to Cincinnati in large measure because of the presence of quarterback Carson Palmer. Palmer, no doubt, is going to welcome the big target in Utecht with the hope he'll be able to make hay underneath and force teams to get out of the deep zones that blanket wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmadzadeh.

Since running back Chris Perry's injuries robbed Palmer of his best underneath threat, his 2005 completion percentage of 67.8 percent dipped to 62.3 in 2006 and 64.9 in 2007.

Utecht, a restricted free agent out of Minnesota, has made 30 starts and played in 41 games in the shadow of Colts Pro Bowl tight end Dallas Clark.

Source: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6687
    Last edited by CTA513; 03-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I would love for the Bengals to get Utecht. I hope this deal goes through but I'm not going to hold my breath after seeing two previous FA signings have some serious issues to say the least, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Hopefully the Colts don't match....

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I would love for the Bengals to get Utecht. I hope this deal goes through but I'm not going to hold my breath after seeing two previous FA signings have some serious issues to say the least, LOL
    The other two were trades.

Odom and Blackstock worked out pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The other two were trades.

Odom and Blackstock worked out pretty well.
    Oh gosh, you're right. Thanks for the correction. I think my head is just confused after a long week, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Kevin Jones and DE Kalimba Edwards out there

are these guys worthy, I think adding anybody on defense cant be bad.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...FL&majteam=DET

Two hours after his release was made public, 12 teams showed interest in former Lions RB Kevin Jones.
    No visits have been arranged, but teams are putting out feelers. Jones claims he'll be ready to play by July, but being able to run is one thing and being able to line up as an asset in an NFL backfield is another thing altogether. It will be an upset if Jones plays at 100% in 2008

Lions released DE Kalimba Edwards.
    The Lions gave Edwards a huge contract two seasons ago in hopes that he'd develop into something more than a situational pass rusher, but it never happened. He was scheduled to make $3.9 million this season.
    Source: Detroit Free Press

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Hopefully the Colts don't match....
    I really don't thiink they will, not with a healthy Dallas Clark.
    This is without a doubt a great signing for the Bengals...one less thing to worry about on draft day.

The Bengals seem to be doing a good job of filling needs in free agency. They haven't signed any superstars but they've brought in some quality players to fill roles and add depth. Hopefully this will enable them to take the "best player available" approach to the draft.

Supposedly the Falcons are trading DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders for the Raiders 2nd round pick this year as long as they agree on a new contract.

Hall *****ed about playing for the Falcons, have fun playing for the Raiders Mr. Hall. You'll be sickly rich, but they are going to suck for a long time.

Utecht? Sweet.

This is a good pick up, purely a receiving threat for the most part. Great hands and quickness for his size, big target finally for a Bengals' QB, to go along with a 6'4" Henry and 6'2" + TJ.

Utecht has some big play ability and is an ideal outlet guy. At $3mm a year, I suspect he'll see quite a bit of PT and do some blocking. Pretty thin though for a blocker.

Probably the best/most accomplished pass catching TE we've seen here since Tony McGee, and he was a short one who could block some.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Hopefully this will enable them to take the "best player available" approach to the draft.
    As long as it's the "best defensive player available" I would be good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    As long as it's the "best defensive player available" I would be good with that.
    .....in the front 7.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?